Search for content in message boards

quereau

quereau

Posted: 27 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 8:07PM GMT
Surnames: Quereau
Josue Quereau, came from Brittany France sometime around 1685. Is anyone doing any research or do you have any info of this family on the french side?

how to look for relatives in France

Yves MERIADEC (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
You should try to find possible cousins on
http://cousinsgenweb.francegenweb.org/

birth records

Dave Shano (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LeChenu, LeShane
Please advise me of an address for the City Hall, or Archives for St. Malo, France. Specifically for Phillipe, Charles & James LeChenu (later LeShane) around 1749
Thank you.
I am prepared to write "en Francais", hopefully via email.

birth records, St. Malo

Posted: 19 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2002 9:57PM GMT
St. Malo and the entire department of Cotes du Nord records have been copied by the LDS Church. Go to your nearest Family History center and rent the film(s) covering the years you need. (There are over 3000 FHCenters around the world.)
You can also search their list of films at

A listing of Family History Centers is aavailable at that site as well. e-mail me if you need help locating one. I may be of some help in deciphering the handwritten documents as well.-N. Allen
Good luck with your search. I have had excellent respnses from French volunteer researchers when hitting a dead end!

Posted: 20 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
I'm so sorry, my Breton geography is not too accurate. Do try contacting the Ille et Villaine Archives Departmental. They may be willing to recommend an affordable researcher who could get you started.
It appears that the LDS Church has not been able to copy the records of Ille et Villaine (just like my department of Finistere). Bon chance!

Thanks Nancy, but...

Yves MERIADEC (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thank you Nancy for this very good idea.
A slight correction however:
Saint Malo is not in the Cotes-d'Armor departement (#22) (formerly named Cotes-du-Nord) but in the Ille-et-Villaine departement (#35). So look at the map on the site I mentioned in my previous mail.
Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
I can't believe I wrote three paragraphs and they were lost because I omitted a surname!!! (That's why I used mine.)
There is no public information on why many departments in France have refused to allow the LDS Church to copy their records to microfilm. Rumors go from demands for perfect copies to requests for more gift copies of the film or more gift readers than the Church is willing to negotiate.
In any case, it causes us to become creative. 25 years ago I wrote the archives in Quimper, Finistere and asked for help. They responded with answers to the immediate request for marriage dates and sent the name and address of a resarcher who would be able to help. That sweet man got us through a name jungle that would have been difficult for me to decypher. Unfortunately, he died a few years before we had saved enough to make a trip to Finistere and I never met him. My point is that the archives does want to help.
Yes, going to those archives is the most productive way of locating the records. I got a bonus by locating family that we had never known; that has been a joy for all of us!
Good luck as you try to sort this out.

Illes-et-Villaines

Jacynthe (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Do you know why the LSD Church was not able to copy those records. I'm searching for an ancestor from St-Servan, diocese de St-Malo and can not get information. Thanks

ad 35

Jacynthe Thibaudeau (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bri�, Breilly, Breille, Breyer, Brayer, Breguier
En 1739, un de mes ancêtres se marie à la paroisse Pointe-Claire, Nouvelle-France. Sur l'acte de mariage, il est écrit "Pierre Brié dit St-Pierre de la paroisse St-Servan diocèse de St-Malo fils de feu Martin Brié et feu Marguerite Lecours..."
J'aimerais retrouver son acte de baptème, la date de décès de ses parents ainsi que leur mariage et tout autre information les concernant. Et surtout, quel était leur véritable nom. Car au fil des années et des curés, ont retrouvent leur nom écrit de différentes façons : Breilly, Breille, Breye, Breyer, Brayer, Bruguier...

Merci à l'avance pour toute aide et je peux en échanger en effectuer ici au Québec.

Picot de Boisfeuillet Family

Patricia Dresselhaus (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Picot, de Boisfeuillet, de Andelot, de Arthelot
Where does one write to in St. Malo for Catholic records prior to the French Revolution? The Picots were apparently from a Noble family in the area, which goes back to the 1400s with Oliver Picot.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic