Search for content in message boards

Gay family Westmeath, Ireland

Gay family Westmeath, Ireland

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gay, Flood, Ennis, Keefe
Hi,
I am trying to make contact with anyone researching my family. Originating around the Mullingar area of Westmeath, Ireland.

Re: Gay family Westmeath, Ireland

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 3:55AM GMT
Hi,
I am also researching the Gay family from Mullingar for my husband's side of the family. His g-grandfather was a Peter Gay Wheeler who was born in Mullingar c.1837 and his mother was Catherine Gay. We have no details of his father. Peter came to Queensland, Australia with his wife Eliza Cole (nee Connell) and his daughter Catherine b 1866 who is from a previous marriage to an Elizabeth Halpin. Here's hoping that you may be somehow related.

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 6:07AM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Flood, Ennis, Keefe
Hi,
I would say there is almost certainly a link somewhere because Gay is not a common name and fairly localised in Ireland to the west of Westmeath and later I think to Dublin (going by the 1911 census). Unfortunately I can't confirm this one - at least yet.

My own lineage is:
James Joseph Gay 1923, Mullingar
son of William Gay 1897 and Mary Flood 1900

William Gay 1897
son of John Gay 1851/3 and Anne (Mc)Cormack 1861/66

John Gay 1851/3
son of John Gay and Hannah Whelehan (Anna Whelan).

Unfortunately I can't confirm the parents of my g-g-grandfather John Gay which seems to be about the dates that I'd need to co-ordinate with your records for Peter Gay Wheeler.

I am working on the Griffiths Valuation records at the moment and trying to work forwards as well but this is not fast going!

I will certainly let you know if I come across anything.

Regards
Kevin

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 1:49AM GMT
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your quick reply. It is exciting to know that the surname is actually a surname as I was beginning to believe it may have been a middle name. The details on the Queensland death certificates that I have are very brief so little detail is given. I am going to Ireland in a couple of weeks and hope to scout around for some information. I have a daughter over there at the moment and she has been travelling around asking questions and visiting graveyards in the Westmeath area to no avail. My email in Australia is: unicorn@cqnet.com.au if you want to contact me. Good luck with your research and hope to hear from you soon.
Jill

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Gay
Kevin,

Have you ever tested your DNA? My family is from Ireland and I would be curious if we had a match...

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 11:05PM GMT
Hi there,
thought about it but then decided at that moment, no... balance of probability: by the the relative lack of information on the internet and numbers researching the Irish Gay name meant that few would be doing the tests as well...still will probably do it one day, you don't know until you try and it's no good if nobody does it!

There's a good chance of relation but unfortunately found plenty of Irish aunts and uncles going to the US but none of them from the Gay side.. yet.

The Irish Times has a good surname tool showing the county spread and Westmeath is the main single county so using probability there's a good chance of a relation but Westmeath is outnumbered by the sum of the others though. I have some interesting leads in Dublin early 20th century for 'family' from Westmeath too. http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseact...

I've thought about starting a blog about the family and then backed out of it but there's some information about the possible name derivation. an alternative to the "accepted standard" English/Norman/French version if you want to check it out..
http://cageyworld.co.uk/blog/ .. one day I might get back to setting it up properly and hopefully getting some more information on it.

Best regards

Kevin

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Feeney, Morris
I have an Irish great-grandfather, Thomas Gay, about whom There are few data: dob, dom, ch dob., county etc. He settled on dob as 1828 later in life. He married Ellen Feeney sometime in the mid-1850s, place unknown. Her mother was Alice (Morris). Thos & Ellen had four children in Ireland - between 1857 and 1863 - and then six children in Ashland, MA - between 1866 and 1878. They did not seem to follow the 'Irish naming pattern' as the eldest was Mary, rather than Alice. The eldest son was Martin, which might have been the name of Thomas' father, but the second son was Michael. All the known ancestral names were used, though [Thomas, Ellen & Alice]. If you come across the convergence of the three surnames, I'll be happy to learn of it.

Jack

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: Gay
Hi Jack, sorry to say that I haven't come across these names yet. I've kept a number records of marriages from parish registers back to early 19th Century (a couple before that) but haven't got through them all yet. Some are marriages and some are inferred from the baptism records which record the parents. I'll keep an eye out for Feeney.

Regards

Kevin

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 12:39PM GMT
Surnames: Gay Wheeler
Hi Jill,
I've just sent you some information by email. You may already have it but if not then I hope it is of some use.

Regards

Kevn

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 6:52AM GMT
Hi Kevin,
I waited a couple of days but nothing has arrived in my in-box from you. Would you mind sending the email again.
Thanks
Jill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic