Search for content in message boards

Giles or Gyles Brothers that came to Boston in 1668

Giles or Gyles Brothers that came to Boston in 1668

John Patrick Giles (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Giles or Gyles
I'm trying to connect three brothers, Thomas M., James and John Giles (or did they spell it Gyles back then) to my family tree (it's beginning to look as if they are my direct ancestors and I always thought I had a tie-in with Kent, England (also looking for the "real" Giles Coat of Arms). They apparently arrived in Boston in 1668 as the following correspondence to me reveals:

Thomas Giles, brother of James and John, arrived in Boston with James; age 29, he moved to a large tract of land between Merry Meeting Bay and Muddy River in Topsham, Maine that he bought in 1669. On 8-2-1689 his wife and 4 children captured by Indians. He was shot several times, dragged around for awhile, then mortally wounded his captors finished him off with hatchets. An old Indian in the raiding party by the name of Moxus said he was sorry.

This was found in a book called "Oblivion and Dead Relatives Downeast" by Bruce Carter. It is a paperback, not very expensive. He jokes around alot but I guess this is true. Who knows!!

James Giles - brother to Thomas and John arrived Boston 11-9-1668 from London (Kent, England); moved to Topsham 1671; In 1681 he was seen at Piscataway, New Jersy.

John Giles, brother to James and Thomas
b. circa 1653
d. 8-29-1730 Age 77
m. Mary ??
He spent 50 years at Pemaquid.
7 children: Sarah, John, Charles, William, Thomas, Mary, and another Mary.

A John Giles was in Boston, Massachusetts in 1654.

A John Giles settled in Amherst, Maine 1802 from Massachusetts via New Hampshire.

There was a Jessie Giles in Shapleigh, Maine. He settled there in 1805, I'm thinking he is related somehow.

The rest is my form letter that I've been using for my inquiries:

I am researching the GILES family who came from Maine (ME) down to Pennsylvania (PA). Working backwards from myself, I (John Patrick Giles - m. Susan Lynn Harris) was born in Pottstown, PA on 10/6/1946. My father, J. Harold Giles (m. Mary Fegely McCaslin) was born in Williamsport, PA on 12/23/1909 and died 1/26/1963 in Pottstown, PA. His father was William Samuel Giles (m. Margaret Lauretta Ramsey) born in Duboistown, PA on 6/22/1876 and died in Parkerford, PA on 2/26/1946. His father was Daniel Howard Giles (m. Phoebe Jane Bevier) born in Old Town, Maine on 10/12/1841 and died in Williamsport, PA on 6/11/1913. His father, Samuel Giles II (m. Mary Elizabeth Anne Kimball), was born and died in Maine. His father was Daniel Giles (m. Mary Roberts). I am trying to find the link back from Daniel to 3 brothers that came over from England and the name of the ship so as to get back to England and start working on the family from that end. Always willing to share anything I have in my file. I use Family Tree Maker 7.5 and Generations 8.0.

Re: Giles or Gyles Brothers that came to Boston in 1668

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 7:39AM GMT
I know it's over ten years but did you get anywhere with where three brothers came from in UK? I've hit the same issue, and I'm working at the UK end!

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 12:34PM GMT
Any assoicated names to your Giles. I have Giles that came from somewhere in England, some wound up in ME, and later MA which is why I'm asking.

Taylor, Gibson, Nichols, Watts, Fountain, Smalley, are just some of the names in my family(mostly by marrieage)

barb

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 9:36AM GMT
We have very precise details of their lives in New England from a number of books. The issue is where did they come from in England? They were well off so there must have been substantial assets somewhere, but to date no one has discovered where. Kent is the preferred option.
Thanks for bothering to reply
Chris Giles
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions