Search for content in message boards

Patience Wells, wife of Jacob Johns SC

Patience Wells, wife of Jacob Johns SC

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 9:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jun 2011 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Johns/Wells
Today I "proved" that Patience Johns maiden name was Wells. I found her father, Benjamin Wells, land plat for 100 acres in Craven Co SC in the SC archives. I have the image, which unfortunately I cannot post here. But it is the same 100 acres on Bell Branch of 25 Mile Creek in Craven Co SC which Jacob & Patience registered a deed on.
He gave it as a gift of inheritance in 1770 to his daughter and son-in-law. For that era, nothing could be more conclusive, in my opinion. Too bad Vera Mallon and Burt Johns are not alive to view this great find. Cliff Johns

Re: Patience Wells, wife of Jacob Johns SC

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: Johns, Hall, Kelly
Cliff,
I am the daughter of Leonard Thornton Johns (1916 - 1999)), son of Leonard Garfield Johns, Sr (1880 - 1967) son of Levi Johns (1842-1910) married to Martha Hal1, all of FL, Bradford County.

When Levi J. Johns (father of above Levi) first came to FL, he was in Alachua County, having come down from Camden County, GA and was married to Mary Kelly, according to my Dad's records. I believe his father to be Jeremiah. So I think we are related through Jeremiah and Jacob. Does this jive with your records? I have been so fascinated by your posts. I am in awe of all the research you have done on the Johns family.
Thanks,
Emily Johns McDonald

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Johns
Thank you for your kind words. Your linage sounds pretty right to me. First, there were two Jeremiahs, your Jeremiah E. Johns, b. 1788, son of Jacob Johns and Patience Wells, not to be confused with Jeremiah H. Johns, b. 1798. Jeremiah E. Johns had a son Levi born 9Jan1815, but I don't have his descendancy. Jacob's son Levi b. 1770 was married to Easter according to the 1817 land deed of sale. He had a son Levi who married Keziah Dekle, and I have them as the parents of your Levi J. Johns. It is confused further by the orphan issue re John Lee posted here, but I think this is right. Contact me at aor7capt@aol.com and I will giveyou all the data/sources I have. Best, Cliff Johns

Posted: 19 May 2013 8:30AM GMT
Surnames: Johns, Walker, McLain, McLean
I'm hoping you can help. Where does Susannah McLain, said to be a grandmother to Patience's daughter Elizabeth Johns Walker come into the family tree???

Thanks!

Posted: 19 May 2013 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Johns, McLain
Notes for ELIZABETH JOHNS:
Elizabeth Johns wife of Littleberry Walker was born in South Carolina about 1770. There has been questions about her maiden name being McClain due to a deed from Susannah McClain to her granddaughter, Elizabeth Margaret Walker, which could have been another Elizabeth Walker. Elizabeth and Littleberry named a daughter Susannah, which could have been for her grandmother; it is possible that she was the mother of Elizabeth Johns' mother Patience Johns, maiden name unknown. Elizabeth Johns and Littleberry Walker signed a deed in 1817 for land in the Colleton District South Carolina which was the same land purchased by her father Jacob Johns. Her mother Patience Johns also signed along with other brothers and sisters and their spouses. At the time of the deed Littleberry and Elizabeth were living in Wayne County, Georgia. At the time of a deed of gift to his first eight children on September 1, 1807, Littleberry appointed his brother-in-law John Johnston of Wayne County (husband of his sister Mary) and Isaac Johns (brother of Elizabeth) to be trustees of his minor children. Elizabeth and Littleberry Walker were received by letter into the High Bluff Church in Wayne County on February 7, 1824. Elizabeth died about 1835.

The above note from another researcher answers your question, I think, but we now know that Patience's maiden name was Wells. Cliff Johns
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions