Search for content in message boards

Surnames: Arnesdatter, Espeseth, Faanes

Zella VanOfferen (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2003 1:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
I would appreciate information on the following :

GERTRU ARNESDATTER who was born 4 Nov 1825 and died Jan 1911. She was married to OLE OLESON ESPESETH on 4 July 1846 in Bruflat, Norway. Ole was born 11 Sept 1824 and died in 1892. They had a son OLE ANDREW ESPESETH, born 23 Feb 1849, who came to America in the early 1870's, marrying ASTRI BRANDEN in Dane County, Wisconsin, USA, in 1872. Astri was born 22 Feb 1852 in Valders, Norway.

JOHN PEDER FAANES who was born 27 Apr 1854 (or 4 April, 1854) in Tronjhem, Norway. He was in the Norwegian Navy. He married CAROLINA REGINA JOHNSTONE (VIKALEIRET?) on 30 Dec 1878 (1879). They came to
America in 1883. Carolina was born on 25 Mar 1859.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Re: Surnames: Arnesdatter, Espeseth, Faanes

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 5:24AM GMT
You seem to have some good information on your ancestors.
I think Bruflat is in Telemark fylke in the south of Norway.
But at familysearch.org I found that someone has submitted genealogy for this family, and has Bruflat Oppland Norway.
so I could be wrong.

go to this page
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

type in Ole Espeseth
and you will see ancestral files for Ole Espeseth - click on that and then scroll down and click on Submitter Details. Then you will see the address of the submitter.

She has Dalyville Wisconsin for the younger Ole's burial, but also has his father in Wisconsin too? But the mother Gertru Arnesdatter, who seemed to live longer she has dying in Norway. Hmmm.

Ole Espeseth can be found on the 1880 census - search here, his wife seems to have Americanized her name to Esther (or the census taker did)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?P...

It has him born 1848 in Norway. Living in Maple Grove Township, Barron Co. Wisc.

There were nine with the last name Espeseth or close spelling to that living in Barron Co. wisconsin. Perhaps other relatives who had come from Norway? The son Gilbert was born there in 1879? Perhaps there is a birth record for him or a church record?

1508 Arne Espeseth m 66 stone mason N N N 136 Cumberland Barron Co.
1992 Ary Espeseth m 28 f N N N 155 Dallas Barron Co.
1993 Knudt Espeseth m 22 bro Wis N N 155 Dallas Barron Co.
1994 Julia Espeseth f 19 sis Wis N N 155 Dallas Barron Co.
2263 Ole Espeseth m 32 f N N N 164 Maple Grove Barron Co.
2264 Esther Espeseth f 27 N N N 164 Maple Grove Barron Co.
2265 Ole Espeseth m 6 Wis N N 164 Maple Grove Barron Co.
2266 Gilbert Espeseth m 7/12 Dec Wis N N 164 Maple Grove Barron Co.
23303 Halver Espeset m 24 lab N N N 362 Vermont Dane Co.

The descendants also seem to be posted for the sons Ole and Gilbert and their sister Ida born later.

The info on that LDS familysearch.org site is not always accurate - just what someone posted from their own research - and sometimes some extrapolation. But it might be someone to contact.

Good luck,
Taryn

Bruflat Valdres Oppland - Espeseth

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 5:43AM GMT
I checked my map book again, there is also a Bruflat in Oppland fylke in Norway. In Valdres.
sorry for the confusion.
Check out this website
http://www.slektsbiblioteket.com/pages/eng/kilder.asp

scroll all the way down to the bottom and type Bruflat into the last box, click search.

and email the two guys who have the book for that area, that includes Bruflat parish and ask them about these ancestors.

http://www.slektsbiblioteket.com/pages/eng/kildervis.asp?id=...

I do find Faanes farm in Frosta parish in Nord Trøndelag, north of Tronheim.

Good luck,
Taryn

Re: Bruflat Valdres Oppland - Espeseth

Lars B (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2003 12:43PM GMT
Since Bruflat means "Flat (land) by bridge" I would not be surprised if it exists other places in Norway, too. But you seem to have found the right one already.

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 4:13PM GMT
You should try posting the Bruflat Valdres Espeseth information on the Oppland query board. Title it with the place names - (Bruflat, Valdres, Espeseth) which should get the attention of people interested in those areas. Good luck,

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=l...

Also, Faanes you could post on the Nord-Trøndelag board, which gets a lot of good action. Faanes Frosta Trondheim
would be a good subject line for that post.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=l...

Good luck,
Taryn

Re: Bruflat Valdres Oppland - Espeseth

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 4:50PM GMT
Thank you so much for this information. It will be invaluable as I continue my search. Gilbert Espeseth, who was born in Barron County in 1879, is my Grandfather. I have recently moved to the Barron County, Wisconsin area and have obtained a copy of his birth certificate and have the church records of his baptism. I will be following up on the leads you gave me.

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 6:01PM GMT
Thank you again so much. As a beginning genealogist I appreciate all of this information very much.

Posted: 2 Dec 2005 10:55PM GMT
I believe JOHN PEDER FAANES and KAROLINE were the parents of Carl John Faanes in Northern Wisconsin. If that rings bells, please let me know.

Posted: 3 Oct 2007 8:03PM GMT
Hi

I have some info of Gjertrud og Ole and theyr ancestors from Etnedal
Send me a mail with your e-mailadress:
einar.t at online.no

Einar T. Endrerud
Nordre Land, Norway

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: Faanes
Yes they were Carl John's parents. Karoline is spelled "Karolina" and "Carolina" in other sources! It gets confusing. CJ Faanes was my grandfather. He was married to Myrtle Weigen (or WEGAN/WEIGAN) about 1920 and they had two sons. My dad, Alton, was born March 16, 1921, and my uncle Eldrue was born in November 1922. They lived on a farm north of Prairie Farm, Barron County, when my dad and uncle were born. Carl John (known primarily as John) was killed on June 3, 1954 in Cameron when he drove his car over a railroad track on the west side of town, about a block from home, unaware that a train was bearing down on the crossing. I have figured out where their farm was near Prairie Farm. Now I'm trying to track down their wedding date and in what county they were married.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions