Search for content in message boards

Translation needed of passenger info - from German?

Translation needed of passenger info - from German?

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 3:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Zimmerman/Carpenter
Can anyone help with a translation for this?---------

Ship Passenger Lists, Pennsylvania and Delaware (1641-1825)-------

Einwanderer in Pennsylvania vor 1700," Jahrbuch fur Auslanddeutsche Sippenkunde, 1 (1936), 53-54 [lancour No.116].
Zimmerman, Heinrich, Arzt aus der Schwiez, 1698. Sein Sohn Emanuel, angesehener Berater des pennsylvanischen Sektentums, hinterliess 7 Sohne, von denen 6 vielkopfige Familien hatten. Die Nachkommen haben ihren Namen in Carpenter umgewandelt.
Zimmerman, Maria Margareta, Witwe des schwabischen Magisters Johann Jakob, Anregers der Chiliastenauswanderung nach Pennsylvanien, mit ihren 4 Kindern 1694 eingewandert

Re: Translation needed of passenger info - from German?

Posted: 16 Mar 2009 11:57PM GMT
Kim: I contacted a friend of mine and this is what the translations comes out to:

"Immigrant in Pennsylvania before 1700 (see Year book for foreign German genealogy, 1 (1936), 53-54 [lancour No. 116]
Zimmerman, Heinrich, MD from Switzerland, 1698. His son Emanuel, distinguished advisor to Pennsylvania Sectism, left 7 sons behind, of which 6 had large (vielkopfig = many headed) families. The descendants have changed their name into "Carpenter". Zimmerman, Maria Margareta, widow of the "Schwabisch" Magister Johann Jakob, initiator of the Chiliastic emigration to Pennsylvania, with their 4 children emigrated in 1694."

Schwabisch (language: German) = adjective to the region of "Schwaben", a region in the middle part of Germany (around Stuttgart)
Magister (language: Latin) = a person with an academic degree for teaching, mostly juridicial subjects, economics or math. Often combined.
Chiliastic (language: derived from Greek) = adjective to being a Chiliast = one who expects the 1000 year "Reich".

Hope this helps.

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 5:23AM GMT
German is not my native language, so I welcome any corrections or refinement of this translation. [My comments are added in brackets]:

Immigrants in Pennsylvania before 1700", yearbook of foreign countries of Germanic origins [tribes or groups of German speaking people], 1 (1936), 53-54 [lancour No.116].

Zimmerman, Heinrich, doctor [physician]from Switzerland, 1698. His son Emanuel, respectable advisor of the Pennsylvania sect, left 7 sons, of whom 6 had many descendent families [heads of families]. The descendants changed their name to Carpenter [Zimmerman is an occupational name meaning Carpenter in English].

Zimmerman, Maria Margareta, widow of the Schwabian master Johann Jakob Anregers of the Chilean emigration to Pennsylvania, immigrated with her 4 children 1694. [not certain of the translation of the word Chiliasten auswanderung.]

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 5:33AM GMT
Thanks for the much clearer translation. I had know knowledge of the Chiliastic belief or concept and mistranslated the term "Magister".

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions