Search for content in message boards

John Ras RODGERS b 1852 AL m Caroline TUCKER

John Ras RODGERS b 1852 AL m Caroline TUCKER

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 8:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Aug 2008 4:54AM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Tucker
I am attempting to locate information on my great grandfather, John Ras Rodgers. He was born abt. 1852 in Alabama (according to 1880 census). My grandmother (his daughter) told me that he was full-blooded Indian. My father (her son) supposedly informed his wife at the time, that he was Cherokee. I have been unable to trace our Rodgers line back any further than Ras. He was born in Alabama, married in Mississippi and moved to Arkansas. It is possible that he left the Arkansas area and migrated with his family. I have also had a family report that he may be buried in Rison, Arkansas. I have hit a brick wall. I am trying to locate Ras's parents and any possible siblings. His wife was Caroline Elizabeth (Lizzie) Tucker. They had 11 children and 9 of those children lived. Can anyone help? I am trying to document Indian heritage. Seems as if Ras has dropped off the face of the earth. My grandmother married a Hankins, she had sisters that married Sowrheaver, Owen and Willis's in the Lincoln/Cleveland County, Arkansas areas.

Re: John Ras RODGERS b 1852 AL m Caroline TUCKER

Posted: 7 Aug 2008 11:24AM GMT
Stephanie

According to Cleveland County AR marriage records John R RODGERS + Caroline E TUCKER were married in that county October 22 1874. Both gave their age as 21.
A copy of this record may be available from the courthouse.

Here's a possibility for John R's parents/family.

1860 Drew Co AR. Mill Creek Twp.
PO : Cornersville. PG 89
DW/FN 77
RODGERS
R M 31 wm TN (Rufus Morgan)
M R 31 wf TN (Mariah)
J R 8 wm MS (John Ras ?)
S M 5 wf MS (Matilda)
W M 3 wm MS (William)
T W 1 wm AR (Thomas)

1870 Drew Co AR. Mill Creek Twp
PO : Branchwill
DW 30 FN 42
RODGERS
Morgan 41 wm TN Farmer. Eligible to vote.
Maria 41 wf TN Keeps House
John 17 wm MS In School
Matilda 16 wf MS At Home
William 13 wm AR In School
Thomas 11 wm AR In School
Richard 9 wm AR In School
Bailey 7 wm AR In School
Missouria 2 wf AR At home

1880 Dorsey Co AR. Miller Twp
PG 382A
RODGERS
Rufus 51 wm TN ~ ~ (HoH)
Mariah 51 wf TN VA VA (Wife)
William 23 wm MS TN TN (Son)
Alice 20 wf MS ~ ~ (Dt in Law)
Franklin 14 wm AR (Son)
Nathan 8 wm AR (Son)
WASHINGTON George 30 Mu AR (Laborer)

1880 Lincoln Co AR
Owen Twp. PG 50D
RODGERS
Ras 27 wm MS
Lizzie 26 wf MS (parents b AL)
Jannie 4 wf AR
Mary 2 wf AR

Next door is Dick RODGERS age 20 and wife Jane 21.

You may find additional information by posting to the RODGERS surname board and the location boards for where they resided.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 7 Aug 2008 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Tucker, Hankins
Kathy,
Thank you so very much! I was at a standstill but by looking at this it appears I may have been very close. I ran across Rufus, also and even tried to dig around with that. I did search some of Drew County and even did a search using Mariah. My grandmother mentioned her name but with me being such a novice...Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! If you were here I would give you a hug! The age for Ras, below, ties in with the age he would have been at the time of his marriage to Caroline Tucker. Also, I thought that he may have had a brother named Walter or something along that line. My grandmother was Jannie and Mary's sister. I, in fact, vaguely remember meeting some of the elderly siblings. It appears that Jannie and Mary Rodgers may have died at an early age. The family tells a story of one sister (possibly Jannie) and her children, having been murdered by her husband. There was a suspicous drowning as they crossed through water in a wagon. I have not been able to locate anything on Jannie after the 1880 Census. Maybe I will find it eventually.
At any rate, thank you so very much. Are you by any chance, a relative? The Hankins side of my family came from Virginia by way of Tennesse and then on to Arkansas.

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Tucker, Hankins
Kathy,
Wanted to let you know that I have been able to verify the information that you provided in your email.I double checked the Cleveland and Drew County records. Also, my 94yo aunt just informed me that Nathan Rodgers was her uncle and that he had actually lived just a road or so away from her. I think the family may have destroyed any information linking them to the Indian side of the family. I think that there may have been the fear of being pushed off of the land in the area. After reading some of the government treaties, I can see why. I would have felt the same way. So now all I am feeling is mad about it. Appears that some people felt they had no choice, especially when you read about the condition of the land that they were alloted. How dispicable. Not to mention the fear of being rounded up like cattle and put into pens and fed slop until they broke your spirit. I am thankful that a new generation is showing an interest in their Native American heritage. My next step is to search the "rolls" at my local library and to get some reference materials.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions