Search for content in message boards

Gretzinger/Hahne

Gretzinger/Hahne

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gretzinger and Hahne
I'm starting to dig into this side of my family but details are a bit hard to come by. I know that William D Gretzinger married Elizabeth Hahne and resided in Belmont County (Bridgeport I believe) in the early 1900s. I believe William was in law enforcement. I've been unable to find much on Elizabeth who died around 1930 and her husband. I've been unable to find obituaries or even death records. There is a member on Ancestry that I've contacted who seems to have information on these people but it is private so I have no idea how in depth it is.
Thanks!

Re: Gretzinger/Hahne

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Gretzinger
William Daniel Gretzinger
Born: Feb 7, 1875 Bridgeport,Ohio
Fied: Feb 23, 1933 Martins Ferry, Belmont Co.Ohio
Spouse: Elizabeth Hahne Gretzinger
Buried: Feb 27, 1933 Wheeling, W.Va
Parents: Charles Gretzinger Born: Germany
Katherine Hertler Born: Germany

Elizabeth Gretzinger
Born: Oct 2,1879 Wheeling,W.Va
Estimated Birthyear 1880
Died: May 12, 1939 Belmont Co.Ohio
Widowed Spouse: William
Burial: May 15, 1939 Wheeling,W.Va
Parents: William D. Hahne Born: Germany
Sophia Dittenhoffer Born: Germany

So William Daniel Gretzinger was a Marshall.

I am not related just trying to help..

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 2:11AM GMT
Thank you J__Seni! I'm still pretty new at this. Where were you able to locate this? Was it online? Many MAJOR thanks.
F

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 12:06PM GMT
Surnames: gretzinger
Your welcome, I found it on family search labs.org

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 4:50AM GMT
Marshall William "Bill" Gretzinger was a Great Uncle. I think he was the brother of Charles who was my Great Grand Father My Grand Father was James Gretzinger son of Charles and my father was then James Jr. To my knowledge my daughter (Jamie) and I (Paul)are the last of that line of the name. I also own the domain gretzinger.com See this link for more:

http://www30.us.archive.org/stream/historygenealogy00shep#pa...

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 5:45AM GMT
Hi Paul, thank you! I'm a bit confused on the Charles'. Do you think William was the brother of the Charles that married Cora or their son? I was thinking he may have been an undocumented son not listed in the book. As far as I know you may be from our side but I can double check with my mother is the granddaughter of Marhall "Bill". My grandmother relayed many stories about the jail and his death.
Thx!

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 6:11AM GMT
Unfortunately my father passed in 2010, but he has a sister that is still alive. I also have a cousin on my mothers side that's father owned a dairy in downtown Bridgeport Ohio. She is 88 and has a bevy of info on both sides of my family. I have now problem in asking and posting or as I told you I own gretzinger.com put paul@ in front and you have direct contact. I was raised in Canton, Ohio and now live in Micco,Fl

I know this much, my dad talked about Marshall Bill and I am pretty sure he called him Uncle. I will check with my aunt and cousin and see what I can come up with. Their is a Bob Gretzinger and his sister that are still alive in Saint Clairsville Belmont County Ohio but I don't think he is on the net but I have his phone, he was my dads and aunts first cousin I think. All of my remaining Gretzinger relatives are in their late 80's. I better get on it.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 4:30PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2012 4:42PM GMT
It just came to me, there is one Gretzinger that moved to the greater Baltimore area. I believe it was my dads and Roberts cousin and brother to Kenneth who passed about 7 or 8 years ago while still living in Bridgeport. I know his health was too bad to plan or attend his brother Kenny's funeral, so Robert made all of the arrangements.
Does any of this make sense, are you from that area?
I am waiting to hear from my aunt and sisters for more clarity.
Just got a email from a cousin who has done research: William D. Gretzinger, Chief of Police (known as Big Bill) in Bridgeport from 1927 - 1933 (He passed away in 1933 on the job). I have a very interesting article. I'll scan it and send it to you.
I can get it to you or post it somewhere if you have never seen it.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 5:10PM GMT
Hi Paul, I would love to see the article you mentioned. I will email you with Bill Gretzinger in the subject line. As I heard it he was attacked by a police dog and had some sort of heart problem leading to his death. I am not from the area at all family wise but I do happen to live within a few hours drive right now.

I am a descendant of Bill's youngest daughter Helen Mae. She married a pilot and they moved around a lot for that time and my folks did the same.

If I recall Bill lost a child or two to drowning as well boys I think. I think Helen left the area in her late teens after her mom died (Elizabeth) a few years after Bill and went to live with an older sister Hazel. My mom always thought she was a bit traumatized by the loss she experienced growing up. Mom remembers stories about a jail in Brilliant Ohio. Any information you have on this end of the family would be very much appreciated. My mom never got to meet her maternal grandparents and I'm sure would love to learn more. I may try to drive her down that way next summer when she comes to visit or maybe Christmas if we haven't had a lot of snow. (She isn't a fan of snow, me either for that matter!)

I am not familiar with any Gretzingers in Baltimore currently.
Thanks a bunch!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic