Search for content in message boards

Peter Davy

Peter Davy

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davy
These Davys possessed large land holdings in New York, but all their possessions were confiscated after they pledged their loyalty to the Mother County. Peter and his family lived in New York State prior to the Amrican War of Independence. Apparently he did not emigrate to Upper Canada. Several of the children sympathized with the British in the American Revolution and fought with the British. It is believed the entire Davy family, with the exception of Peter, moved to Upper Canada after the war ended.

The children are Mary, Hannah, Elizabeth, Christina, Daniel, Henry, John, Michael, Peter Jr., Thomas and George.

More information available by request.

Re: Peter Davy

Jackie (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2006 3:39PM GMT
Can you please contact me at Jackie_84@hotmail.com

Jackie jones (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2006 2:21PM GMT
I would like more information. It must be my relation but I know very little Please email me at Jackie_84@hotmail.com Thanks

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 2:42PM GMT
Do you know if this Peter Davy went to North Carolina? I cant trace my Davy line out of NC. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Reynolds
I wish I could help you. It is unknown whether my Peter Davy stayed in New York or if he immigrated to Ontario with his children.

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 11:20PM GMT
Surnames: Davey/Davy/Davis, Schaeffer, Saltsman/Salzman
Dear Poster: I have been researching this family because I am trying to find the parentage of my Adam Davey/Davy married 1771 in Stone Arabia, Montgomery Co., NY to Catherine Schaeffer. Do you know when your Peter married Maria Magdalena Saltsman? If your Peter were my Adam's father, and my Adam were 21 at his marriage, he would have been born about 1750, making him the eldest of Peter's children. Since Adam served in the Revolution as Patriot, it would make him the only Patriot in a Loyalist family. I'd think in that case that he would be apt to be disowned.

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 1:04AM GMT
The only Adam Davy in my family is Adam Wellington Davy, born born April 9, 1815 in Ernestown Township, County of Lennox and Addington, Ontario

Re: Peter Davy possible son of Adam, Otsego, New York

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 6:45PM GMT
Edited: 31 Mar 2012 6:46PM GMT
I have just started researching the Montgomery/Otsego/Herkimer Co Davy/Davey/Davie folks. My Davy's were not the royalists, as far as I can tell. They stayed put in New York and were mostly poor. More than one migrated to Oswego County.

I have two Davy lines that I know of. Either or both may go back to Adam. One stops with Jefferson Davy, born in Otsego about 1805. He married Martha Hale from Herkimer Co. Can't find a death record, can't make the leap to identifying his parents.

The other goes back to Henry Davy, born 1791 in Otsego. He married Elizabeth Houk from Otsego. Elizabeth was daughter of Frederick Houk, who is living NEXT TO ADAM DAVEY ON THE 1800 CENSUS. On this basis, I think it's highly likely that Henry was kin to Adam, possibly his son, but I don't have any evidence to suggest the nature of the relationship.

Found the Cooperstown guardianship record that says Adam Davy had a daughter Catherine who was 16 on June 20 1812, and her guardian was Reuben Brown.

Would love to discuss these folks with anyone, either on this board or privately.

Re: Henry Davey of Springfield, Otsego Co., NY

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Davey, Houck/ Hoke
I have nothing on Jefferson Davey. Here are my notes on Henry:

Query posted by E. Rancier Date: August 28, 2002 - Henry Davey, farmer,born 1808 b. NY with his wife, Eliza Hoke, born CT 1808, lived in Middlefield, Ostego co., NY. They moved to Albion, Oswego Co., NY in 1830. In 1843 the family went to Parish, NY. Their son Henry A. was born 16 May 1821 in Middlefield. The 1880 census had a son, Joseph, age 24 living with Henry & Eliza, but he maybe should have been called a grandson if his age was correct. Both Henry & Eliza lived to be 88 years old. Eliza's father was born in RI and her mother in CT.

Henry A. Davey married Lucy Fyler also of Parish, born 1822. They had four children, two of whom died young. Winifield F., born in 1847, married Mary _____, born 1849 in NY. Their children were Warren, born 1868 and Durward, born 1874. They lived in Parish also in 1880. Later this family lived in Cicero, Onondaga county, NY. Henry A.'s daughter Atlanta M. married Septimus House and lived in Mexico, NY by 1894. In 1850 Henry A. had been a cooper. By 1880 he called himself a retired farmer He also served several terms as a Parish assessor. Lucy died 7 Aug. 1880. Henry A. remarried Miss A. E. Coan. Henry A. died after 1910. He was still a resident of Parish in the 1910 census.

http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:NOfPJafxuO4C:www.geocit... - 1. John Fredrick Hoke was born Abt. 1755 in East Greenbush, Rensselaer, New York, and died February 16, 1829 in Otsego, New York. He married Margaret Shaver September 06, 1771 in Minden, Montgomery, New York.

Cherry Valley Gazette - 22 Mar 1888 Henry Davey of E. Springfield died Mar 5 funeral Meth. Epis. Ch. Sat 10th leaves wife, 3 children and mother.

22 Oct 1874 E. Springfield, Mrs. Henry A. Davey Obit

26 Feb 1829 Springfield, Henry Davy, Sr., age 54 frozen to death.

I agree these were likely related to my Daveys, but as yet I haven't found the connection. A Capt. Thomas Davey was killed at Oriskany during the Revolutionary War. I have wondered if they might be his descendants. I also notice that one of Henry and Elizabeth's children was named George Washington Davey. I wonder if your ancestor could have been a Thomas Jefferson Davey, and went by Jefferson. It's a thought anyway. Thomas as a given name runs in the family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic