Search for content in message boards

John William Hunter - Illinois

John William Hunter - Illinois

Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Nov 2012 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Miller
John William Hunter born 19 Aug 1895 - possibly Colchester, Il. Married Lucy Verna Miller 8 June 1917 Divernon, Ill. One son - Theodore Clifton born 21 April 1918 Yates City, Ill.
John William's parents were John Hunter and Mary Hodgens - I have no further information on ancestors - know there were relatives in southern Ill while I was growning up but names were never mentioned, or towns. John William Hunter was a rural school teacher in northwestern Ill and principal at Annawan H.S. prior to his death in 1952. John William had his left arm shot off below elbow in hunting accident as teenager.

John William Hunter - Illinois (James Miller)

Posted: 6 May 2001 2:50PM GMT
Edited: 26 Nov 2012 1:17PM GMT
Hi Judy,

This can be considered a shot in the dark but that's all I have at this point. I'm searching for info on my grandfather. His name was James Hunter and we believe he was born in early to mid 1890s. He and my grandmother, Flora (Flory) Josephine Cantway never married but did have a child (my father) named Norman Leo Willard Hunter. My grandmother was born and raised in Momence, Illinois. Any chance he could have been John's brother?

Thanks,
Lee
leehunter@att.net

Re: John William Hunter - Illinois

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 1:09AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Hodgson, Summerson
I have just been researching John William Hunter. He is my 2nd cousin 1x removed. His parents were John Hunter and mary Ann Hodgson. Mary Ann's parents were William Hodgson and Caroline Summerson. They emigrated to USA in 1869 from West Auckland, County Durham, England. Caroline's father, Samuel Summerson is my great great grandfather.

Regards Brian Tate (nopots) Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Hodgson, Summerson
Brian, Thank you so much for replying to my query of 11 years ago! I was hoping to reach a descendant of one of John's sisters here in the states, but am delighted to learn of relatives in England. I believe I am one more generation removed from Samuel Summerson as he is my great, great, great grandfather. Both of my parents died and left me boxes of photographs but without any names attached to them. I believe I have a snapshot of John Hunter and Mary Ann Hodgson in front of their mining shack in Illinois and a formal protrait of William Hodgson, but only going by facial characteristics. If you would be interested, please let me know how and I will get the photos to you.
Have you placed your family tree on Ancestry.com? I have not done that as yet.

Regards, Judy Snyder (bjsnyder)Prescott, Arizona, USA

Re: John William Hunter - Illinois (James Miller)

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Lee, My grandfather, John William Hunter did not have any surviving brothers. Sorry.
Judy

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Summerson, Tate, Davison, Nicholson
Hi Judy, How good to hear from you. I love finding photos - it brings the tree to life. I have my tree on Ancestry. If you click on 'nopots' it should give you my profile and email. The relevant tree is Tate/Nicholson. I have over 8000 names so you might find some interesting details. According to DNA analysis my closest male relatives are called Davison. Davisons emigrated to Canada in 1840's and New York in about 1870. I am in touch with Rick Davison from New York, now living in Portland. William Tate, my great grandfather married Mary Jane Summerson. His father was William Davison.
Please send email and would like to see the photos.
Regards Brian Tate
per page

Find a board about a specific topic