Search for content in message boards

Would like contact with relatives of Herried (Hereid) Family

Would like contact with relatives of Herried (Hereid) Family

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2002 1:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother is June Harriet Stevens born to Gina Mathilda Herried and Carl H. Stevens in 1917.
Gina was born to Konrad Havarson Hereid and Modily Saby in 1891.
Konrad was born in the US to Haver Hokanson Laegreid and Brita Endresdatter Kyammen in 1853.
Brita was born to Endre Aslankson Kyammen and Guro Oddmundsdatter Laegrid in 1810, they migrated from Norway in early 1800's.
Endre was born to Askak Endreson Kyammen and Guro Persdatter Hereid in 1781.
Guro was born to Per Anderson Hereid and Joronn Olsdatter Hereid in 1759.
Per was born to Anders Person Hereid adn Katla Torsteinsdatter in 1728.
I could go on and on. And I also have all of the siblings of these unions and some of their information. But I thought that it may be a lot to digest. Let me know if any of this is familiar or if more info is needed. Any information about these relatives would be great!!

Re: Would like contact with relatives of Herried (Hereid) Family

PR (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2002 2:18PM GMT
All of the farm names that you've mentioned can be found in the Eidfjord area of Hordaland. In earlier years that district was also known as Øyfjord.
Many many sources and old records for that area have been preserved on LDS microfilm. You should be able to track for relatives who stayed in Norway by carefully following those records in the reverse time direction that we interested in genealogy usually do and then finding some way to post your interest in a media that they might notice - perhaps in some newspaper that is distributed in that region.
I recognize several of the earlier couples that you've mentioned because I also have family history connecting to those farms. For example - the 'Joronn Olsdatter' you listed is my 6th great-grandaunt.

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Herried, Hereid
Thanks for the information!! But where would I be able to view this LDS Microfilm? Sorry, I know little about these things.

Michelle

PR (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 3:14PM GMT
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) have an astounding resource. The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has books, maps, family histories, microfilms of various church records, civil records, censuses, etc. from all around the world. They also maintain much much smaller Family History Centers in a huge network of their local church buildings around the world. In these FHCs you can order copies of microform material from the main library and use their readers and other equipment to review them.
Check their webpages - they have a list of the FHCs and their locations.
http://familysearch.org/
Check your local public library for good books about basic genealogy.
And be sure and look at the various webpages specific to Norwegian genealogy including -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/index.html

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2002 2:36AM GMT
Thanks very much for all the information!! :)

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: HEREID, HERREID, GARATUN, GARETHUN, SAEBBE, SABY
Hi.
Would like to add that www.digitalarkivet.no is a great place to find original records. It's in Norwegian but you can hit an "English" button.
You will be looking in Eidfjord, Ulvik, Hordaland for your (and my)ancestors.
My great grandfather's second wife Anna Tormosdatter Saebbe (Saby) married Endre Haaverson Hereid (Konrad's brother) after the death of both of their spouses. I believe he died in Washington in 1912, she in California in 1940.
Anna was a sister of your Modley Saebbe (Konrad's wife), and named a child Madli/Modley GARETHUN after her (or more probably after another older relative.
Anna's first husband Sylfest GJERMUNDSON GARATUN/GARETHUN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic