Search for content in message boards

Bennett's in Tennessee

Bennett's in Tennessee

Diane Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2000 6:46PM GMT
I am looking for Bennett's or Judkins from Smith County or Dekalb County Tennessee. mollie was my gg grandmother,(indian)Also any information on the family of ten killed by a train in Gordensville Tennessee.

Train Accident

Jo Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2000 9:57PM GMT
Diane, what year and month did this terrible accident happen? Jo L wulfgar@yahoo.com

Name

Jo Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2000 8:32PM GMT
I had to reply because my name is Jo Bennett Geisler. I thought I was the only Jo Bennett in the world, though I know several Joes. I am trying to get information on my grandfather, Samuel Brunson Bennett who died in Dothan, AL.

Bennetts in Tn

Richard G. Bennett Jr. (Rick) (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2000 7:42AM GMT
Don't know if we're related, but my Family is from the Johnson City area. I know there's an Ada Bennett there. Her husband who passed away within the past ten yrs was "R.W. Bennett." They have a son named Sonny. Also, there's a Bennett there who's the head trauma nurse and she's married to the chief cardiologist at the local Univ Hosp.
My father was "RW's" Brother. His name was Richard Garner Bennett.
Hope this helps.......Rick

James Bennett

Genevieve Byrd Carter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2000 5:58PM GMT
James Bennett-wife Mary Peacock? Four children James Washington,William McGee, Newton Arnold and one girl Susan Ann or Anna. Parents died when children were small. Two children was raised by a John Sallie Chalker. The other two was raised by a family named Robinson. They were born somewhere around Dothan Al abt 1850 to 1870 If anyone has any information would you E-mail me. Thank you Genevieve

Train accident

Diane Douglas (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2000 5:59PM GMT
The train accident was April 24, 1949. Killed in that accident were, Mr. and Mrs. Jess Bennett, their three sons, their daughter, Mrs. Paulie Dickens, her husband and child, and Mr. W.E. Bennett. Buried in Gordensville Tennessee in the Bennett Cemetery.

W.E. Bennett

Jo Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2000 6:51PM GMT
Diane, do you know anything about the W.E. Bennett that was killed in the train accident? How old he was? Where he was from? email me at: wulfgar47@yahoo.com Jo L

train accident

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2000 12:05PM GMT
Jo, I am sending you three pages from a newspaper clipping about the accident. I hope you get it. Diane

Bennett's of Tn

ROBIN CLEGG (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2001 10:30PM GMT
Am searching for info about my g-grandmother Finnette Bennett and her family.My grandfather Walter Finn Bennett was born in Buck Mtn.,Nc but am told his mother and most of the family lived around Johnson City,Tn on resivour hill.One of them was a caretaker of the property or something.Her children were Chester,Luther,John,Lizza,Dove,and Walter.She was a housekeeper for an Erwin family.I have family stories and pictures but no dates and do not know what happened to most of them.They would have lived ther in the 1930's and 1940's. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.Thanks Robin

The Bennetts of Tn

Richard Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2001 7:40AM GMT
Ok, here's some info for you.
I recognize the names Walter, Chester and Luther from family conversations, but don't know their family connection to me.
The following information I do know is factual:
Lillie Garner Welsh, m. 3.13 1892 (to) Marion Shell Bennett, Johnson City, Tenn.;
6 children

1. Maggie Alese (1.25.1893),
m. 8-11-1909, Geo. Washington Worley
(Iss.:Geo. Marion, 5.15.10; Jas.Th. 12.8.1912; and Helen Gertrude Worley, 11.6.115),

2. Randolph Welsh "R.W." Bennett (1.6.1895),
m. 9.2.1917, Alma "Ada" Thelme Steffey
(Iss.: Thelma Isabelle, 11.4.1920).

3. Charles Marion Bennett (12.3.1896),
m. 9.25.1926, Luster Tranum.
(No Children)

4.Irene Aston (6.3.1899),
m.5.17.1922, Floyd Saunders Riggle
(Iss.: Marion Alese, 7.4.23, and William Rudell Riggle, 9.25-4.25).

5. Ernest Floyd Bennett (6.13.1902),
m. 2.5.1926, Gladys Wlswick.

6. Richard Garner Bennett, (12.7.1911)
M. Frances Marie Sharpe
(Iss Richard Garner (4-19-1946)<~~~This is me

Marion Shell and Lillie Garner Bennett were my great grandparents on my fathers side.
Lillie Garner was a decendant of Richard Lynch Garner, who was a famous anthropologist who at one time had several displays in the Smithsonian Institute. He was murdered back in 18something while on a train traveling from D.C. to Fla. He was on his way to Cuba to investigate a new primate that had been discovered. When the train got to Miami, he was found dead.

My father, Richard Garner Bennett, died around 1973 from heart failure while living in Tx. He and my mother had moved to the Washington, DC area in or around 1950 and had seperated and gotten a divorce around 1953.

In 1988, I went to Johnson City to look up family and visited my uncle (Randolph Welsh)"R.W." and his wife "Ada". They have one son "Sonny" who is slightly mentally handicapped.
We stayed with them for dinner and met several other Bennett's.
One of those I met is the Senior Cardiologist at (I believe Tenn. State Univ. Hosp.) and his wife (she's the Bennett)is the head E.R. Nurse there.
Another had owned a grochery chain and after retireing, had purchased a mountain with lots of acreage around it. There was a small little "general store" at the base of the mountain that they now ran, to keep themselves active.
"R.W." died about 6yrs ago, but his wife "Ada" and "Sonny" are still alive. They had a daughter "Thelma" also, but I didn't meet her and didn't hear her name mentioned while I was there.

I'm 54 yrs old and have two Daughters.
Tracy Marie Hilton and Susan Ann Bennett.
Tracy's 28 and Susan's 22.
Tracy has two daughters (Candice) who's 9 and (Carrinne) who will be 1 yr old on March 7th.
My present wife is Eileen Marie.
We live in Stafford County, Va. about 35 miles S. of Washington, D.C.
I'm retired as a journeyman Plate Printer, from the U.S. Treasury, Bureau of Engraving and Printing in D.C. ... I use to print that "green" stuff and Postage Stamps.

Hope this helps fill in some gaps in your search.....or maybe it will create a lot more questions....
Rick Bennett

Tenn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic