Search for content in message boards

Grundbuchblätter

Grundbuchblätter

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello everyone,

I've received a lot of help over the years reading the very informative answers to posts on this site, particularly from people like Carl and Karen. A cousin of mine was able to obtain the Grundbuchblätter from the War Archive in Vienna for my 2nd great-grandfather, born 1843 in what is now Veľký Lipník, Slovakia. I'm hoping that the folks on this list can help me interpret/translate the entries on the document. Carl's excellent introduction has helped me to understand the categories and some of the data filled in, but I'm pretty much at sea over the longer entries in the document. Can anybody help? Here is what I think is correct so far:

Book 4, page 54

name: Johann Mamrila

Ort (place): Velky (or Nagy- the Hungarian) Lipnik

Herrshaft (dominion)- Magura- Magyar (Hungarian)

County- Zips (Szepes)

Land- Hungary

Birth Year- 1843

Religion- Greek Catholic

Stand (married or unmarried)- ?

Profession- ?

Enlistment Info- I can just make out 14 March 1865 and in IR 67 (which makes sense for the recruitment district). I can't make out the rest of the sentence.

Personal Description-
Stature- ?
Hair- light brown?
Eyes- brown?
Eyebrows- /
Nose- ?
Mouth- ?
Chin- /
Face- ?
Distinctive Marks- ?
Language Spoken- ? (It should be Slovak)
Vaccinated- Yes
Height- 60 3/4

Service Records

I can only make out the year 1867 repeated a number of times and Wien (Vienna).

I've attached the document, and if anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks,

Robert Thomas
Attachments:

Re: Grundbuchblätter

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 9:22AM GMT
Hello,
unfortunately only 2 entries that I could figure out:
- MAGURA is not Magyar, but a mountain, this case the name of a smaller administration district of the county Zips/Szepes
- Stand (married or unmarried): ledig=unmarried

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 11:45AM GMT
Congratulations on obtaining the personnel record for your gg-grandfather and for you kind words.

IR67 fought in the Seven Weeks War in 1866 against Prussia. IR67 was in the 4th Corps of Austria's Army of the North. It fought at two battles in this war at Schweinschädel and at Königgrätz.

The resolution of the grundbuchblatter image is too low to be able to read it. Could you send it again at a higher resolution?

Carl

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 9:02PM GMT
Thank you for agreeing to take a look. Here is (hopefully) a higher resolution image. I've done quite a lot of work on this family, but I was thrilled to find this particular record, as it is for the father of my immigrant ancestor. He settled in Kosice after his service and died there prior to the 1st world war. He was said to have been a career soldier, but I haven't been able to verify that. Thanks,

Robert Thomas
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 9:08PM GMT
The new image I've posted is the highest resolution the site will allow me to upload- I'll attach some close-ups of a few sections as well.
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 9:15PM GMT
Here is the close-up of the service records section of the Grundbuchblätter for Johann Mamrila. Can anyone make any of this out? Thanks

Robert Thomas
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 12:26PM GMT
The enlistment information appears to say that he was conscripted on March 14, 1865. He had a service obligation of 3 years on active duty, followed by 8 years in the 1st reserves and then 2 years in the 2nd reserves. He was assigned to IR67.

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 12:48PM GMT
boy this section is really hard to make out. It does mention Vienna as you indicated. IR67 was garrisoned in Vienna in 1867 so this makes sense. But the next part mentions Kaschau (Košice. I'm not sure what this means because IR67 home base was Eperies (Prešov). I just cannot make out the writing. Hopefully, someone else may be able to read what it says.
CK

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 5:09PM GMT
under the heading for Profession it says he is without any.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 1:11AM GMT
Carl,

Thank you for all of your help- I'm certainly farther along than I was. I might be able to clean up the final section some more as the size of the image drops as I zoom in. I'll try in a bit. In any case, I'm puzzled by the Kosice reference as well. He did live there until his death, and supposedly was a career soldier. He had children in Kosice from 1870-1880. Are there other records it would be worth searching out for Joahann?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions