Search for content in message boards

William Robinson CAIN

William Robinson CAIN

Posted: 25 Jun 2002 12:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CAIN, BURNETT
b. 1 April 1821 probably in Howard County MO and d. 9 April 1893 in Falls City, NE. Middle name comes from his grandmother Margaret Robinson, 3rd wife of James BURNETT.
He m 16 March 1843, in Platte County, MO, to Mary LOAN (b 24 Mar 1824 in Hardinsburg, KY, d 29 June 1899 in NE) daughter of Joseph Wright LOAN b. PA 28 July 1793 d 14 May 1877 in Platte CO and Susan POTTS 1800 - 1870. The LOAN family lived about 3 miles east of Platte City where they had a large family reunion in 2 Jan 1877 attended by numerous CAIN descendants.
A brief history of William Robinson CAIN that he wrote:
"Genealogy of William Robinson CAIN. My grandfather, Bailey CAIN, was of Irish descent and was born in Virginia, married in VA to Katherine Rodgers who was of Scottish descent was born in VA. My father, Robert CAIN was born in Fauquier County VA, 5 April 1791, was a soldier in the War of 1812, was married to Jane BURNETT in Shelby County KY in 1813 and died in Platte Count MO 14 Sep 1868 when he was 77 years, 5 months and 9 days old.
My mother was named Jane BURNETT, b in VA and died in Platte County, MO in 1847. Her and father had 9 children, viz,. Bailey, John, Sarah, William, Newton, Glen, Bettie Ann, Mary and Thomas. My father married a second time to Bettie Ann May, widow of DR W. S. May. She and father had 4 children, viz,. Burnett, Emit, Franklin and Henry. Bailey and Sarah died in early youth, Glen O. at the age of 6, Mary at about 12, Thomas at about 18, Bettie Ann at about 24, John B. at the age of 64 years, less 16 days, he died 14 Dec 1880."
According to the tombstone, Jane BURNETT CAIN died 3 Jan 1849.

Re: William Robinson CAIN/Robertson?

Posted: 23 Jul 2002 5:05PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2003 2:14PM GMT
The Howard Co. Mo., caught my attention. Our Cain group, came there about the time frame yours was born. Ours had some info written in a Cain-Robertson book. The name spellings could vary as they so often seemed to. Robertson and Robinson could be connected? What info lead you to Howard Co.? John Cain, Born 1773, Surry Co. North Carolina, moved to Madison Co. Ky., then to Howard Co. Mo. His Mother, Celia Steelman Cain was with the travelers. She is buried there. There is some confusion as to who the husband of Celia Steelman Cain was, given as Thomas Cain. So far nothing found as to his parentage. She seemed to be a widow .We know about John. Their were older brothers, Benjamin and Daniel. Benjamin, we have Rebecca Stanfield, wife. Children and their destinations not completely known. Daniel is pretty well documented. There is some thought that the Husband of Celia, had been married previously, with other children. These are not known to us. Many questions still unanswered.

Mary Lytton (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2002 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: CAIN,BURNETT
Howard county was where William claimed to have relatives.
He was called William "Robert" in some accounts. But since his grandmother's maiden name was Robinson, I suspect, Robinson may be correct. Apparently he and his brother Isaac Newton Cain went to California for the Gold Rush after the death of their mother on 9 Aug 1849. Apparently an account of their trip is in a book by W.S. Green called, "History of Colusa County, California" A few years before his death, this item appeared in the Liberty Missouri Tribune, 26 Dec 1890,
"Judge W.R.Cain of Falls City was visiting his son-in-law, Rev J.S.Smith and family last week. Judge Cain was a citizen of Clay County many years ago. His father, Robert Cain and Mr. George Burnett, another pioneer of the county, came here in 1823, coming up the river in an old flatboat from Old Franklin, Howard County. They landed near Randolph." He was called Judge because he was a justice of the peace.
According to other records, His mother was Jane Burnett born 1797 in Pitts County, VA and died 3 Jan 1849 in Platte County, MO. Her father was James Burnett married to Margaret Robinson. The George Burnett he came to Howard County may have been his brother-in-law. There is a George Burnett listed as a step-brother to Jane.

Re: William Robinson CAIN/Robertson?/Howard Co.

Posted: 13 Aug 2002 5:01PM GMT
Very interested in whatever info you may have. We only have a small part of the Cain/Robertson info, which may have been written by William Cross, or his name is mentioned on some of the top pages. Sally Blythe, daughter of Oney Gentry Martin Blythe Cain, had married a Cross. John Cain ( OUR ANCESTORS),had first married Ruth Blythe,(believe the Blythe people were siblings, and spouses married each other after their deaths. John Cain, George Cain and their Mother Celia Steelman Cain, moved from North Carolina, to Madison Co. Ky, then to Howard Co. Mo. James W. Cain, son of, James Cain of John Cain and Ruth Blythe Cain, and Matthias Cain, his brother, both went to California in 1849, with gold rush seekers. James W. Cain, died there in 1850 , Oct.1. Matthias returned to Mo. to Adair Co. during Civil War. Will sort through and see if anyother to post. //Bet these Cains all went together. We do not have a good feel for the origin of ours yet.

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 2:44PM GMT
Lots of mysteries in this Cain Family. Our Ancestor, John Cain, born North Carolina, 1773, Surry Co. He first married Ruth Blythe and went to Ky. First son James Cain, (our Ancestor) was born ca 1799. Son Thomas, given as being born, 1803 and died 1804. Daughters Winifred (1805), Married Phillip Robertson, Celia (1808), married Washington Conner. Thomas, Winifred and Celia are given as being children of Oney Gentry Martin Blythe Cain. The marriage record of John and Oney Cain, in Madison Co. Ky. gives marriage date as 1817. Possible that Oney was the only mother they remember, and that they were actually children of Ruth Blythe Cain. James H. Robertson Jr. of James H. Robertson Sr. of Phillip Robertson? seems to have actually put the material together, with some being taken from material of William Cross. (Oney Blythe Cain, daughter Sally Blythe, married John Cross). So like all good history that we have, it had to come down through several generations, and some may have been confused in the journey. The James Robertson Jr. made his home according to pamplet in Flagstaff, Arizona. This information gives our John Cain, as comming into Mo. early with Daniel Boone and/or his sons, on hunting and scouting trips. Doesn't every family have some who came in that way? In our family research, we have found where brothers going to different parts of the County or State may have taken different spellings of their Surname. Who knows, these Robertson/Robinson people may have had the same Ancestors.(Again we claim James Cain, as first known son, as James and Ruth Blythe Cain may have been married in 1795, which would give ample time for others to have been born before James. There are some in Madison Co. which do not seem to belong to anyone. Maybe they were older siblings of James Cain? The more we work together, the more accurate info may fall into place, making much stronger family trees!

lynn henning (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2002 12:00AM GMT
juanita-john brother daniel'f family married into the daniel
boone family. Our cousin louis cain eaton and her brother
william are descendant of both sides--lynn

Cathy Dwertman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2002 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Cain in Ky.
HI,
I I have been reading the threads posted by you and Juanita Cain.
I am descended from Daniel Cain, who I believe to be the son of Peter Cain Jr. They lived in Knox County and Whitley County in Ky. and then a few left for Crawford County Arkansas. Is this any connection to your Cain's?? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cathy

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 1:18AM GMT
can you give me more information on your daniel cain? Such
as appx date of birth. I have been thur 5 note books on the cain family and I do not find a peter. There is only a note
to eaton-cain with the name of peter who they were unable to
connect to our family. Are you scott-irish in descent?

Re: William Robinson CAIN

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 1:27AM GMT
will you be willing to send me your complete family history so
that I can add it to my cain/robertson file for research for others.

Cathy Dwertman (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Cain
HI Lynn,
My Daniel Cain was born abt. 1806 in either Tn. or North Carolina and died in Whitley County Ky. in Jan of 1850. He married Pricey (Priscilla) Hatfield in Knox Cty. Ky. His Father was Peter Cain Jr. born about 1784 and died 1814. Peter Cain Jr. Father was Old Peter Cain who was in the revolutionary war. I heard they were of German decent but I can't back that up.I know Peter Jr. had a sister named Catharine who married another military figure Hugh White. Daniels son ( My Gr Gr Gr Grandfather) was named for him Hugh White Cain.
Any relation? Any help? Thanks
Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions