Search for content in message boards

Culbertson's Row

Culbertson's Row

Tina (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Culbertson
I have information referring to the CULBERTSON family that mentions Culbertson's Row in both Franklin County, PA as well as Ireland. Sometimes I see the Culbertson's Row mentioned with County Antrim in Ireland.

Could anyone tell me if Culbertson's Row exists in Franklin county and if so, is it a town, a street address???

Thanks,
Tina

Culbertson's Row

Carolyn K. Shearer (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
From "Biographical Annals of Franklin County" Seilhammer, 1905, pp128ff. Joseph Culbertson was born in "Culbertson's Row" Ballygan, County Antrim, Ireland, died 1784 in "Culbertson's Row" Franklin County, Dec 1784. He immigrated with brothers Samuel and Alexander (long article)
The 1900 list of post offices shows a Culbertson in Greene Twp, Franklin County, estimated population was 80. I have written about these Culbertson's before on this site. A search for the surname should turn up more information.

Culbertson

Carolyn K. Shearer (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
There were two Culbertson's Rows - one in Ireland and one in Franklin County. The settlement once called "Culbertson's Row" in Franklin County, is now just plain Culbertson in Greene Twp. My husband and I talked about this last evening - it is now the name of small settlement just east of the Letterkenney Depot main gate at the along Route 997 where it intersects with Route 433. There is a tiny railroad depot on 433 just south of 997 called Culbertson's Station.

Note: I do not have a Culbertson line, but had collected information on them due to their intermarriage with the Porters.

Culbertson lineage

Tina (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Culbertson, Babb, Godfrey
Carolyn, Thank you for responding to my inquiry about Culbertson's Row. If I understand you correctly you are saying there is not a town or village called Culbertson's Row in Franklin county. That was the name of the place they emigrated from in County Antrim, Ireland.
Here is a listing of the lineage that may link with yours.
Let me know!
1. ANDREW "IRISH" CULBERTSON was born Abt. 1694 in Londonderry, Ireland, and died 1746 in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania. He married JANET BRECKENRIDGE. She was born 1696 in Pennsylvania, and died Abt. 1720 in Pennsylvania.

Child of ANDREW CULBERTSON and JANET BRECKENRIDGE is:
ANDREW CULBERTSON Jr., b. 1726, Culbertson's Row, Pennsylvania; d. Virginia.

Generation No. 2

2. ANDREW CULBERTSON Jr.was born 1726 in Culbertson's Row, Pennsylvania, and died in Virginia. He married ESTHER CULBERTSON Abt. 1743 in Pennsylvania. She was born 1726 in Culbertson's Row, Pennsylvania.

Child of ANDREW CULBERTSON and ESTHER CULBERTSON is:
ROBERT CULBERTSON, b. 1749, Culbertson's Row, Pennsylvania; d. 1840, Laurens county, South Carolina.

Generation No. 3

3. ROBERT CULBERTSON was born 1749 in Culbertson's Row, Pennsylvania, and died 1840 in Laurens county, South Carolina. He married (1) ELIZABETH PORTER. He married (2) DOLLY PLEASANT.

ROBERT CULBERTSON: Burial in 1840, Elledge Graveyard, Laurens Co., SC

Children of ROBERT CULBERTSON and ELIZABETH PORTER are:
JAMES CULBERTSON, b. 1770, Laurens county, South Carolina &
WILLIAM PORTER CULBERTSON.

Child of ROBERT CULBERTSON and DOLLY PLEASANT is:
ALEXANDER CULBERTSON, b. 1792, Laurens county, South Carolina; d. Abt. 1875, Shelby county, Alabama.

Generation No. 4

JAMES CULBERTSON was born 1770 in Laurens county, South Carolina. He married NANCY BABB 1791 in Laurens county, South Carolina. She was born 1770 in Laurens county, South Carolina, and died in Laurens county, South Carolina.

Children of JAMES CULBERTSON and NANCY BABB are:
YOUNG JAMES CULBERTSON, b. February 11, 1797, Laurens county, South Carolina; d. August 11, 1877, Laurens county, South Carolina &
ALEXANDER CULBERTSON.

ALEXANDER CULBERTSON was born 1792 in Laurens county, South Carolina, and died Abt. 1875 in Shelby county, Alabama. He married ELIZABETH JOHNSON Abt. 1819.

Child of ALEXANDER CULBERTSON and ELIZABETH JOHNSON is:
GEORGE WASHINGTON CULBERTSON, b. January 28, 1828, Laurens county, South Carolina; d. December 15, 1905, Laurens county, South Carolina.

Generation No. 5

YOUNG JAMES CULBERTSON was born February 11, 1797 in Laurens county, South Carolina, and died August 11, 1877 in Laurens county, South Carolina. He married SARAH "SALLIE" RODGERS March 27, 1821.

YOUNG JAMES CULBERTSON was buried 1877, Union Baptist Cemetery (Old Quaker)

Child of YOUNG CULBERTSON and SARAH RODGERS is:
NANCY FRANCES CULBERTSON, b. December 25, 1831, Laurens county, South Carolina; d. July 08, 1865.

GEORGE WASHINGTON CULBERTSON was born January 28, 1828 in Laurens county, South Carolina, and died December 15, 1905 in Laurens county, South Carolina. He married PAMELA ANN GODFREY Abt. 1848 in Laurens county, South Carolina. She was born Abt. 1828 in South Carolina.

GEORGE WASHINGTON CULBERTSON was buried in Old Quaker Cemetery, Ecom, Laurens Co., SC

Children of GEORGE CULBERTSON and PAMELA GODFREY are:
B.Y. CULBERTSON.
WILLIAM P. CULBERTSON, b. February 1857, Laurens co., South Carolina.
LULA CULBERTSON, b. Abt. 1862.
WASHINGTON W. CULBERTSON, b. Abt. 1864.
ANDREW B CULBERTSON, b. Abt. 1868.
(There are more children but I don't know their names)

Generation No. 6

NANCY FRANCES CULBERTSON was born December 25, 1831 in Laurens county, South Carolina, and died July 08, 1865. She married YOUNG JEHU CULBERTSON January 15, 1857, son of JOHN CULBERTSON and LURANAH PITTS. He was born May 23, 1829 in Laurens county, South Carolina, and died January 21, 1910 in Laurens county, South Carolina.

Children of NANCY CULBERTSON and YOUNG CULBERTSON are:
MARGARET ELLEN CULBERTSON, b. September 16, 1857, South Carolina; d. 1945.
JANE CULBERTSON, b. July 23, 1859.
AMANDA EVELEILA CULBERTSON, b. August 31, 1861.

WILLIAM P.CULBERTSON was born February 1857 in Laurens co., South Carolina. He married MARGARET ELLEN CULBERTSON 1881, daughter of YOUNG CULBERTSON and NANCY CULBERTSON. She was born September 16, 1857 in South Carolina, and died 1945.

Children of WILLIAM CULBERTSON and MARGARET CULBERTSON are:
EUGENIA BLANCH8 CULBERTSON, b. April 1882.
LILLEY CULBERTSON, b. March 1887.
HENRY GRADY CULBERTSON, b. July 14, 1890; d. 1962.

Generation No. 7

HENRY GRADY CULBERTSON was born July 14, 1890, and died 1962. He married ANNIE HESTER RICHEY Abt. 1918, daughter of LUTHER RICHEY and ANNA CURETON. She was born March 27, 1893 in Greenville, South Carolina, and died 1969 in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

HENRY CULBERTSON and ANNIE RICHEY are my husband's grandparents.

Hope this isn't too long or unclear!
Thanks, Carolyn.

Tina

Re: Culbertson's Row

Posted: 27 Jun 2005 2:22PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2006 10:18PM GMT
I see you mention the name Seilhammer. May I ask who the man is??? My 7th Gr. Gr. middle name was Seilhammer and I can not find anymore info. So if you can please enlighten me? Kathy tigger1957@hotmail.com

Posted: 15 Jun 2009 3:43AM GMT
Hi,
Your message was a long time ago, but I believe you said that Henry G Culbertson Sr and Hester Richey Culbertson were grandparents to your husband. My name is Henry G Culbertson III. My dad is the eldest son of Grady Sr and Hester. So your husband must be my cousin.

Also, I wnet to Chambersburg, PA a few years back looking for "Culbertson Row." It's there to the west of Chambersburg, but is now just a road name. There is a "Culbertson Menonite School" and church. I have pictures somewhere. I actually stopped and knocked on a few doors along Culbertson Row, but apparently there are no Culbertsons left on the row, nor does anyone there now know where the name came from. There is a lady historian in Chambersburg who knows a great deal about the Culbertson family in Chambersburg dating back to the French & Indian War. I believe her name is Hull.
Best,
Grady Culbertson, Darlington, SC 843.395.0792

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: Culbertson, Hammond, Magee
There is a Culbertson on some maps of Path Valley, just west of Doylestown. I plan on getting over there soon to investigate, talk to some residents; Path Valley diner on 641 & 75 looks like a good place to start! On one of our drives over there we came across a Culbertson Row somewhere near the Pleasant Hall-Upper Strasburg area, but I now can't remember exactly which road it was, 533 (Orrstown Road), 997 (Cumberland Highway) or another.

I do remember hearing my grandma (Hammond/Magee, grew up in Letterkenny Twp) say something like 'from over in Culbertson" & nod her head to the north/west, she was living on Letterkenny Rd at the time. If my uncle Gerald was still with us I could ask him. He remembered all the family stuff clearly.

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Culbertson
ok just did a quick search & several sources agree that Culbertson Row is north of Chambersburg. There IS a village called Culbertson Row in that area (the one I saw), but it is not the original. The Row was moved by the railroad company when they laid the tracks. Rocky Spring (just up the road from where my grandma lived) & Middle Spring churches are where they attended. I do remember seeing Culbertson's in the Rocky Spring cemetary. Because of the Letterkenny Army Depot, things can be a bit difficult to find these days but you can contact the Kittochtinny Historical Society, 175 E. King St., Chambersburg, PA 17201. 1-717-264-1667 for information.

Posted: 3 Jul 2009 7:07AM GMT
Surnames: Culbertson, Breckinridge
LIGHT BULB moment!!! I can't believe it took me this long! I grew up in Chambersburg & traversed the surrounding areas often. Back then I wasn't into looking into the family history, I lived near most of them and didn't pay much attention when the old folks were talking. Rowe Run Rd. It just now hit me! an 'e' was added, I don't know when, but THAT'S Culbertson's Row. There's a creek running along the road called Row Run as I knew it or Row Creek on older maps, named for Culbertson's Row, for short 'the Row'. Rowe Run Rd is also route 433 traveling between 997 - Cumberland Highway - & 533 - Orrstown Rd - where it enters the main intersection in Orrstown. You would take Route 11 north out of Chambersburg to Greenvillage, turn left onto 997, the very next right should be Rowe Run Rd/433 to Orrstown. There are still several houses & farms there. I have an 1868 Atlas of land owners of Franklin county & the same road that's there now is the same road that was there then. It crosses over & then right alongside the creek when the road makes a big curve. Do a Google map search for Orrstown, PA then follow & you'll see it. The Cumberland Highway (997) used to run through the farmlands that the Letterkenny Depot has now ruined, sorry, but it's course was only changed slightly to curve northward instead of northwest.
There were Breckinridges living just to the north of the main Culbertson enclave as they had married into the family both here & in Ireland & stayed close to the Culbertson's.
I hope that this resolves the search for all of you!

Posted: 5 Aug 2009 6:14PM GMT
Does anybody have or know where I can find information on one of the brothers (Samuel). I believe that I may be a descendant.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic