Search for content in message boards

WILLIAM SMITH IN IREDELL CO NC

WILLIAM SMITH IN IREDELL CO NC

Posted: 5 Mar 2004 3:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2006 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH / MARLOW
Trying to find parents and siblings of WILLIAM SMITH born about 1805 married MARY MARLOW, dau of Elijah Washington Marlow, probably by 1826 in Iredell Co . They lived in Iredell Co per census 1830 -1870. Believe he died around 1880 or after. Children are; Emily md. Hardy Verner; Martha; William; Thomas; Asbury md Mary Ellen Beck; (my G-Grandparents); Mary md. Thomas J Beck; Samuel md. Mary E Dyson; & Amanda md. David L Dyson.
Many of the children lived in Davie Co and most are buried there. I have some info on Mary Marlow's family and descendants but can find no clue to ancestry of William. First or middle initial may be an A.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: WILLIAM SMITH IN IREDELL CO NC

Posted: 6 Mar 2004 3:25AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Tharpe, Gee, Baggarly, Green
Hello cousin! It appears that William's son, William J. (brother of Asbury), is my g,great grandfather. William J. Smith (1835-1916) married Nancy Louisa Smith, daughter of Oliver Smith. William J. Smith had a son named William Columbus 'Lum' Smith (1869-1921). Lum Smith married Sallie Louella Tharpe.

William Smith and Oliver Smith were enumerated near each other in the 1850 census. Like you, I do not know their ancestors. But I know generally where they lived. They lived in Iredell County near the Davie County line. The community, I believe, is called Sheffield.

William J. Smith and son William C. 'Lum' Smith are buried at New Union United Methodist Church in Iredell County. There is a monument in the cemetery that states that Oliver Smith is buried 1.5 miles away in the family cemetery.

I have not been to the Smith family cemetery, but I have a general idea of where it is. I plan to visit later this spring. I was hoping gravemarkers may give me a clue to the Smith ancestry.

Oliver Smith (born ca. 1802 - died 1856) was married to Mary Gee. Per the death certificate of her daughter Nancy Louisa Smith, Mary Gee Smith was born in Virginia. I know nothing more about the Gee line.

I have a copy of William J. Smith's will.

I have some other info. I have researched the Iredell/Davie Smiths for over ten years. I have not been able to go back too far with this line.

I have recently written the Genealogical Society of Iredell County for assistance with the Smith line.

Where in Davie are your Smith's buried? I imagine near the Iredell line. Name of church?

Chris Brady - bradycj97@aol.com

Posted: 6 Mar 2004 4:21AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2006 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH/MARLOW
Good to meet a Smith cousin. My Smith's are buried in Sheffield and I have been to New Union and Zion Chapel many times. I, too, have been researching our family for many years and have come to the same conclusions that you have about the close proximity of Oliver and Henry Smith and others I am currently looking into. I have most of the census records now and still working on them. Their ages are also very close and they could possibly have been brothers. My Asbury lived in Calahan community for some time although it appears he may have moved around from Iredell to Davie. My Grandfather was David William Smith 1885-1972. He lived most of his married life in Rowan Co., just across the Rowan/Davie county line. I would love to compare notes.
Libby in Rowan Co

Posted: 26 Sep 2005 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Hi Chris. Sorry we lost touch. Have you made any further discoveries on our mutual Smith family? Did you locate the Smith graveyard?

Posted: 26 Sep 2005 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Tharpe, Greene
Hi Libby,

I DID NOT find the Smith graveyard. I corresponded with an Iredell County man that was supposed to give me better directions, but he did not. I think I was in the right location. The graveyard may have been just off the road in the woods, but I did not see it. If anyone knows where the Oliver Smith graveyard is near the Iredell/Davie county line, I love to go visit it, mark it with GPS, and photograph it.

I have not done much Smith research lately.

Chris Brady
bradycj97@aol.com

Posted: 30 Dec 2008 9:58PM GMT
HI, MY NAME IS TONI (FORTNER) DONEY. I SEE IN YOUR MESSAGE THAT YOU ARE RELATED TO SALLIE LOUELLA THARPE. I HAVE A SALLIE LOUELLA THARPE IN MY FAMILY LINE TOO. I THINK SHE MAY HAVE BEEN MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER WITH HER DAUGHTER BEING MY GRANDMOTHER. MY GRANDMOTHER'S NAME IS ADDIE ELIZABETH THARPE. DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE THARPE'S AT ALL? THEIR NAME MAY HAVE CHANGED TO THORPE SOMEHOW THROUGH CENSUS RECORDS. WHEN IT COMES TO FINDING OUT INFO ON MY GRANDMA AND GRANDPA, I RUN INTO A BRICK WALL.
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN SHARE WITH ME, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME AT TDONEY2000@YAHOO.COM.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic