Search for content in message boards

A. Tappan of St Clair MI

A. Tappan of St Clair MI

a pryor (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2003 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tappan/Tappen/Tappin/Tapping/Topping/Williams/Simpson
Asher Tappan and Polly Simpson moved with their children from NY to St Clair MI. Allan, Atchison, Asher, Benjamin, Bradford, James V, John, Rochester, Hannah, Alzina moved to MI and David and Deborah stayed in NY. Allan married Mary Jane Williams of Canada and moved to NE. Allan and MJ Tappan had atleast 2 children, Esther and Miles who were born in MI. Esther married 2 brothers from Macomb MI: Albert Crawford, then after his death, Norman Crawford. Norman and Esther moved with their children to VA. Miles Tappan married Miriam Ball. I have lost Allan and Mary Jane after 1885. I would like info on any of these Tappans and will gladly share what data I have. Some of the St Clair records have various spellings for the family members.

Re: A. Tappan of St Clair MI

Posted: 6 Feb 2003 10:47PM GMT
Use these links to aid in searching. By 1880 I think Asher Sr. & Polly are both dead. I couldn't find hiom in the Mich. 1870 census. THe children are spread out over the US.

Michigan Genealogical Death Indexing System
http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/PHA/OSR/gendisx/search2.htm

1870 Michigan Census = Free site
http://envoy.libofmich.lib.mi.us/1870_census/

1880 US Census – The Mormon Church Files LDS (Free and searchable)
Look for 1880 US Census on the left side of screen
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

a pryor (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2003 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: Tappan/Tappen/Tappin/Tapping/Topping/Simpson/Williams/Lindsay/Kenyon/Crawford
Thomas, You are kind to respond. I have used all the links that you cited. Perhaps listing these links will help someone else who is searching. I have been fortunate to find a lot of information on the various members of Asher's family in county links in NJ, NY, MI, and NE. I do not yet have everything on everyone so I am still looking. I am especially seeking to complete Allan Tappan, Asher Tappan, and Polly Simpson Tappan.

Asher died in 1858 and I did find both he and Polly listed in the Rosehill Cemetery in St Clair. According to family records, Polly died in 1884. The cemetery lists it as 1834 so I expect that part of an 8 is worn and misinterpreted by the transcriber. I have not yet been successful at finding Polly in the 1880 census. The History of St Clair by AT Andreas pub in 1883 lists Polly as living with her daughter Abzinia but she is not in the 1880 census. Perhaps, she was living with another family member when the census was made. I have found most of the sons and she is not with any of the ones I found. I have not found Courtland or Hannah Lindsay who may both be deceased by 1880 census. One of Alzina Kenyon's daughters married a soldier; perhaps Polly was helping with a greatgrand baby in 1880 but I did not find a legible census record for Mary E. Kenyon Baker. I also have not found the married name or any facts on the daughter Deborah or the son David Tappan who remained in NY when the family moved to MI.

a pryor (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2003 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: Tappan/Williams/Simpson/Lindsay/Kenyon
With many thanks to Tom, we found Polly Simpson Tappan in the 1880 St Clair Census. She is living with Alzina Tappan Kenyon but she is listed as Polley Toffin and Alzina has become the widow Elzina Kinyon. We also found Alzina's daughter Mary E Kenyon Baker living close by. As Tom says, it was not unusual for young folks from neighboring farms to marry. One neighbor of the Kenyons was Charles Baker and it would appear that he is the father of the Charles N Baker that married Mary E Kenyon. Mary is hoh by 1880.

I am still seeking info on Hannah Tappan Lindsay and her family. There are some Lindsays still in St Clair but it was also a big family.

Maybe one day I will also learn the married name of the older daughter Deborah Tappan that remained in NY with her brother David Tappan. I have nothing at all on either.

Of course I still want to fill in a few holes on the sons Allan , John, James V, Rochester , Atchinson, and Bradford. I have MI marriage records for John, Allan, Atchison, Bradford, and Rochester and most of the brothers in the 1870 and 1880 census but would love listings from the 1860 MI census or Asher Tappan in 1850. I do not have a death date on John. I do not have anything yet on Benjamin except that he died in NE.

Tom added some good data on this family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions