Search for content in message boards

Look up, Joel Blackwell Revolutionary War Soldier

Look up, Joel Blackwell Revolutionary War Soldier

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jul 2003 12:42AM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell
Hello, I am looking for information on Joel Blackwell born about 1740 in Virginia. He died in 1821. Joel may have enlisted in Rutherford County, North Carolina. Joel was married to Henrietta Byars, Rebeccah Watkins and Sarah Ann Doggett Byars. Joel had a brother named Daniel, born 1730 and died in 1783. It is belived that Daniel was also a soldier in the Rev. War. Another brother Isaiah, born 1733 and died 1810, may have been a soldier as well. Any information on any of these soldiers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Re: Look up, Joel Blackwell Revolutionary War Soldier

Posted: 18 Sep 2002 2:04PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2003 6:09AM GMT
Dear Sheila,
I have checked our Patriot Index for all Blackwell men. There were 29 with the following names: Benjamin, Elihah, Francis, Jacob, 6 John's, 4 Joseph's, Joshua, Micah, 3 Robert's, 2 Samuel's, Stephen and Thomas. No Joel, Daniel or Isaiah. This may not mean they didn't serve, just that no one has entered DAR on those men. With as much information as you gave, you are well on your way to establishing Joel. Only the descendants of Daniel and Isaiah would be eligible for DAR membeship through those men since we are direct lineal descent organization.

If you are interested in membership in DAR and have not had contact with a local chapter in your area, let us know and we can get you in touch with someone.

Good Luck.
Mary D

This free look up service provided by volunteer members of the DAR.

Posted: 10 Nov 2002 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell
Hello,
I too am interested in these brothers. Particulary, I would like to learn the names of their parents. Thank you in advance for sharing.
Mitzi Blackwell Jones
mitzidbjones@hotmail.com

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 7:45PM GMT
DAR will not accept the statement of Sylvester Blackwell that his grandfather, Joel Blackwell, fought in the Battle of Cowpens. DAR wants the militia unit in which he served. This, of course, is an impossible task since most NC counties do not have surviving lists of militia units which served at the Battle of Cowpens.

I think there are some papers that Daniel's descendants have which got them land for his service. He died before the 1832 pension law was passed. This is not my line and I have not really worked on Daniel.

Isaiah was a Tory and there is documentation. He also lost his property in Rutherford Co. NC because of this.

Write me directly if you are interested.
genpics1968@att.net

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 3:23AM GMT
Thank you for your post. I have been unbale to work the family history for a couple of yrs now. Am exctied that you posted! Any info on the family is always apprecitated.
VShelia@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions