Search for content in message boards

Hanie or Haynie?

Hanie or Haynie?

Ann Hanie (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2004 6:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HANIE, MARTIN
It is seeming more and more that my families name of HANIE may have originally been HAYNIE?
My 2 great grandfather wrote & used HANIE as did most desdandants.
Benjamin Franklin HANIE stated in a sworn statement (1881) that he was born in Pendleton District, South Carolina, March 3, 1821, removed to Georgia when a boy and been in Georgia ever since. His parentage is unknown, census gives their birthplace as South Carolina. After many years of looking, I am still at a brick-wall, even checking out Haynie families. Can anyone HELP?

Re: Hanie or Haynie?

Mark Bowen (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2004 11:47AM GMT
Surnames: Haynie Bowen Witcher Copeland
I have wondered the same thing about the ultimate origins of the Haney/Hanie/Haynie name. My great grandfather was Milton Henderson Haynie Jr. and his Father was Milton H Haynie Sr. It looks likely that Milton Sr's father was Deskin Haynie. Milton Jr and Sr lived in Cave Spring, Ga and were in the 1st Ga Cavalry in the Civil War. As I have explored around the Cave Spring and Cedartown area I have found that there are both Haynie and Haney families. There is actually a small community on the Ga/Al border a little to the west that is named Haney. One of Milton H Haynie jr's daughters married a Haney back in the early 1900's. I know that the Haynie clan has a distinctive coat-of-arms. It is just a wild guess on my part based on what has often happened in the past with other branch names in my family, but I suspect Haynie is the original spelling and perhaps a family disagreement resulted in someone slightly changing the spelling while making a break with the original family. I've noticed this happened a lot and it wreaks havoc with our research today.

Posted: 5 Sep 2004 8:08AM GMT
Surnames: Baskin, Bobo. Calhoun, Cook, Crawley,Hanks, Haynie, Highsmith, Lenoir, McDonald, Mulkey, Rickles, Shepherd, Spencer, Stuart, Stewart, Taylor, Tophouse, Westmoreland,
I believe HAYNIE is the original spelling and is used by most of the descendants of Capt. Richard Haynie and wife Elizabeth Bridgar and second wife Elinor Ormsby.

I have considerable info on many of these folks, gathered here and there by other kin as well as many books and public records.

My great-grandparents were John Cunningham Haynie and Sarah Elizabeth Cook from South Carolina.

Belle Haynie Shepherd
belleshep@cox.net

Mark Bowen (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2004 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Haynie Bowen Copeland Witcher Nelson
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you might have something in your Haynie information that could clear up a mystery and help me get further back with my Haynie line. First let me give my Haynie connection. My paternal grandmother was Maude Belle Haynie. Her father was Milton Henderson Haynie jr and her mother was Nancy Ann Copeland. Milton Jr's father was Milton Henderson Haynie Sr and his mother was Matilda Nelson. They were all from Cave Spring Georgia which is near the GA-Ala border. Milton H Haynie Sr was born about 1808 in Georgia. In 1848 he built the old mill that still stands south of Cedartown for Asa Prior of that area. In the Civil War he was Captain of Co C HIghland Rangers of the 1st Ga Cavalry. His Son, Milton Jr was born in 1840. At his father's request he left Arkansas to come serve under his father's command in the CW. Until recently this was as far as I had info on my Haynie line. I recently found an entry in the world tree that said the parents of Milton Henderson Haynie Sr were Deskin Haynie and Tabitha Witcher. There were no references given but I lean towards thinking it is correct. The reason is the Witcher connection. The Witcher's were a big west Georgia family. Asa Prior, who contracted with Milton Haynie Sr to build the mill, had a wife named Nancy Witcher who was closely related to the Tabitha Witcher that would have married this Deskin Hayne. I could see how the Witcher family connection could have helped Milton be picked by Asa to build the Cedartown mill. The mill still stands today.

Do you have anything else that amplifies on my Haynie's? I would love to confirm that Milton H Haynie's parents were Deskin and Tabitha Witcher. Beyond that I would love to know the ancestors of Deskin Haynie.

Thanks again,
Mark

Posted: 6 Oct 2004 12:47AM GMT
Surnames: Haynie
Bingo Mark.....
There were evidently a lot of disputes...Yes there is a family coat of arms on the internet. Most of my stuff is in storage and my son is trying to find it but...as soon as I do I will send it to you. Also my branch of Haynies were evidently disowned completely, wish I knew what happened. Except for my Grandpa Dr. Walter Dixon Haynie and his wife and brothers and sisters, nobody else existed.
There is also a book with this information at the Library of congress. I have copies of most of that book but need to fill in some blanks...maybe I will get a chance. If you would like the info to see what you can get yourself let me know
paranoid1154@yahoo.com

onRe: Hanie or Haynie?

Posted: 18 Aug 2005 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Hanie, Martin, Crankshaw, Blackstock
Benjamin Hanie was my great grandfather 5 generations back. He spelled his name on several papers that I have as Hanie. His son John changed his name to Haney and used it for his family. Sure makes it hard when you are doing genealogy. How are you related to Benjamin?

Posted: 29 May 2008 1:30AM GMT
John cunningham Haynie is buried at a cemetery about 1/4 mile from my home. Do you have all that? If you need more info let me know. Do you have anything on his civil war record? If Yes, would you send it to me?
Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic