Search for content in message boards

John Adam Adamson

John Adam Adamson

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 5:39AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Adamson
My husband's great grandfather emigrated from Varmland, Sweden to New Zealand. He died in 1917 at 63 and his death certificate states he was here for 40 years which means he was born approx 1850. His marriage certificate in 1896 lists parents as what appears to be Henry Adamson and Mary Brumbech but the writing is not clear.
He emigrated with a brother.
I have been unable to find any record of his arrival or details of his parents in Sweden and would welcome any information.

Re: John Adam Adamson

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

do you know what year he immigrated? Do you know the name of his brother? Did they immigrate together?

Is there any chance that you can scan the marriage certificate, or at least the names of the parents?

I didn't get a match when using the information that you provided but I don't mind having another go

Let me know

Anna

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 11:21PM GMT
Hi Anna

Thanks for the response

Unfortunately I very little information although I do have a scan of part of the hand written marriage certificate which I have attached. I have guessed what his mother's surname may have been based on what it possibly sounded like when spoken with a Swedish accent as the writing and spelling indicates that the person filling in the certificate was not very profficient at written English.
I understand that John and his brother did emigrate to NZ together and because they possibly worked for their passage there is no record of them on passenger lists. John was a carpenter by trade.
I don't know whether they came directly to NZ - It may have been via the UK the US or Australia.
They apparently arrived in Christchurch (or Timaru) and went to the West Coast of the South Island from there. I found a grave site in Ross which is on the West Coast of the South Island for a Henry Adamson - Roman Catholic but all church records were destroyed in a fire. I know that John was a catholic and may have left Sweden because of his religon - I understand that the Catholic religion was not popular in the mid 1980s.
John's death certificate (1917) states he had been in NZ for 40 years so his arrival would have been in approx. 1877.

Regards

Dale
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:07AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2013 12:12AM GMT
Hi,

is there any chance that you can scan just the birth place, fathers and mothers details in a higher resolution? Its really quite hard to see what it says?

Have a look at the fathers name... doesn't it say Adam E Jonson? The mothers name Mary/May I./J. Jonson? We had a patronymic naming convention back then so that would make sense. The boys names would be Adams-son.

I cannot see what the first name of the father is, starting with H...Henry?

What does it say on line 2?

The birth place is interesting, the second line looks like it ends with ...gatan. Gatan means street in Sweden.

Did his brother get married by any chance? If yes, his marriage certificate might be clearer in terms of the handwriting.

Let me know what you think and if you are able to scan it in a higher resolution, just those last bits

Anna

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:02AM GMT
Hi Anna

I will get the original photocopy from my father in law - my husband will see him on the 16th.

I assumed that his parents names had been anglisised and read them as Henry Adam Adamson and Mary Adamson - maiden name Brumbet. The closest Swedish surname I found for Brumbet was Brumbech. (A Maria Lovisa Brumbech)

His father is listed as a carpenter.

The typed copy lists place of origin as Hernggahn but I can't find any place with that name in Sweden. I have tried all the variations of how it possibly should have been spelt but have drawn a blank so far.

My father in law is 88 and his Grandfather John Adamson died about 6 years before he was born - he does not remember if he ever heard John's brother's name.

A lot of the early records in NZ were terrible

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 10:23AM GMT
Hi,

what you could do is to post a message on the Swedish genealogy board asking the same question. There is an English section there and the people are really knowledgeable and helpful.

Make sure to provide all the details that you have in one post (including the name of his brother), which will help them trying to find him for you including these two URLs (death and marriage certificates).
http://tinyurl.com/atmrr4s
http://tinyurl.com/ar3odw6

There forum is free of charge but you will have to register in order to create a post (don't worry, there are no spam emails sent out at all).

http://aforum.genealogi.se/discus/
1. Get a user account, link at the bottom of the page
2. Then go to topics and choose "discussions in english", link at the bottom of the page.

I hope that helps
Anna

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 6:24PM GMT
Thanks Anna

I will try that - the only information I had found was in Swedish which I don't understand apart from a few words

Regards

Dale

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 6:41PM GMT
Hi, click on the american or british flag top left :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic