Search for content in message boards

GRANTS of Glen Moriston, Inverness Scotland to NY to Glengarry Ontario

GRANTS of Glen Moriston, Inverness Scotland to NY to Glengarry Ontario

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 3:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRANT of Inverness Scotland, NY, and Glengarry Ontario
Hello,

I am trying to tease apart the different families of GRANTS who were listed on Sir John Johnson's rent rolls in Johnstown, New York in the Mohawk Valley right before the American Revolution. Most of the Scots who were tenants enlisted in the British army and re-settled in the Glengarry area.

I have the following heads of households listed in the rent rolls:

Peter Grant
Finlay Grant
Donald Sr and Donald Jr. Grant
Archibald Grant
Duncan Grant
Alexander Grant
Angus Grant
Allan Grant
John Grant

Multiple sources of information suggest that one family grouping was:

Donald Sr. came from Glen Moriston with his family and two sons old enough to hold land as tenants: Donald Jr and Archibald. All three have UEL claims on file. I have two puzzles associated with this group.

The first puzzle is whether the Donald Sr. from Craskie, Glen Moriston was REALLY born in 1744 and his son Donald born abt 1768. That would make Donald Jr. only 5 years old when he went to New York. Does anyone know more about the general practice of land tenancy? Could Donald Sr. have taken on land for his 5 year old son? This doesn't seem likely since each claimant had to testify and there was evidence of multiple acres of cleared land. Or is the Donald born in 1744 really Donald Jr., which would suggest Donald Sr. may be a brother of John Grant of Craskie (b 1722).

The second puzzle is whether the John Grant on the rent rolls is indeed "Big John the Robber." There are two conlficting stories about when Big John came back to America:

one version is...After the Battl e of Culloden (The '45) he spent 14 years as a prisoner in Barbados, returned to Sc otland in 1773. Came to Canada 1784 with wife, sons Angus and Peter.

another version is..John was taken prisoner with 81 Grant Clansmen after the Battle of Culloden in 1746. They were shipped to Barbados to work as slaves on the sugar plantations. Fourteen years later (this would be 1760) Big John was set free and returned to Scotland with seven other survivors. In September, 1773, John with his son Angus and Angus’ wife Ellen MacDonnell sailed from Fort William for New York on the ship Pearl with 125 Clansmen, 100 women and 200 children to form a colony in upper New York State.

If the first version is true, then this group of Grants probably does not include Big John. If the second is true, then the John on the rent rolls is almost certainly Big John.

The ages of Big John's kids are also a puzzle. Angus (1747-1817) seems to be the only one that was born in Glen Moriston before he was shipped to Barbados that there are good records for. The others, including Peter, appear to have been born between 1770 and 1777. That would make them too young to be tenants (unless, again, Big John could take out land in their name). Here's my guess:

"Big John the Robber" Grant, his sons
Allan and Angus, both children of Mary McIntyre, his first wife, born in Scotland on or before 1747.

and three of Big John's brothers:
Patrick Peter b. 1745
Alexander b. 1745
Duncan b. 1750

all of whom were sons of Angus Grant of Duldreggan, Glen Moriston.

That would leave Finlay Grant as the only unmatched person. We know that a Finlay Grant filed a UEL claim saying he had come from Scotland "14 years ago" which I am estimating to be about 1770 (I think the claims were heard in 1784). If that date is right, it would be likely he was a soldier in Fraser's Highlanders who had not been able to secure land for his service and settled on Sir Johnson's lands. If not, he could have come with the other Grants in 1773.

I have found a Finlay Grant b. 1723 in Glen Moriston, m. Caroline McLeod. Had John Grant b. abt 1761 in Scotland. All three appear to be buried in Williamstown, Glengarry, Ontario, although I have conflicting information on Finlay's death. One source says he died in 1806. Another says that the actual gravestone for Finlay Grant in Williamstown says that Finlay lived between 1784 and 1806.

I would appreciate any information folks have that can help me sort this out!

Thanks

Kim

Re: GRANTS of Glen Moriston, Inverness Scotland to NY to Glengarry Ontario

Marion Lees (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2006 8:07PM GMT
Have just viewed your message on Roots Web.com re Grants of Craskie, Glenmoriston

My GGGG Grandfather was Patrick Grant of Craskie ( Black Peter ) Possibly the younger brother of John of Craskie - Black Peter was one of the Glenmoriston Seven who hid PCES after Cullodin

I have various data that might be helpful

Marion

Posted: 21 Oct 2006 10:18PM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2006 2:40PM GMT
According to a list of the Kings Regiment dated 1782, Angus Grant shows as a Private. They would have had to be here before that. View that here;

http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/krrny.htm

My wife and I and other relatives are spending much time on this at this time, so keep in touch!

Michael and Kathleen O'Brian

Posted: 13 May 2010 5:29PM GMT
Hi Kim: I am a descandant of the Grant's who lived in Moose Creek, ON. You may already have read 'Days into Decades' - written by Lois Grant. In it, John the Robber Grant was described as having been sent to the Barbados, returned to Scotland, then came here on The Pearl to settle in the Mohawk Valley. I don't know if this helps, but I'll pass it on. My younger sister (of 15 years) was asked by her doctor if she/we had any black ancestry as she was being treated for keiloids (sp), Later discovering our relatives traced back to John in the Barbados. It would be good to hear from you. Cynthia

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: Grant
The Peter, Finley and John Grant I think they are my side of the family. After Rev. War John was killed and Peter, Finley and Johns wife and kids went to N.B. Canada I think John was Widow Grant's wife. The names are all in my family tree. And It is about the time frame.

Richard Grant

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 3:29PM GMT
The Finlay & John in the rent rolls are father and son. They came up from NY and settled on Sir Johnsons land. My husband is descended from this line. They are not related to any of the other Grants on the list. Also there may have been another son Lewis, but I haven't been able to confirm this at all.

I have not been able to find much about Finlay, his wife or son John. I've suspected that perhaps Finlay was a middle name or nickname since I have been unable to find anything about him further back.

I sure could use help on these folks.

Ulla

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 9:38PM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2011 1:10AM GMT
Surnames: Grant
Hi Cynthia, Lois Grant is my mother and I know your name from Scotty and Lois' many discussions about her book. I am trying to get some information on the ship, The Pearl, and hence found my way to this website. I am reading Days into Decade again and offer this paragraph regarding Big John ..."Among the families of Grants aboard the Pearl that fall was that of Big John the Robber who had paid so dearly for his part in the Rising of 1745. Big John was now past his prime, his health in a weakened state because of his years spent in slavery in the West Indies. His son Angus, who had been a small child at the time of Culloden, was in charge of the family party. Angus was married to Ellen Macdonell of the Leek whose father was Captain Archibald Macdonell and whose brothers were the leaders of the expedition." This is somewhat vague and it suggests that Big John did not make it back to North America. However, in looking at the family tree in the book, page 229, Lois shows "John Grant of Glenmoriston (d. circa 1780, probably in New York). So, indeed, Lois and Scotty must have concluded that Big John did come back over on Pearl.

Would love to hear from you ... feel free to drop me an e-mail. Nancy

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 10:41PM GMT
hello!

I am a descendant of Grant's who lived in Glenmoriston, Scotland as well. My ancestor was Alexander Grant who married a Anna McIntosh who was born in 1770. They had a son named Angus and he married a Jane Cameron presumably middle to late 1810's sometime. Angus and Jane then moved to Nova Scotia, Canada. If anyone has a marriage date or birth date for any of these people I would very much appreciate it!

Cameron Steinbusch
Winnipeg, Canada

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 4:09AM GMT
My ancestor Alexander Grant of Glenmoriston, b. about 1756 and married to Ann or Nancy MacDonald took up Lot 8, Concession 4 (the first Grant at "Grants Corners") and I'm trying to figure out whether he could have been the Alexander Grant in this list. He was still alive in the 1851 census at age 95, and is listed as having been born in Scotland. Would he be the head of a household in 1773 though? Only 17. Any ideas welcome.

Regards,
Cathy Edwards, Ottawa

Posted: 22 Oct 2011 7:04AM GMT
Hi: It is five years later but I wonder who was the wife of your Peter Grant.
Anne Neuman UE
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions