Search for content in message boards

Civil War letters

Civil War letters

RON PENNINGER (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LINKER, RINEHART, COLEMAN, TUCKER, CARRIKER, HARTSELL

This letter is one of two written soon after the battle at Chancellorsville. It was penned by someone else within the Company or Regiment (company I ,7th North Carolina) . Most of Company I were enlisted from Cabarrus County. The 7th NC was assigned to the Branch/Lane Brigade. The list of killed and wounded will be familiar to many in the County.
I have attempted to type the letter as written and spelled. I did add punctuation to make it
easier to read. On the same sheet of paper Leaonard wrote to Danl Linker who appears to have been his father-in-law.
This letter and seventeen others are in Duke University Rare Books and Manuscripts Collection. Five original letters were given to my wife by her Grandmother Bessie May Cranford. Leaonard was Bessie's grandfather.
I will post each letter that has names in them as each is "translated". Hope they give someone a little more insight into their heritage.
Ron Penninger

Camp Gregg Va

May 9th 63
Dear Wife,

I seat myself this morning to drop you a few lines in anwser to yours
which came to hand yesterday morning. I was glad to hear that you was all
well and doing well. I am well with the exception of bad cold. I haven't any
thing to write only concerning the battle it was a desperate thing. The hotest
place ever this Regt has been into. The Yanks killed and wounded in our Regt
two hundred an fourteen or fifteen. Among the killed is Wm Rinehart, Rusfus
Motley and among wounded is Wm ? Linker, Ap?? Coleman, Asa Linker
Madison Tucker, John Carriker, James Hartsell, that you know. We also lost our
Capt killed. It was a perfect nite our Regt advanced in line of battle within two
hundred yards of the yankey breastworks, where they had twenty eight pieces
of artilery playing on us, an three lines of battle of infantry between us and the
cannon. We were compelled to fall back, old Stuart charged their battery with one
of our batteries and ????? the cavalry round to their rear and soon routed them taken
part of their guns but the most desperate firing ever I heard was there. After lying
in line of battle eight days we could not find a yanky on this side of the river, only
the prisoners and dead. We taken seven thousand prisoners an our line. The 9th day.
we marched to old camp greg we got here late in morning .We were tremendous
tired and it seems very lonesome so many of the boys being absent .We have only twenty one men left in our company. We are very hungry we haven't had anything
to eat since we got back ,only a few crackers we drawed up there on the battlefield.
The reason is, the wagons are all employed hauling off the wounded and the guns
and other plunder, You never saw the like of blankets and napsachs ,in all the days
of your life. I will close lest I weary your patience. Nothing more. Write soon I hope this may find you all well I come through safe.
Your husband Leonard Almon

To Caroline Almon

Linker

Gary Horton (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Linker
Ron,
Thanks for putting your letter on here for everone to share. I really like it brcause Asa Linker is my ggggrandfather. Where did you fine the rest of the letters?. And would it be possible for me to get a copy...
Gary

ALMON

Cleta Terrell (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ALMON
Ron, is Leonard ALMON related to Eveline ALMOND who married
Francis Vanderburg in 1839 in Cabarrus County? Amzi and
William Carson Vanderburg, 2 of Francis' sons were at the
battles of Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg.

Leonard ALLMAN & Cyrus, Preston & Caleb ALLMAN / McClellan

Posted: 2 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:04AM GMT
Surnames: ALLMAN, MCCLELLAN, LINKER
Hi Ron,
I was so pleased to see the Civil War letter you posted! That's the very first letter I've seen written by a NC soldier and I really appreciated your sharing of it with everyone. I have ALLMAN cousins from Cabarrus County out there somewhere I'd love to find one of these days?

Leonard ALLMAN and Caroline LINKER ALLMAN (by the way, I have Caroline's parents as David Linker and Nancy Shore Linker) had a son named Caleb M. ALLMAN who married Texanna Sophrania "Francy" MCCLELLAN. Francy is the sister of my gg grandmother Cornelia "Neely" McCLELLAN who married David Victor "Vic" LINKER. David was the son of Eli LINKER who was killed during the Civil War. Francy and Neely had a sister Rosan Matilda "Rosannah" McCLELLAN who also married an ALLMAN... Cyrus, son of Allan and Isabella (mku) ALLMAN. Amazingly enough, yet another sister, Harriette Tirza "Tersey" McCLELLAN, married Preston ALLMAN who was a brother to Cyrus.

Anyway... what I'm wondering is whether you have any information on the family of Caleb M. and "Francy" (McClellan) ALLMAN? All I know about them is a couple of dates and that they were married. I'm also looking for the families of the other ALLMAN/MCCLELLAN ... i.e. Cyrus and Rosannah ALLMAN, and Preston and "Tersey" ALLMAN.

[Note: I can't place Allan in the ALLMAN families either!??]

THANKS for any help you might have!

Peggy Sue

Civil War letter

Jerry Coleman (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coleman
Ron, I enjoyed reading your letter as well as your postings about the Almon-Coleman connections. I have found more info in the Cabarrus County site than all others I have search. Wm. Coleman was the Brother of Alfred Monroe Coleman, my ggrandfather. Both served in the 7th Reg. B company. Alfred was married to Nellie Dry of Cabarrus Cty and survived the war. He died in 1886. I have not found any death info on William. Their father was William Allison Coleman. All were from Cabarrus county area. Hope to hear from you to discuss Mark Coleman son of Nicholas Kuhlman. I had traced as far as Mark, but have been stuck since 1990 until tonight.

Civil War Letter... David Linker, not Daniel

Posted: 18 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:04AM GMT
I thought I'd mention that Leonard ALMON/ALLMAN was married to Caroline LINKER. Caroline's parents were DAVID Linker and Nancy SHORE LINKER. Apparently the old handwriting can look like "Daniel" when it is really "David" ... this happened to me with my David Victor "DV" LINKER, who married Cornelia "Neely" Stattira McCLELLAN in 1875. We thought he was Daniel for years. Thanks, loved the letter, Peggy Sue

MARK COLEMAN

MARY ALMON PUGH (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ALMON, COLEMAN
WAS YOUR MARK COLEMAN MARRIED TO MARGARET (UNKNOWN) & DID HE HAVE A DAUGHTER NAMED ELIZABETH CAROLINE WHO WAS MARRIED TO NATHANIEL ALMAN ON 10-14-1801? MY RESEARCH GOES AS FAR AS MARK COLEMAN ALSO. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IF OUR MARKS ARE THE SAME, & IF SO IS NICHOLAS KUHLMAN MY MARKS FATHER?

Mark Coleman (Kuhlman)

Jerry Coleman (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coleman
Mary, Yes Mark Coleman's (Kuhlman)wife was name Margaret. Nicholas was Mark's Father. check my homepage on ftm.
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/c/o/l/Jerry-R-Coleman/i...

Great to hear from you. Keep in touch.

Linker, Jackson b. 1/12/1838

Paul Linker (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Cabarrus County - Jackson Linker's parents any ideas who they were?
Thanks

Re: Mark Coleman (Kuhlman)

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 3:36PM GMT
Surnames: Coleman, Corriher
I'd like to ask if you know anything about Jacob Coleman, son of Mark. I believe he may be the father of Sarah Lucinda Coleman, born in 1810. The 1820 and 1830 census of Cabarrus County seem to show that Jacob had a daughter of that age. I find him in the 1850 census of Cabarrus County married to Mary. He is listed as 67 and she is listed as 64. Sarah Lucinda Coleman married George Washington Corriher on 22OCT1833 in Rowan County, NC. If you know anything that can help me, it would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Janice
per page

Find a board about a specific topic