Search for content in message boards

Odd Fellows Cemetery - Philadelphia Area

Odd Fellows Cemetery - Philadelphia Area

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 2:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ADAMS, ASHWOOD, BATCHELLER, CHILES, HICKMAN/HECKMAN
Does anyone know about an Odd Fellows Cemetery in the Philadelphia area that was active about 1862? Susannah Heckman/Hickman died in Philadelphia in 1862 and her death notice said interment was at Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Any information is helpful.

Re: Odd Fellows Cemetery - Philadelphia Area

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 1:30AM GMT
Info on Odd Fellows Cemtery seems to be hard to find. But I did find the following reply from several years ago on this website. You may have to search Philadelphia archives for more info. Hope this info is helpful...

Odd Fellows bought acreage in Mount Peace Cemetery.
This was common practice for Lodges, etc. to have a
cemetery within a cemetery for their members and family.
The deed lists Mount Peace Cemetery as located at Lamb Tavern Road & Nicetown Rd.(21st Ward)Phila. The present address is 3111 W. Lehigh Ave. The office & records were
moved to Lawnview Cemetery

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 11:48PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2004 1:03AM GMT
The cemetery was moved. Unless the family paid to have the family moved they were moved to a common grave.
I wrote to Odd Fellows Cemetery, but that was years ago. Many of the bodies were moved to Lawnview which is located on Huntingdon Pike, east of Fox Chase, Rockledge.
Lawnview is an Odd Fellows Cemetery. Lawnview is in Montgomery County, PA. You can try checking the on-line telephone book. If you don't have any luck, get back to me.
It is possible that the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania or the Historical Society fo Pennsylvania have a copy of the records. I don't think the Family History Center (Mormon Library) has a copy.
Ask for everyone buried in the plot.

Myra Chiles (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2003 7:55PM GMT
Thank you to Roberta, Helen, and everyone who helped me with my Odd Fellows Cemetery question.

I have confirmed that the Cemetery was moved to Lawnview Cemetery in Rocklege, PA. I called them and they said to send a check for $25 and they would give me all the information I wanted. (How many times have I heard that one.)

Well - I'm going to take a ride there myself instead. I will be going there within the next two weeks. If anyone needs information about a relative that was moved from Philadelphia Odd Fellows Cemetery to Lawnview Cemetery, let me know. I'll be very happy to get the information at no charge.

Roberta Daymon (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2003 11:44PM GMT
I have found them to be helpful. Don't expect tombstones if the bodies were moved from the original Odd Fellow Cem.
You may just get the names of the people buried in the lot with the person you have and the dates they died. You will not get their parents names if that is what you are trying to find. Check out the address the person was buried from.
I don't know the exact information you are hoping to find.

Detailed information was not required until after 1900. The only time you get a parent's name is if it is a child. The information I found was helpful. I hope your information is helpful.

Patti Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2003 2:18PM GMT
Myra - if you haven't gone to Lawnview yet could you check to see if BERTHA RATZ (or ROTZ) is there. She died Jan. 1, 1916 and was buried in Odd Fellows and may have been moved. Thank you so much.

Myra Adams Chiles (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2003 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Ashwood, Hickman/Heckman
Patti - I will include your request in my letter to Lawnview Cemetery (this is where the people who were burried in Fellows Cemetery at 23rd & Diamond Street, Philadelphia, PA were moved).

I called Lawnview and it is not open to the public for genealogy research. I will be sending them a request (about August 18) for information about my family and I will include your request at no cost to you. In return they will send me any information they have about everyone buried in the lot.
I will forward the information to you when I receive their answer.

Good Hunting,

Myra

Roberta Daymon (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2003 1:42AM GMT
I believe I have all of the information I need from Lawnview.
I had contacted them a number of years ago.
Thank you for the offer. I wish you success with your search. Roberta

Patti (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2003 11:27AM GMT
Myra - Thank you very much. Hopefully, we'll both have some luck.

Patti (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2003 3:45PM GMT
Surnames: RATZ
Myra, I guess you haven't heard anything back from Lawnview yet?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic