Search for content in message boards

US Veterans Administration Station, Waukesha

US Veterans Administration Station, Waukesha

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 6:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information about the US Veterans Administration Station #R30 Waukesha Annex. I have records indicating that a relative was an inmate there in 1940. Would anyone know what type of facility this was? Prison? Asylum? I cannot find any info on the facility.
Thanks for any help!
Michael Rowe

Re: US Veterans Administration Station, Waukesha

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: Wise, Henry A.
Hi Michael,

I saw your post about the Veteran's Administration Station R-30 Waukesha Annex. We too have a relative on the 1940 Census that is listed as an inmate at the same facility. Have you had any luck in finding out what type of facility this was? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Alison Tiskevich

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 3:49PM GMT
Alison,
From what I've been able to gather from the VA in Milwaukee the Waukesha Annex first came into use right after WWI as a TB hospital. But by 1940 it was no longer used for that purpose. I do know that the use of the word "inmate" was common and only indicates that the person was a patient. According to my source at the VA there is a library in the current VA hospital and an historical centre in Waukesha that should have more info on the hospital. I'm still trying to find out whether the facility was for medical or psychological patients. If I find anything out I will let you know.
Hope this is of some help...
Michael

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 4:44PM GMT
Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the information. I will pass this information on to my brother also. I also have been speaking with a couple of people at the VA in Wisconsin. If I happen to gather any information myself, I will certainly share.

Sincerely,

Alison T.

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 6:13PM GMT
Alison,
I would indeed be interested if you find out any new info. I've been a bit preoccupied with another line in my family tree so I've put this aside for the time being. You might try calling the Waukesha Historical Society as well as the VA.
Good luck!
Michael

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 3:21AM GMT
Has anyone found out anything about this place since the last post? I, too, am interested in learning more about what kind of facility it was and whether any patient/inmate records still exist. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions