Search for content in message boards

T. W. Wark Photography-Lake Linden,

T. W. Wark Photography-Lake Linden,

Posted: 25 May 2005 2:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wark
I have a photo that was taken at this photo studio, I am trying to date the photo. Am interested if anyone might have information about this photographer and when he was in the Lake Linden area.

Re: T. W. Wark Photography-Lake Linden,

Posted: 25 May 2005 1:17PM GMT
Hi,
I looked for the Wark name in the census, there was one in 1920 born in Poland but he was a miner. two appear in 1930 but they were children and the last name was spelled wrong
in the census.
All the Wark names only appear in Lower Michigan.
alicia

Fayth Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 11:24PM GMT
This photo was most likely taken before 1870 as the person it is suppose to be of died in 1871.

Jack (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2005 3:14AM GMT

Posted: 26 May 2005 10:52PM GMT
Thank you for the information. Any idea if he was in the area between 1860 -1870. The photo I have is suppose to be of someone who died in 1871.

Jerilyn (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2005 1:26AM GMT
Fayth,

There is a good book for identifying dates of photos. You might be able to find in a local library, or it might still be for sale. It is called Dressed For the Photographer. The author is Joan Severa, and it was published by the Kent State University Press in 1995.

The author of the book can identify dates of photos by the style of clothing the people are wearing. She is a clothing and fashion expert. The book covers the history of photography in the 19th century (it doesn't do the 20th century). There are lots of reproductions of old photos. I have been able to figure out approximate dates of photos (within 1-3 years) just from looking at the pictures in the book and comparing them to old photos I have.

Jerilyn

Posted: 4 Jun 2005 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Bosanco, Bosanko
Thank you for your information. I believe the photo I have may be of a man named Thomas Bosanko, he lived in the Lake Linden area for about 20 years. Is it possible for you to look in the Polk directory and see if he is listed. He was from Dodgeville, Iowa County, WI. He is in the 1880 census for Dodgeville and then again back there in 1910. I have been unsucesseful in finding him in any 1900 census. Your previous information helped me in connecting the picture to Thomas instead of his brother Samuel.
Thank you

Re Thomas Bosanko

Cat Nielsen (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2005 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Rule, Martin, Bosanko, Dunn

Hi, I have a Bosanko ancestor from Cornwall, so I keep an eye out for Bosanko's where my descendants live. Several years ago I picked up Thomas in the Houghton city directory for 1895. If you have Excel I can email you this info in Excel format.

Would it be possible to get a copy of the photo you have?

Cat Nielsen

Citation: POLK's Calumet, Hancock, Houghton, and Laurium Directories, Copyright {year} By RL Polk & Co.
NAME
YEAR PAGE LAST FIRST MI SPOUSE OCCUPATION ADDRESS CODE ADDRESS TOWN NOTES
1895 414 BOSANKO Thomas R mach. Hd res 2d

Re: Re Thomas Bosanko

Posted: 5 Jun 2005 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: Bosanko, Cornelius
I have Excel format. Were there any other people listed? James Cornelius was married to Thomas & Elizabeth's daughter Sophia. I found them in the 1900 census for Schoolcraft for Lake Linden, but census is bad so very had to read.

Re: Re Thomas Bosanko

Posted: 21 Oct 2006 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2006 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Cornelius
James H. Cornelius is buried in Section 1, Block 38, Lot 2, Grave 2 of Maple Hill cemetery in Lake Linden, Michigan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions