Search for content in message boards

Frances Dorsett of North Carolina - 1742

Frances Dorsett of North Carolina - 1742

Posted: 24 Oct 2001 11:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:28PM GMT
Received info that a FRANCES DORSETT settled in N.C. in 1742, it sounds like he may be part of the line of our Solomon Dorsett, if anyone has any info concerning this name please send an email to melbaw@msn.com

Re: Francis Dorsett

Ron Clearwaters (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2002 3:00AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:31PM GMT
My mother is a Dorsett and her father was Shirley Blaydes
Dorsett; son of Henry Preston Dorsett; son of Abijah Dorsett; son of Duty Dorsett; son of Solomon Dorsett and
he was the son of Francis Dorsett. They lived in Siler
City, Chatham Co., N.C. (That is Francis and Solomon - the
others came to Morgan and Putnam Co., IN) We are trying to
find the dates of Solomon and Francis' birth and death. Also
there marriage dates and the names of their wifes. We have
been told Francis was married more than once and that Solomon was married to a Rebecca or Susanna or Birdie ? Can
you help us, please?

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 3:40AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:31PM GMT
My Solomon Dorsett was born about 1795 -1797, not sure where, he married Elizabeth Bradburn May 11, 1819 in Burke Co. NC. His son was William Head Dorsett, his son was Alfred MaddonDorsett, his son was Bennie Allen Dorsett, his son, my husband, is Bennie Allen Dorsett II. There was a Solomon Dorsett that married an Elizabeth Cresmon, Dec. 25, 1824.in Burke Co. NC. I am not sure if this is the same Solomon Dorsett. I have been given info that Solomons father was Francis Dorsett, but I don't have confirmation. There seems to be several Francis and Solomon and it has been hard for me to make all the connections, don't know if this will help, I have a lot of descendents from William Head Dorsett if you would like that info, You can email me at melbaw@msn.com

Re: Solomon Dorsett

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: Dorsett
Dear Ronnie,
This is Kelly, Esta's granddaughter, Bill's Daughter.
I have some of this information:
Solomon was married to Rebecca (Birdie was a nickname) Duty
and Francis was also married before Rebecca McSwain to a Rachel Prather in Maryland before he went to North Carolina. I have this information if you want to contact me, my email address is kcash1227@yahoo.com

Francis Dorsett -- MD >> NC

Pauline (Dorsett) Washburn (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2005 6:19AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:33PM GMT
I would like to get any information on Francis Dorsett out of Maryland, who moved to N.C. I am a decendent of that Dorsett branch. Also any info on his son John, any any on John's brothers or sisters.

Posted: 3 Jul 2006 9:32PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:34PM GMT
I also believe I am from that line, I believe that Francis had two sons named John, One be between 1734-36 whose mother is Rached Prather, I think my line. and the other b. 1760 the son of his second wife Rebecca McSwain.
I think my line goes as follows, Francis/Rachel Prather Dorsett to John/b. c1736 MD and UNK to Francis (B 1759, Chatham, NC) m. UNK to Solomon b. 1797 Chatham, NC m. (Sarah Crosson or Elizabeth Crosmon ot sarah Elizateth or Elizabeth Sara and the spelling is confused because of the similar pronounciation) to John Crosson/Crasmon Dorsett B. NC/d. IN and Mary E. McCart to Framcis Marion Dorsett and Rachel Mary Elliott Fletcher to Walter Dorsett b. 1880 and Elizabeth Anne Ammon. to my ffather Walter Kermit Dorsett b. 1917 Champaign IL and died 1965, Urbana, Champaign Co., IL
Ive done a lot of searching on this line lately, I think I have good lists oa all the siblings and mandy of their children of my ancestors. I have based some records on other's information, some on census, personal records death certificater and obits, and the published indexes I have found.
I have questions on a lot of things in this line, too many to post now. I hope this information will give some of you a clue to whether we have the same line.

Re: Francis Dorsett - Jane Prather

Ron Clearwaters (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2006 12:56PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:35PM GMT
I have Francis Dorsett, my Revolutionary War Soldier md to Jane
Prather in 1723 with children: Rachel, John, Henry, Ann, Jane, &
Francis. His son Francis md Rebecca McSwain in 1759 and have
these children: John, Solomon, Rebecca, Henry & Nancy. My
line is from Solomon who md Rebecca Birdie Duty abt 1791. There
children were: Billie, Henry, Duty, Russell, Frank & Abijah (all males)
Duty, my line again, md Rachel Edwards Sept 12, 1813 in Chatham
Co., NC and they have 15 children. My line is thru Abijah born Nov.
2, 1820 and died May 3, 1897. He md Mary Jones here in Putnam
Co., IN on Jan 30, 1842. They had 10 children, my gt grandfather
was Henry Preston Dorsett.

Re: Solomon Dorsett

Posted: 16 Jul 2006 5:19AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:36PM GMT
I believe we are from the same Solomon Dorsett line. I have this Solomon marrying Elizabeth Bradburn, May 11, 1819 in Burke Co., NC. having one son, my husband's ggrandfather, William Head Dorsett. Then this same Solomon marrying Elizabeth Crasmon, Dec. 25, 1825 in Burke Co., NC. and having more children. William Head Dorsett also named one of his sons Francis Marion Dorsett, my line comes through William Head Dorsett's son, Alfred Maddon Dorsett. Alfred Maddon Dorsett named a child, Marion Francis Dorsett. The reason I say a child is that the 1910 Census in Okla names a daughter, but some of the family say it was a boy, so I will have to do more research. The child died at 9 years of age.
It seems that was a common name in this Dorsett family line.
I believe this Solomon's father was named Francis, but I have not totally confirmed it to my satisfaction. Any info you have will be appreciated very much. Melba

Posted: 10 Nov 2008 9:48AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2008 5:37PM GMT
I am also descended from this Dorsett Family. My data shows that the original Francis had two sons named John, one from each wife. I think the first John b. before 1736 is my direct ancestor. I have no wife named for either John, but do have Children from sources and a list from a cousin's son who now lives in New England. E-mail me if you want to know something about this line. I may have the data you want, and if I have kept good records will also have the sources. Even when I don't have a source listed, I know that I found the data somewhere.

Virginia Dorsett Severns
v-sev@illinois.edu

Posted: 25 Aug 2009 4:02PM GMT
Melba, hope you're still watching the message boards. This is in response to your 2002 posting. I tried to email you, but it failed, so you must have changed that info.

My interest is William Head Dorsett and his family. In addition to your ancestor, William also had a son, Robert, b. ca 1851. I am trying to tie this Robert into the Robert who consorted wtih Calamity Jane in Montana in the 1880's. Do you have any data on him?
Elaine Dorsett
per page

Find a board about a specific topic