Search for content in message boards

DAVEY, ASHBURN

DAVEY, ASHBURN

Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2003 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: DAVY, DAVEY
Am searching info on Ashburn Davey, son of William Davy and Lady Mary Ashbourne. Who was Ashburn's spouse, Elizabeth Pattern? Would also be interested in ancestry of William and Mary. SDH

Davey, Ashburn

Posted: 6 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Davie, Peacock, Horton
That's interesting new info to me. Have you seen any documentation about the William and Mary marriage?

My GGG Grandfather, Dr. Edward Bumpass Davie (not to be confused with uncle with same name) had a plantation outside of Brownsville, TN (Haywood Co.) which isn't too far from Memphis. I wonder whose was the plantation with the sign.

One of Dr. Edward's sons in law, Dr. Jacob N. Wardlaw, along with a P.H. Davie (I don't know who this Davie is) opened a cotton house in Memphis in 1860, but closed it because of the war, according to Goodspeed's Biographies.

Someday I'd like to travel to western TN and do some research.

- Ray

DAVEY, ASHBURN

Surnames: DAVEY
Also in my records from years ago, I had noted that Mary Ashbourne and William Davy were married in Annapolis after their arrival in this county. I note that both died in Person Co, NC, but were buried on the estate near Washington DC. Then my branch goes from NC to Tenn. to Texas. When you travel to Memphis, Tenn today, right before you cross the Miss. River there is a big sign that says Davie Plantation. I understand that it is open for tours today and that there is a woman there named Davie who set up the museum. I have not been there to see for myself, but someone from Memphis told me it was there. I did pass through there in the 1970s on my way to Nashville and saw the sign, but had no idea there was anything else there, and there may not have been at that time. My great-grandfather Gabriel Jones Davie had inscribed on his tombstone "Capt. Gabriel Jones Davie, C Company, Arkansas, Civil War. SDH
Surnames: Davey
In the 70s when I was researching, a genealogist from either Christian County,KY or Montgomery County,TN sent me copies out of an old history book that had the Davey/Davie family in it. It stated that they owned a big plantation in Montgomery County, TN, had many slaves, and made their fortune in cotton. They lost everything during the Civil War. Also, prior to the Civil War, the family lost many acres of land because they had changed their name from Davy to Davey to Davie and could not prove for sure that they were the same Davys who had changed their name ater the Revolutionary War. After the war (the Civil War, that is), my great-grandfather came to Texas with his wife, Sarah Reeves, who was also his cousin, and a small baby boy that she gave birth to during the War. As the story goes, on his return from the war, Sarah was waiting, along with one of the slaves, and this little boy. He rode up on his horse, looked down at the boy and said, "Who is he?" The slave answered, "Mastah, he's yours." So he and wife Sara packed up and left Tennessee for Texas shortly thereafter. Sarah died in Texas, and his second wife died in Texas, then he married my great-grandmother who was from Louisiana.
SDH

Davey, Ashburn

Surnames: Davie, Peacock, Horton
My line goes from Gabriel and Elizabeth (Bumpass) to Gabriel Davie m Tabitha Fowlkes (moved to Madison Co. TN) to their son Dr. Edward Bumpass Davie (not to be confused with uncle of same name) m Jane Holloway (Person Co.NC > Madison Co., Ala.> Haywood Co. TN)to Martha Davie m Dr. Rufus Wilie Peacock > Mignonnette (Nettie) Peacock m Harry E. Horton > Rufus W. Horton, my grandfather.

That's an interesting story about the name change from Davey/Davy to Davie. I hadn't heard it before, but it makes sense. That's also an interesting story about William and Mary. I hadn't heard it either. The info about an estate near where Washington DC is now rings a bell - I may have heard that.

DAVEY, ASHBURN

Thank you for responding. My line goes from Ashburn Davey to Gabriel (married Elizabeth Bumpass) to their son, William Davey, who married Margaret (Peggy) Jones, migrated to Tenn., then came William B. Davie, married Mary B. Pool, and then my great-grandfather, Gabriel Jones Davie, who came to Dallas County, Texas, where the family is to this day. Much of my info comes from a near professional genealogist and it seems to coincide with yours. I suspect it is correct. I started this back in 1975, and did not do anything else with it until the Internet came along. I am now nearing retirement age, and needed a hobby of sorts. I have a lot of queries out concering this Ashburn to try to establish the name of his wife and something about her. On my written records from the 70s, I had written in Elizabeth Pattern, but with a question mark. You've answered that question, so I will continue to search. This family continued to give their children the same names generation after generation and now this makes it hard for us. If you will send me your fax number I have a couple of old letters that might be of interest to you relating to the Daveys. My Davie family spells their name with the "ie". I am told the reason the spelling of the name was changed was because after the Revolutionary War they were not too fond of the British, so changed their name to the "French" variation. Someone also told me the story that Lady Mary Ashbourne was English Royalty, and that William Davy worked in her father's store in Wales. They fell in love, wanted to marry and had to leave England to do so, because her father was opposed to it because apparently William Davy was not a blue blood. Anyway, as the story goes, they boarded a ship to America. At the time, her brother was an officer in the British Army and her father sent him to America to retrieve the little Lady and bring her back to England. The Davys found out about this, and had to keep moving to stay one step ahead of him for a couple of years. Finally, he died of some kind of fever in America, but not before he fathered some children here. In the 1970s, I corresonded with a descendant of one of his children, and she told me this story. It could be true? Had you ever heard it? SDH
P.S. I also have in my records that both William and Mary had an estate near where Washington DC is today, and that they were both buried there.

Davey, Ashburn

Surnames: Davie - Davey, Peacock, Horton
This is my line, but I don't have much going that far back.
I have William DAVEY about 1670 in Glouchestershire, Wales married to Lady Mary ASHBOURNE. I show that Ashburn was their child born about 1700 in Maryland, but I have no marriage info. I show Elizabeth PATTERN as wife of his grandson Asburn (b c 1774).
This latter Asbburn is son of Gabriel Davey and Elizabeth BUMPASS, with a number of brothers and sisters. One son Gabriel, is my line. None of this is my original research but info I received from others through research on the Internet. What is your line? - Ray
Posted: 12 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
I have Gabriel's in every Davey/Davie generation back to the 1600s. I don't have a Samuel Davey in my direct line. My Davey/Davie family migrated south to NC, Ky Tenn, Ark. and Texas. They began in Maryland in the 1600s. Wish I could be more help. SDH

Davey Family

Posted: 12 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Samuel Davey, Charles Gabriel, William
I noticed you have Gabriels in your history. By any chance would you have a Charles Gabriel (1841-1914) son of Samuel Davey.
Charles and his brother William (1834- ?) both emigrated to Canada.

Irene House (Davey)
Niagara Falls
bhouse9@home.com

Re: Davey, Ashburn

Sara Holt (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Davey
Ray, my line goes from William and Mary Ashbourne Davey to their son, Ashburn, to Gabriel who m. Elisabeth Bumpass, to their son William Davey, m. Margaret (Peggy) Jones, to their son, William B. Davie, m. Mary B. Pool, to my great-grandfather, Gabriel Jones Davie. Sara Holt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions