Search for content in message boards

Confederate Civil War deaths - Jubal Young wife Martha

Confederate Civil War deaths - Jubal Young wife Martha

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Young
Jubal did not return home to his wife Martha Akers and assumed he was killed during battle. Looking for any records about his military service and death. Jubal was the son of John Young and Elizabeth Stanley all from Franklin County,Virginia near the city of Rocky Mount

Re: Confederate Civil War deaths - Jubal Young wife Martha

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
My Book: Franklin County,Va Cemeteries printed by the Franklin County Historical Society shows a "Jubble Young" born 10-27-1849, died 6-26-1938 buried in Jubal Young Cemetery, at the corner of Cricket Lane and Fork Mountain Road.

That is all it says. Would this be him? I hope this helps.
Shelley

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 11:49PM GMT
He would have been only 12 years old at the start of the War. Could be Junior. The NPS soldier files don't show any Jubal Youngs serving in Virginia regiments.

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 11:55PM GMT
Try looking for him here and his wife's pension:

http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/using_collections.asp#_gu...

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 12:26AM GMT
Looks like Mrs. Young didn't get her pension. Some of the records are too pixelized to read clearly. Apparently he was supposedly a guard at Danville Prison as a member of a reserve regiment. Someone may have put the wrong name down (James).

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 2:31AM GMT
Try to print it off first or did you do that already? Sometimes when it prints, it is more readable.
Also , if some one has FOLD 3 , you can get those same records off that site and they are more legible.
good luck! and Happy Easter.
Shelley

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 4:24AM GMT
Since it's not my family and I was just trying to help a little I didn't bother. I was able to read the handwritten affidavit well enough to see that she was Jubal's wife. I wonder if the Jubal you found in the cemetery record was their son? Someone allowed me to use their password for FOLD3 sveral months ago and I was able to download all my family CW Compiled Service Records and a bunch of Census records. Worked great, good quality. Thanks for the tip though!

You have yourself a great Easter as well!

Bob

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 2:43PM GMT
Bob, Your person could order his death cert from Richmond for $12 and see if there is a notation he was a veteran OR you could email the Roanoke library to see if they have an obit on this guy for that date OR you could put up a memorial for him on findagrave.com and see if a volunteer will take a photo of his headstone. Some headstones show they were in the Civil War.
Here is the link to the Roanoke library, but there is no guarantee they will have one, but can check for you. They are very nice about this and the service is free:
virginiaroom@gmail.com

Shelley

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 5:47PM GMT
Actually my replies were regarding johnyoung1961's original post concerning his ancestor. But thanks for the info anyway. By the way, I did find a card from a Compiled Service Record listing Jubal Young as a member of Company B, 5th Battalion Virginia Reserves. This doesn't prove it, but makes it likely that he was a guard at a prison camp at the time of his death per the affidavit provided in Martha's pension application. Reserve troops were used as PW camp guards. The only info besides his unit is the fact that he received an issue of clothing on October 5, 1864.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions