Search for content in message boards

assigning RIN numbers

assigning RIN numbers

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 3:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I need a genealogy software program that will let me assign my own RIN numbers. Is there any genealogy program that will allow that? Preferably a collaborative program, but I'll take any program where I can assign the RIN# myself. Want to use it for tracking DNA kit numbers and have to be able to sort by that number.

Re: assigning RIN numbers

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 10:15PM GMT
I'm not sure that you really want to use for this is a RIN number. Very often the RIN is used internally within the software as a database key for record relationships so the RIN is usually controlled by the system and is unique only to the system/database. The RIN can sometimes become the XREF ID in the GEDCOM. It would not be a good idea to mess with this.

Where are you doing the sorting? 1) Within your genealogy software. 2) in an extracted spreadsheet. 3) other program.

I assume you want to enter the value yourself when you add the new individual.

The GEDCOM definition provides for an "REFN" tag know as a USER_REFERENCE_NUMBER and defined as: "A user-defined number or text that the submitter uses to identify this record. For instance, it may be a record number within the submitter's automated or manual system, or it may be a page and position 64 number on a pedigree chart."

Setting up software to allow for the entry of a tag that is part of the GEDCOM standard should not be a problem for most "good" programs. I can do it with mine.

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 12:38AM GMT
Currently I am not using any genealogy program to track this info but thought it would be so helpful to be able to do so. I am familiar with PAF which allows me to sort and/or search by RIN # or sort alphabetically. But for tracking the DNA participants I need to be able to search or sort by DNA kit #. I don't believe PAF allows sorting or searching by any user assigned number. If it does, I am not aware of it. I am looking for some genealogy program that would allow that. Perhaps a program with more bells and whistles than PAF will allow a search by user assigned number??

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 3:22AM GMT
I'm not familiar with "kit number" however if this number is unique and unchanging, it can be used as an identifier much like an SSN or ISBN. You can also generate a unique id that represents a unique catalog number to each DNA information "package" returned to you. Call this a (custom_id).

In PAF you can use the "Custom ID" field and add for each person that has this identifier the (custom_id). Then you can create a "Custom Report" that sorts on "Custom ID"

You may have to do some filtering to get only individuals with the (custom_id).

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 3:55AM GMT
Oh and you can also search (filter) by the field where it "matches" the value. Be sure to select "show results only".

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 4:32AM GMT
Thanks for your help and the info! I'll study on this!

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 1:32PM GMT
The Master Genealogist aassigne sN ID# ,similar to a RIN (Record Identitifcation Number i PAF terms)but there is also a Ref Number Field where you could put the DNA Kit Number. There are probably other ways to do what you want.

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 2:55PM GMT
Robert,

JanieKim had specifically asked about PAF which does not give its users access to the GEDCOM REFN tag nor do they have it as a selection value. I agree that this is the most appropriate tag for the DNA KIT NBR but if you don't have access then you must create a Custom Tag in PAF.

As I stated before RIN numbers should not be messed with because they are generally used by programs as a DB Key and even if they are not used by the program they are a GEDCOM value and should not be messed with because you could cause issues when you transfer the DB via GEDCOM to another person.

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 5:11PM GMT
I had not thought it through enough. I tried assigning a user ID for the kit member and his paternal ancestors but as I moved up his line, his ancestors were also ancestors of other kit members and by the time I'd worked up to the earliest common ancestor, that one had abt 10 descendants who had tested. So this isn't going to accomplish what I was hoping for.

I see now that a lot of the newer software programs have a way to document DNA but I haven't looked into them yet.
Janie

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 5:26PM GMT
You can still use PAF and a custom field to maintain your DNA data. The DNA information for a specific person should be entered, just like the persons other facts, Date of Birth, Name, etc. What you do with this data is another thing.

An ID is a unique (no duplicates) special piece of data, SSN are ID's in the USA. The total DNA sequence (no two people will have the exact same sequence) is unique and can be used as an ID, however many people can share the same pieces/parts of the DNA strand (as do humans to other animals) these are not unique and are simply *data*.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions