Search for content in message boards

VAUGHAN FAMILY

VAUGHAN FAMILY

Posted: 4 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: VAUGHAN, VAUGHN, HILL
Looking for information re the VAUGHAN family that lived in Prince George Co., VA ca 1700's. Robert VAUGHAN b ca 1705, father may be Nicholas. Son James b ca 1743 md Ann HILL. The family at some time may have moved to Amelia Co. Any help appreciated, Loanne

Nicholas Vaughan & Ann Vaughan

Doug Fitts (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Vaughan, Fitts, Sentell, Sental
This following excerpt from the Fitts Family Journal may interest researchers of Vaughan. Hopefully this will help you and me. Ann Vaughan/Sentell was my 5th GGM.

Henry1 Fitts (Sr) was born in Prince George Co, Va about 1705 (Dinwiddie Co Va) Henry died after 1753 in Dinwiddie Co
Va. Henry is named with land adjoining that of Vaughan, Reese and Eppes in 1753. It is assumed Henry is still living.

He married Ann (Sentell or Vaughan) in Prince George Co, Va., before 1734. Henry and Ann were named administrators of the estate of Nicholas Vaughan as shown the court records. Petition of Richard Hix, Guardian and next friend of Abraham Vaughan, a minor, vs. Henry Fitz and Ann, his wife,administrators of Nicholas Vaughan, deceased August 14, 1739. Had Henry been named administrator due to expertise or relation to Nicholas Vaughan, Ann would not normally be named with her husband. Nicholas Vaughan was more likely a relation to Ann (father, husband, brother)
Henry Fitts land bounded that of a William Vaughan(4/19/1753
Thomas Reese 108A both sides of Cock's Road adj. Wm Eppes, William Vaughan & Henry Fitts-- /Thomas P Hughes, Jr, Dinwiddie Co Va Data 1752-1865, Memphis Tn, 1975)

A letter from Vista Fitts Finnell(Mrs, J.W.) who was a descendant of James Harris Fitts, believed that Henry's wife was Ann Sentell or Sental(letter to Susan LeBrec of Sept. 13, 1981)Henry received land grants made to him by patents issued by the Governor, W Gooch, as appears on the Virgina Land Resistry in the State Land Office. Henry Fitts, 400 acres in Prince George County on the head of Leadbekeis River(Creek),February 9, 1737, adjoining Laughlin Flyn's line (Thomas P Hughes, Jr, Dinwiddie Co Va Data 1752-1865, Memphis Tn, 1975. In 1738, Henry was the overseer of Hatchers Run. Four Hundred acres in Prince George County on Nammisseen'Namoxine Creek and adjoing the lands of Robert Bolling and John Fitzgerald, September 5, 1749. Two hundred and Four acres in Prince George County, on both sides of Mawhoponock'Whipponock Creek, and adjoining the land of Edward Traylor, December 15, 1749. In 1753, land adjoining Henry Fitz was held by William Vaughan and William Eppes and Thomas Rees at Cock's Road in Dinwiddie County.(Thomas P Hughes, Jr., Dinwiddie Co Va Data 1752-1865, Memphis, Tn, 1975) This portion of Prince George county later became Dinwiddie County, and Amelia Counties, Many records of both counties have been destroyed. Leabettors creek and Whipponock Creek are both just West of the Petersburg City limits and flow into the Appomattox River. Namozine Creek is about 2 1/2 miles further west at what is now the dividing line between current Dinwiddie and Amelia Counties. Doug Fitts in Mt Ida Ar

Thomas Vaughan

Allan F. Craig (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Vaughan, Davenport, Featherston
I am researching the children of George DAvenport of Amelia County, VA. Goerge's daugther, Susanna married Richard Featherston of Amelia County before her father's death in 1773. Richard Featherston appears in Court Records of Lincoln County, NC in 1790 and apparently dies about 1795. His widow, Susanna DAvenport Featherston, marries a Thomas Vaughan by before 1800 (?)

The Davenports were first found in Prince George County.

In your search, have you found a Thomas Vaughn that would be at least 50 yrs of age in 1800?

James VAUGHAN

Posted: 15 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: VAUGHAN, HILL
Thanks Doug...at least this gives me some other areas to check...appreciate the info. Loanne

VAUGHAN

Doug Fitts (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: VAUGHAN
Hi Allan,

Sorry I can't help you with your Thomas Vaughan at this time. I am still trying to find a connection with my Ann
Vaughan in Prince George Co,Va. Was Vaughan a married name
for Ann? What Vaughan line does she belong?

Have you looked at the GenForum.com site? After getting to the Vaughan forum, use the keyword box and type in Thomas Vaughan. You may be surprised what you find.

Doug Fitts in Mt Ida Ar

Re: VAUGHAN

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 5:52PM GMT
Doug, Do you know what relationship that John Mayes and Christopher Robertson had with Fitz?They filed a petition in Prince George, Co against this Fitz in 1731. I know that they were the security for the estate of Nichloas Vaughn. I believe there must be a connection to Ann through one of these men. Thanks, Shirley

Doug Fitts (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2002 6:43AM GMT
Surnames: Fitz, Sentel, Vaughan
Shirley,
Your reference to Fitz, was Henry Fitz, b. abt 1700, Prince George Co.? As far as I can tell and this is very confusing,
he was the father of a Henry Fitz, b. 1734 in Prince George Co to an Ann Sentel, by parish records. She could have been Ann Vaughan, married to Nicholas Vaughan. He had children from a previous marriage. There are records of an Ann Vaughan & Henry Fitz, 1739 in court being sued by an Abraham Vaughan, minor for his rights to property. I will have to look back in my files to see who were the names of others who were involved with Abraham Vaughan. This Ann Sentel, is thought to have been a very loose woman and could have been with several different men. Robertson rings a bell, but let me look in my files and will get back at you

Posted: 15 Apr 2002 1:07AM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2004 1:49AM GMT
Thanks a lot. I would appreciate any info you have. Shirley

Doug Fitts (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 3:55AM GMT
Shirley,
It was another Robertson in 1737 involved with a robbery implicating this Anne Sental/Vaughan?, as his wife.
The other court matter with a Henry Fitz & Ann Vaughan, his wife was in 1739, Prince George Co, Va.. They were being sued by a son of Nicholas Vaughan, Abraham Vaughan, a minor. I posted this on the Prince George boards, 10 Oct 2000. You can view this by clicking on my name and it will bring up all of my posts.

I am interested in your data concerning the petition filed 1731 against Henry Fitz by John Mayes & Christopher Robertson. As you know most records for this county have been destroyed by fire and it makes it very difficult for researchers. Thanks, Doug Fitts in Mt Ida Ar

Doug Fitts (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 4:01AM GMT
Shirley,
According to my records, Nicholas Vaughan died sometime in 1738. Are we talking about the same Nicholas Vaughan, b. abt 1685, Charles City, Va., d. 1738, Amelia Co, Va.?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions