Search for content in message boards

Hurley family Cork, Ireland

Hurley family Cork, Ireland

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hurley
I am seeking information on Hannah Hurley Skibbereen Ireland. I have her death notice but no dates and it's hard to read. Appears that she died between 1917-1930 I believe - it seems she was buried at Castlehaven. Officiating clergy was Rev. J Collins. Also states that she died at her husband's house - Moneyvoluhane.

If any of this rings a bell, I would really appreciate some assistance!

Thank you!
Colleen

Re: Hurley family Cork, Ireland

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 7:49PM GMT
I wish I could help you more. I research the Skibbereen area heavily. I have Hurleys in my direct ancestral line too.

Was Hannah's husband Patrick Hurley? There are a few notices about the family in the Irish News Archives at http://www.irishnewsarchive.com. You would need to search Southern Star, narrow your search with something like Moneyvol* NEAR/8 Hurley and narrow the date range.

Some news story dates of possible interest:

30-Dec-1922 p. 1
12-Jun-1937 p. 7

Sorry I didn't see anything about Hannah though.

The Irish News Archive is a subscription based site. I bought a one-week subscription over Christmas vacation and it has just about run out.

P.S. Rev. J. Collins may have been a clergyman in my Grandmom's extended family.

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 12:11AM GMT
Surnames: Hurley, Donovan, Regan
I wonder if either of you has information on a Betty (Elizabeth?) Hurley, who married Daniel Donovan and who lived in Rosscarbery? The couple had at least two children: Daniel Hurley Donovan (1815-1872) and Francis (Frank) Donovan (?-?). Both sons immigrated to America in around 1824, possibly with their parents. Daniel Hurley Donovan married Ann (Hanora?) Regan (who was also born in Rosscarbery) in Philadelphia in 1835, and eventually settled in St. Louis.

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 6:01PM GMT
Hello, thanks for your note. Sorry I know so little about the Hurleys.

It sounds like the records you need fall before the range of available church records online. The local priest in Rosscarbery may have earlier records available. Have you contacted him?

http://www.corkandross.org/parishes.jsp?parishID=54

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 9:54PM GMT
No, but not for lack of trying. Several letters sent in the past three years have remained unanswered. Thanks.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 2:03PM GMT
My mom is from Bandon, County Cork which isn't that far from Skibbereen and she had a aunt, Hannah Murphy, who married a James Hurley. I don't know if this is your Hannah but thought I would mention it just in case. From what my mom remembers, James was a cattle drover who worked mainly in England sending money home and coming home to visit sometimes. They had 5 children: Nora, Nellie, Mary, Sheila and Thomas. The children moved to England when they were adults and James stayed in England after Hannah's death. I don't have any dates.

Anyway, I hope this might help you or at least someone else out there.

Pat

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 6:54PM GMT
Do you have any dates to go with these names? I'm looking for a Mary Hurley from around Bandon, who married a James Cronin. Maybe the Mary you mention as a daughter of James and Hannah is a possibility. My Mary Hurley Cronin would have had a child around 1844 - give or take a year. Not sure if this was her first but I suspect so.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 8:12PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2012 8:13PM GMT
Sorry, your Mary Hurley Cronin is much too early to be the same as mine. Hannah Murphy Hurley was born around 1898. Hannah's children, including Mary, are my mom's first cousins and my mom was born in 1922.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 9:13PM GMT
Ok, thank you for replying.

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 5:55PM GMT
If you log onto IRISHGENEALOGY.IE you will find the church records for Cork and Ross . There you will find a marriage record for James Cronin and Mary Hurly married in Bandon on the 10th of June 1843 . I could not find any baptismal records of children belonging to this couple .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic