Search for content in message boards

Facial Recognition. Possibilty for the future?

Facial Recognition. Possibilty for the future?

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 7:10AM GMT
I noticed when I uploaded a lot of photos to a social media site that they were able to create an option for tagging the same person in multiple photos. I assume this is some type of facial recognition software. It creeps me out a little that they can do this for living people, however, I was wondering if this could be something down the road for our vintage photos? I would never have thought it possible or feasible until I saw this other site already has this. It missed picking up a few of the people but it was remarkably accurate for most. Anyone looking at doing this for ancestry?

Re: Facial Recognition. Possibilty for the future?

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 7:41PM GMT
Google's Picasa has been doing this for some time now.

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 8:07PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 3:20AM GMT
Most of my photos are labeled but it might help people to be able to make a match with my family. I know there are other photos of my family members out there, since some years ago I gave away many to other family members. I can still describe some of the photos but that doesn't do much.

My family also donated some originals to various museums. There is supposed to be one that hangs in a major museum of my relative with Joaquin Miller, the poet. I would like to be able to view that. I doubt they still know who the other person in the photo was.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 1:30AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 1:31AM GMT
I think there's a good chance some service will integrate this in the future, and it would be amazing.

I already use Google Image Search for this. I search by image, using the photo button to upload one of my family's unidentified 1800s cabinet cards. If that photo appears anywhere else on the Web that Google has searched, it will show me. I haven't had any luck yet, but maybe as more and more people scan and upload their photos, someday there will be a match.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 5:50AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 5:51AM GMT
Well, call me a cynic, but - if you think it's bad now, when people misappropriate unrelated folks because of a similar name, can you imagine the chaos that could ensue when some computer system decides two fuzzy (or decades apart) photos of unrelated people are actually the same person?

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 5:53AM GMT
It doesn't work like that... at least Google Image Search doesn't. If it can't find an exact match, it will tell you. And it shows you both photos so you can see if they're the same photo.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 6:04AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 6:07AM GMT
This is why I think it is important to know where an item came from. If it turned out to be a family member descended from the person I gave the photo to then I would feel much more confident about it then if it was found in an antique store. And it would depend on what the photo itself had. Was it labeled? Was there a discernible item on it? Was it from the same photographer as other photos that are identified. I like to know the story behind an item. As a frequent poster here likes to say the human being is the one with a brain. However, we use computers for searching every day. There is a difference between locating an item and evaluating it. Of course, you are right that many people won't bother with that part. But they already simply copying without evaluating. It's just a tool. It depends on who uses it.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 6:09AM GMT
I agree with this. Photo matching is a chance to compare sources and add new information to the picture. A few times by comparing photos with cousins, I've found that each family has a copy of the same old photo, with a different inscription on the back — sometimes half the clue is on one person's photo (e.g., "your loving brother"), and half on the other ("Uncle Joe"). By bringing those matching photos back together, the identity of the photo is finally understood.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 4:17PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 4:21PM GMT
I agree that matching two identical photos would be helpful, but did not think that's what was being suggested here. I would think that (except if someone has a photo they can't identify at all, and posts it) this already happens because the photo will be posted to the same family on two (or more) trees, and eventually seen - although the first person to post it may not realize that theirs was not the only copy in existence, leading to some of the complaints we see on these boards about misappropriated photos.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions