Search for content in message boards

Looking for a passenger list for the SS Phoenician (1882)

Looking for a passenger list for the SS Phoenician (1882)

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 12:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know if there is a passenger list online for The SS Phoenician of the Allan Line (Montreal Ocean Steamship Company) that left Liverpool for Halifax, Canada in May 1882? I know that my Great Great Great Grandmother Ellen Downs (Barrett) James and her children Bessie, Mark and Eli James came over on it, but I have reason to believe that her brothers Noah, Peter or Eli Barett might have come over with them as well. I would also really like to know if Ellen’s husband was on the ship or already waiting for her in North America. I’ve been trying to hunt down an online transcription or index of passengers to find some answers but have been having no luck. If anyone could help me out, I’d really appreciate it.

Re: Looking for a passenger list for the SS Phoenician (1882)

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 5:36PM GMT
Is her husband William James? You didn't list his name in your post!

Are you looking for the actual manifest or just a data listing of the passengers.

I can help, just don't want to duplicate what you already have.

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: James Barrett
Yes William James is indeed Ellen’s husband’s name. I wasn’t sure if he was on the boat with them as he came to the U.S. for a short while before everyone else, so I didn’t think to add the name. He must have gone back for the others, which is very interesting.

As for whether I’m looking for the actual manifest or just data, it really doesn’t matter at all. For the large part, I’d just like to see individuals on the ship with the last name James and Barrett, but any information would be great. No worries about duplicating information because the only thing I knew was that a portion of the family (at least Ellen and the kids) came across on this ship at this time. Anything aside from that fact is all new to me.

Here’s a list of the names that should be on board:

William James – would have been about 47 at the time
Ellen James – would have been about 31

Mark James – would have been about 5
Eli James – would have been about 4
Bessie James – would have been about 2

William and Ellen also had a son Joseph in 1882, though it’s not entirely clear whether he was born in England or after they landed in Canada. According to sketchy family lore, Ellen was expecting while they were on the ship and was so close to being due that the family got off in Canada and stayed rather than continuing on to the United States. Not sure how much of that was true.

Also, Ellen had at least three brothers names Peter, Eli and Noah Barrett that came to Canada as well and I was wondering if there was a chance any of them, or any other Barrett or James relatives, might have come on The Phoenecian with William and Ellen.

Thanks so much for offering to help. I really appreciate it. Please let me know if there are any other names, dates or information that I might be able to give that could help. I also have a personal genealogy web site: www.thebluebox.tribalpages.com that has information on the family as well.

Best regards,
Justin James

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 12:17AM GMT
Thank you for your reply!

Sent you a private message and will be in touch with info soon.

Quite a large group traveling together!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions