Search for content in message boards

Facial Recognition Software

Facial Recognition Software

Posted: 20 Sep 2011 9:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm processing several thousand family photos (someone else's family) and I'm having a hard time matching faces. Does anyone know of a software package that attempts to match up faces in different photos?
Thanks,
Dave

Re: Facial Recognition Software

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 4:47PM GMT
The software is available but...it is *very* expensive, not something within the price range of the average individual or even small organization.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 5:44PM GMT
Windows Live Photo Gallery in Win7 has some face recognition capacity.

Regards,

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 5:56PM GMT
Yes, I've used Windows Live Photo Gallery, but even for what it does do I find it very inadequate. First, you can only create one photoalbum. God forbid you have more than one family. Then, you can ID faces in your album and WLPG catalogs them for you. For the life of me, I could never figure out how to backup the information in the albums. I had cataloged about 1000 faces, when one day, WLPG crashed and reported that some of my information may have been lost. More than 90% of the data was gone.

Posted: 8 Oct 2011 2:55AM GMT
What about Picasa 3. Free from Google and great software

Posted: 8 Oct 2011 10:42PM GMT
Hmmm, Thanks for the recommendation. Picasa was looking promising, but then I tried creating a new album. It would appear that picasa uses only one list of names (is that true?). So, unless I can figure out how to have separate name spaces for each album then having separate albums doesn't help any. The face recognition works fairly well. I was very pleased with that.

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 6:44AM GMT
Hi Dave, yes I think you are correct. Only 1 name list is used. But I will try and find out from Picasa if that is correct and if there is a way around it.
Rob

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 4:53PM GMT
With Picasa, do the photos remain private on my computer or does this put them into the public arena?

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 11:51PM GMT
Hi,
No, your photos remain private in Picassa unless you upload them to the Internet. And then only if you make them public.
ie. picassa's online site gives 3 options for privacy.
Regards
Rob

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 12:53AM GMT
Thanks for the prompt reply. Will do some experimenting with identified and unidentified family photos.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions