Search for content in message boards

Media Gallery - view unattached photos

Media Gallery - view unattached photos

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'd like a way that I can view all media items not attached to an individual in my tree. I have a bunch of photos from the early 1900s of people who I think were friends of my ancestors. I'd like to upload them to my gallery but not without the ability to easily locate them again without having to scroll through pages and pages of 100s of media items.

Re: Media Gallery - view unattached photos

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2012 6:41PM GMT
I don't know of a way to do that in the media gallery (not saying there is no way, just don't know how one would do that), but you could create a fictional profile (e.g., "Unknown Person" or even "Photos" or "Unidentified Photos") and attach all those photos to that one profile (then, if you identify and have an actual person to whom they should attach, you can move later). That way, you at least would know where to find them all.

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 6:43PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2012 7:06PM GMT
Good thought, I might do that for now.

ETA: It doesn't seem to be working well. There was no option in the online tree to add an unrelated person to my tree so I tried in FTM. There is an option for it but when I synced my trees so the new "person" labelled Unidentified Photos would also be added to my online tree, it doesn't work. It says the trees are synced yet it hasn't uploaded this new "person".

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 7:33PM GMT
Here is a way to add a unconnected person to a AMT.

Pick a person (i.e. yourself). Add a Relative as a brother/sister. Then open the profile of this new person, click on "edit this person" Then on the Relationship Tab I removed Both Parents. You can also rename the person at this point and it will be a Isolated Person, unconnected to any other in your tree, but still appear in the People List.

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 8:16PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2012 8:20PM GMT
After doing this one time I made a person I call "add" and then I use that same "add" person to add others. I also use this to perform searches when I want to mix up the variables. Sometimes it works better than global search either new or old. I have made add "living" so that it doesn't get copied and this also can add a layer of privacy for something until I get things processed and in case I forget to delete the items I am testing in a search. By the way, the privacy is not entirely private if this is in a public tree. I label my photos Photos Smith or Photos Jones. Then I add a link to the people who either owned the photo or someone that may be viewed by the right people. So if I am trying to identify a Smith, I have a link from a known Smith to the Photo Smith. Maybe someone will follow the trail and find this. They may be inappropriately copied however, but that happens even with fully labeled photos.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic