Search for content in message boards

Terpstra surname

Terpstra surname

Posted: 21 May 2013 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Terpstra
I'm searching for any information on the family history of Hendrick Terpstra b. 1896 d. 1981. He came to America from Holland around 1918. He is my daughter's great-grandfather. Her grandfather (John Terpstra) has been able to give only very limited information about their family. All he seems to know is that his father (Hendrick Terpstra) came from Holland. Hendrick Terpstra was married to Anna Jungerman.

Re: Terpstra surname

Posted: 22 May 2013 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Tepstra, Jungerman
Hi there,

Here is what I found so far.

Anna Jungerman. I found a website showing the location of her grave with the following information:

Terpstra, Anna A. (Jungerman) b. Oct 3, 1910, d. Apr 8, 2001, s/w Hendrick Terpstra, Center Section

(Hendrik is also buried there)

http://www.interment.net/data/us/wi/sauk/pleasant/valley.htm

Assuming the birth year is correct, I found only one birth record matching the year on wiewaswie.nl

Child:Hendrik Terpstra
DOB:maandag 28 september 1896
Father:Jannes Terpstra
Mother:Akke Zetzema
Event:Geboorte (birth)
Date:maandag 28 september 1896
Place:Smallingerland (located in the province of Friesland)

https://www.wiewaswie.nl/personen-zoeken/zoeken/document/a2a...

One issue is that his immigration record on Ancestry.com lists Hendrik Terpstra arriving in New York from Rotterdam on 24 FEB 1916 on the ship "Nieuw Amsterdam"

His birth date is listed as "ABT 1897"
His age is listed as 19
His birthplace is listed as "drachtein" which is a town/place located in Smallingerland

I would assume they wrote down the wrong birthdate? since the location and name matches the birth record.

Looking at the scan of the document, the handwriting is hard to read but it appears his listed occupation was a carpenter. Also, can't tell if he he came by himself for sure (I can't read the heandwriting in the document) but it does look like it.

Also on Ancestry is records on:

1930 census which shows him married to Anna and living in Excelsior, Sauk, Wisconsin.

His naturalisation papers showing it took effect on 2 NOV 1918 in the court district of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa. (This document lists his correct birthdate unlike the immigration records).

Also his WW1 draft registration card listing him in the La Crosse County, Wisconsin.

All of these records would back the birth certificate found on wiewaswie.nl as being your Hendrik Tepstra.

A quick look on google found the following link to a family tree which if correct, list further ancestors for Hendrik Tepstra.

http://www.genealogieonline.nl/stamboom-deelstra-bijker/I214...

Posted: 22 May 2013 1:42PM GMT
Thank you so much! Your information explains the confusion I was having of the different birth dates. Somewhere along the line he must have changed the spelling of his name from Hendrik to Hendrick. With what you have given me, I think I have gotten past the block I was having. You are awesome! Thank you so much!

Posted: 23 May 2013 5:53AM GMT
No problem, happy to help :-)

It is a common problem I ran into with my own family tree with names being misspelled.

Posted: 23 May 2013 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: Terpstra
See my answers to your other message at the US General board. I've found his ancestors back to the 1700s.

Posted: 24 May 2013 3:13PM GMT
Awesome! I'm heading to that forum right now. Thank you so much!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions