Search for content in message boards

Kirkley, Asa

Kirkley, Asa

Posted: 5 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 7:31PM GMT
Asa Kirkley m. Nancy Hurley Aug. 22, 1808 in Harrison Co, (W)VA. They went to Henry and Hancock Co.s, IN, and then (I think), widowed Asa went with his son, John, to Marshall Co. IN. Believe he died there in the 1840s. Asa was the son of Robert Kirkley. Asa's daughter, Nancy Kirkley Moore, lived in Carrollton, Carroll Co. IN, and in the 1850 census had her (probable) sister, b 1826, living with them. No further trace of Elizabeth after that. Any help would be welcome!

Re: Kirkley, Asa

Posted: 17 Nov 2001 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Warinner, Johns,Vaught,
I am looking for information on the Kirkley family My maiden name was Kirkley. I am from Greene County, Indiana.I am looking for information on Robert Alexander Kirkley, he died in 1956. He was married to Ella Berniece Warinner. Any information is appreciated. I think that we might be related.

Posted: 17 Nov 2001 2:07PM GMT
To be very honest, I haven't done a lot with the Kirkleys, and that was done 15-20 years ago. My Nancy Kirkley who married 1842, Hancock Co IN, to Addison Grigg Moore, was born ca 1822, probably in Harrison Co (W)VA, daughter of Asa and Nancy Hurley Kirkley, m 1808, Harrison Co. Asa was born ca 1788, prob son of Robert Kirkley b ca 1755. Nancy had (unproven) sibs William, John b ca 1813 and Elizabeth b ca 1826. I don't know when Asa came to Hancock Co, but he supposedly moved to Marshall Co IN with his son, William, and died there. Nancy Kirkley Moore and her husband, Addison, moved to Carroll Co IN, where she died in 1901.

It is entirely possible that Asa had more children. Or we may connect through a brother of Asa's.

Let me know if you think we can connect!

Sue Zobbe
Indy

stella (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2001 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: KIRKLEY-WARINNER,MOORE
We have alot of Robert Kirkleys in my family. i don't know anything about mu grandfathers family before him. HE MARRIED A WWARINNER. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE THEY WERE MARRIED OR WHEN. WE COULD POSSIBLY BE RELATED. I AM HIS GRAND-DDAUGHTER. MY NAME IS STELLA KIRKLEY DONALDSON. we also have the moore line in our family.
Posted: 6 Jan 2002 11:21PM GMT
I also had a John, Robert and Asa Kirkley in my family. Could there possibly be a chance that they are the same? E-mail me at smd1952@yahoo.com. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you

Posted: 3 Aug 2003 5:30PM GMT
I'm a bit confused. I haven't kept track of this board for a long time. Are we talking multiple Asa Kirkleys here? I didn't know about a daughter named Belinda, but my Asa was from Harrison Co., (W)VA, so that does seem to tie in.
Sue Zobbe

Posted: 4 Feb 2005 8:01PM GMT
I haven't done anything with this line in forever, but it's probably time to point out that Asa Kirkley, age 72 ,( b ca 1788) in Va (prob Harrison Co, now WV) was still alive in 1860, living in Hancock Co. IN, Center Twp., Greenfield PO. He was living with his daughter, Elizabeth A, who had married Robert A. Barr. He had evidently been married before and lived in OH. So sometime between 1850, when Elizabeth was with her sister, Nancy, and her husband, Addison G. Moore, in Carroll Co., IN, Elizabeth came back to Hancock Co and married Robert Barr in 1854.

Beyond Robert Kirkley apparently being Asa's father when he married Nancy Hurley in 1808 in Harrison Co. VA, I have not established anything further re Asa's parentage.

I encountered a Bill Kirkley at the Indiana State Library back in the early 80s, also descended from Asa and Nancy, and he's the one who said that Asa died in Marshall Co IN.

Sue Zobbe

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 6:22PM GMT
I have kept in touch with Sue Zobbe over the years. My mom thought Asa came to Marshall Co but she was wrong. Asa lived with daughter Elizabeth and family in Hancock Co. He died in 1864 and I think is buried somewhere in Hancock Co. Elizabeth and family moved to Ralls Co MO and she is buried in Lick Creek Cemetery. Daughter Belinda is buried at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery south of Greefield. Daughter Nancy is buried at Beech Grove Cemetery in Carroll Co. Son William is buried at Kelsey Cemetery south of Ft. Wayne. Son John(my gggrandfather) is buried at Stewart Cemetery in Adams Co IL. Asa had another daughter Sarah that I have no info on. Asa had a second wife Elizabeth Alexander. He fathered two daughters with her, Sarah and Mary. Mary is buried in Park Cemetery in Hancock Co and Sarah is buried in Sugar Creek Methodist Cemetery in Shelby Co. I also have info on Asa's siblings, who they married and where they are buried. Asa's first wife was Nancy Hurley. I believe she died in Hancock Co and is buried there somewhere.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions