Search for content in message boards

Seeking Descendants of Daniel Hudgens of KY

Seeking Descendants of Daniel Hudgens of KY

Posted: 22 Aug 2004 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hudgens, Turpin
Looking to correspond with descendants of Daniel Hudgens of Lincoln Co., KY and Dolly McNelly Hudgens. Possible children of this couple: Ballard Hudgens b. 3 Feb 1801 Washington Co., KY, d. 20 Nov 1874 Ray Co., MO; Prince S. Hudgens b. 1805. I believe I have found a connection to this family for my Hudgens branch (John Hudgens b.16 Dec 1783, d. abt. 1848, Andrew Co., MO) and would like to share data.

Re: Seeking Descendants of Daniel Hudgens of KY

Posted: 24 Aug 2004 1:46AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2004 2:01PM GMT
I am interested in knowing if this family is the same as the one who came from Buckingham Co., VA . Mine went to early Green Co., KY

The children named as Issue of Mr. Hudgens (first name unknown) is in my FORD Binder and is from the deposition listed as "Depo: of NATHAN AYERS 24th November 1821, Buckingham Co., Va tavern of Hezekiah Lipscomb at Buckingham Courthouse:

This deposition list all the Brothers and Sisters of John Hudgens, Sr. SEE HANNAH HUDGENS for the entire depostions.

Marsha, Hannah's father and mother were Robert Hudgens and Martha Parker.
This is proved through a series of deeds of gift's to John, Moses (Daniel is
his son), James, and Holloway Hudgens. The court records in Kentucky confirm
that the four are brothers and the deeds of gift to them by Robert Hudgens
proves he is their father. You can see what I found at this web address:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5339/hudgens3.html
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Ran

Hudgeons/Hudgens/Hudgins
Buckingham and Cumberland Counties, Virginia Family Group Sheets

The following family group sheets were found during my research on the Cumberland and Buckingham Hudgens/Hudgins. I use both spellings of the Hudgens surname, however, if the official record shows one preference it is the one I use. This does not mean that it is the true spelling used by that individual. As anyone who has researched the Hudgens knows the surname spelling can change in an instance between records. Spellings I have encountered during my research are: Hugin, Hugen, Hugon, Hudgin, Hudgen, Hudgeons, Hudgens, and Hudgins. It is hoped that these family group sheets will help sort out the numerous Hudgens families found in these areas.

It would appear that Philip, John, William,Sr., Ambrose, and Robert Hudgens were likely brothers. There is a deed in DB 1, pg. 73 in Cumberland County, where John purchases land (1749) from Thomas Deavenport, Jr. The land was once owned by Philip Hudgens (1746, Philip's wife on the original deed was Usley). Philip sold the land to Thomas Deavenport in 1748. On this deed John Hudgens is listed as "Of St. Margaret's Parish and Caroline County." At one time or another in the 1740s and 1750s Robert, Ambrose, William, Philip and John all owned land on Willis River. Robert would eventually purchase land once owned by Philip Hudgens on a branch of Willis River. As with John, Robert was close friends with the Holloway family. Robert Hudgens and John Colquit were appointed executors of John Hudgens estate when he died. In Amelia County in 1740, William and Robert Hudgens were defendants against Thomas Dawson. John Hudgens is also noted in several deeds as a resident of Amelia County during this time period. The portion of Amelia County that became Cumberland County included Willis River.

I have at times tried to speculate who is who, father or son, but I will only give what I have found in the records. At the end of this document is my "gut" feeling of who the father is of Robert, John, Ambrose, William, Jr. and Ambrose Hudgens. So far none of those records specifically identify who is their father. With records destroyed in King William, Buckingham, Caroline Counties, it may never be known.

In a few articles printed in the Norfolk area newspaper in the 1970's, someone speculated that Robert was the son of Robert and Charlotte Lewis Hudgens. This was an easy connection to make between the Tidewater Hudgins, Isle of Wright, Mathews County, Virginia (Houlder Hudgins line) and those Hudgens found north in Caroline and Amelia County, Virginia. I do not, however, believe that these two lines are connected in that way. Robert Hudgens father remains pure speculation without tangible proof.

I have tried to include the sources for most of the information found here. If you have questions regarding the information listed here please email me at:
graal1@yahoo.com

Allied Families:
| Holloway | Meador | Snoddy | Wilkerson/Wilkinson |
Last updated: 6-7-03
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Hudgens (ca. 1705-1778) "of Caroline County" or "St. Margaret's Parish" or Amelia County
Robert Hudgens, b.est. 1705, d.bef. 1778 at Cumberland County, Virginia
Robert, Ambrose, Philip, William Sr. and John Hudgens can all be found in Cumberland County between the years 1738 and 1755. Robert Hudgens owned the largest amount of land than any of the others. I have not yet found proof of the true relationships between the Hudgens of Cumberland County. Ambrose Hudgens may be the Ambrose Hudgens that moved to South Carolina. William Hudgens, Jr.? may have moved to North Carolina. Philip Hudgens may have moved to Georgia. This is during the period of 1750-60 when they disappear from records in Cumberland County and those names begin to appear in records in those locations.
Most of the land Robert received as patents for importing settlers was located on Horn Quarter Creek and Bear Creek. These creeks are located off of Willis River in the middle western part of Cumberland County, Virginia. I can only speculate this, but Robert may have imported his brothers Ambrose, Philip, John, and William to Virginia.

I have not had any success in finding early evidence of land records for the Hudgens family in Caroline County where they had numerous court cases. Robert and John Hudgens are referred to in a few deeds as "Of Caroline County." The most interesting of these court cases involves Drury Hudgens. Robert Hudgens represented Drury in claim for money owed to his father John Hudgens in Caroline County. John Colquit was also there as a representative.

Sometimes you will see other researchers showing a middle initial for Robert Hudgens as a "R". This was actually his mark as it appears on deeds.

Robert Hudgens, living in Cumberland County, advertises two mares taken up by him in the Virginia Gazette, 11 July and 17 July 1755.

Deed Book 1, Amelia County, Virginia, pg. 223. William Evans, Blacksmith, of Caroline County, Virginia to Robert Hudgins, Planter. Dated 21 March 1739. Consideration 15 pounds. Wit: Henry Anderson, Samuel Scott, and Jesse Scott. 300 acres, being whole tract patent by said William Evans on 13 October 1736, bounded in part by William Gates' lower cor. next Pruits Creek near a small rocky branch, William Austin's line, line of William Fuqua, alias Bentley, and lines of William Hendrick and William Gates. Deed ackn by William Evans and ordered recorded at Court held 25 March 1739. From: Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey. Deed Book 1, Amelia County, Virginia Deeds 1735-1743 Bonds 1735-1741. Amelia: Mid-South Publishing Co., 1981

Robert Hudgens was named as administrator of William Hendrick's estate. Robert Hudgens married Martha Hendrick (nee Parker), the widow of William Hendrick. "Robert Hudgens and Martha, his wife, late relict of William Hendrick dec'd, granted administration of said Hendrick's estate, James Collins and John Hudgens, Security, Richard Eckhols, Samuel Bentley, Edward Osborn, and Benjamin Hubbard, or any three, to appraise said estate." 28 January 1739, Amelia County, Virginia, Court Order Book 1.

Deed Book 2, Amelia County, Virginia, pg. 303. Robert (X) Hudgins to John Drinkwater. Dated 18 April 1746 Consideration 30 pounds. Wit: None. 200 acres B/S Fort Branch of Mayes Branch of Flatt Creek, being patented to William Sizemore on 9 February 1737, and bounded as by sd. patent. Possession obtained by John Drinkwater on 18 April 1746. Deed ackn. by Robert Hudgins on 18 April 1746 and ordered recorded after Martha, HIS WIFE relinquished her right of dower. From: Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey. Deed Book 2, Amelia County, Virginia Deeds 1742-1747. Amelia: Mid-South Publishing Co., 1982

He first appears in the records for Ameila County, Virginia in 1736. He appears in a large amount of Grand Juries from 1739 to 1744 (and maybe further). Generally, those choosen for grand juries are older (21 or above) and established citizens, landowners, in the community.

Robert Hudgens, along with John Colquit, was the executor of John Hudgens estate. This was in Caroline County, Virginia. Robert Hudgens was also appointed as guardian for John Hudgens' daughter Mary Hudgens who married Francis Flippen. Most people show John Hudgens, husband of Martha Holloway (?), death date as 23 October 1758, but he was at least dead by 13 June 1755 as based on court record: "Action of Debt. Robert Hudgens and c. executors of John Hudgens against James Martin. The defendant says he cannot deny he owes 10.4 pounds current money. It's considered by the Court the plaintiffs recover 10.4 pounds." Caroline County, Virginia Court Order Book.

Robert Hudgens and John Colquit ran an "ordinary" at Robert's house in 1754.

Robert Hudgens children based on Deeds (notice that each of them only paid 5 shillings for their properties, most likely deeds of gift):

Robert Hudgens grantor to Moses Hudgens, five shillings, 400 acres by patent dated 5 September 1746, adj. William Holidays, a branch of Bear Creek, Robert Hughes, John Allen. 25 June 1759, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 2, pp. 490.

Robert Hudgens grantor to Ambrose Hudgens, five shillings, 200 acres adj. Buckingham Road, to a ridge, to a flatt rock on the west side of Willis River, 23 July 1764, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 3, pp. 494

Robert Hudgens grantor to James Hudgens, five shillings, 175 acres, adj. Horn Quarter Creek, Witness: Moses Hudgens, Maurice Langhorne, Joseph Caldland, 27 February 1771, Cumberland County, Virginia Deed Book 4, pp. 457

Robert Hudgens grantor to Holloway Hudgens, five shillings, 115 acres, "Being part of the said plantation whereon I (Robert) now live," adj. Horn Quarter Run, Morris Langhorne, Alexander Trent. Witness: Moses Hudgens, John Hudgens, Kiddyan Hudgens, Boaz Ford, 3 August 1772, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 5, pp. 142

Robert Hudgens grantor to John Hudgens, five shillings, 110 acres, adj. Alexander Trent, Horn Quarter Run, Witness: Moses Hudgens, Holloway Hudgens, Boaz Ford, Kiddyan Hudgens, 3 August 1772, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 5, pp. 143.

Horn Quarter Creek is located near Trents Mill in present day Cumberland County, Virginia.

Robert Hudgens death date estimated from the will of Jonas Meador: "Jehu Meador, administrator paid: Holloway Hudgens for account of Robert Hudgens...In obedience to order of Court account was dated 23 November 1778." Cumberland County, Will Book 2, pg. 257. A Robert Hudgens also appears on the tax list for Cumberland County, Virginia in 1787. If Robert was still alive in 1787 he would have been a very old man.

Spouse: Martha Parker, b.ca. 1700-10 at Essex County, Virginia
Martha is the daughter of Robert Parker of Essex County, Virginia. Robert Parker may be the son of Thomas Parker of Essex County, Virginia. A Robert Parker was sheriff of Essex County. This Robert Parker was also a lawyer.
18 June 1736, bill of sale for a slave: Thomas Waring, of Essex County, to William Hendrick and his wife Martha, daughter of Robert Parker, late of Essex County, deceased, for 100 pounds, two Negroes, York and Frank... Witness: Joseph Munday, John Wood. Essex County Deed Book 21, page 11

20 September 1737, Martha Hendrick, widow, heir apparent of Robert Parker, deceased, of St. Anne Parish, Essex County, to Thomas Waring, of Essex County, for 90 pounds, an indefeazable Estate of Inheritance in fee simple, being 200 acres in Essex County, including a grist mill called Pleas Mills, adjoining said Waring; Robert Baggs, orphan of Edmond Baggs; John Tayloe; and the Mill Pond...being the land whereon John Parker formerly lived, and now in the tenure and occupation of Thomas Waring... signed Martha Hendrick. Witness: H. Robinson, Francis Waring, W. Beverly. Amelia County, Will Book 1, page 7a, in February 1739/40

Spouse: 1: James Merrit, d.ca. 1734? at Essex County, Virginia
James and Martha Parker Merritt had no issue from their marriage. From Bob Baird: "For instance, the 23 August 1742 accounting of his estate by Robert Hudgens included payments to John and Francis Merrit and Mary Cox for their part of their brother James Merrit's estate which came into the hands and possession of William Hendrick. Other accounting by Robert Hudgens identify James Merrit as the first husband of Martha (Hendrick) Hudgens. Robert Hudgens and his wife Martha were also involved in the final settlement of Merritt's estate. The inventory and appraisal of Merritt's estate was made in January 1734 in Caroline and Essex counties and was recorded in Essex County on 21 July 1736."

Spouse: 2: William Hendrick, d.ca. 1736/37 at Amelia County, Virginia
Amelia County, Will Bk. 1, pg. 7A: William Hendrick INV. Total valuation L48-.8 including two negroes valued at L41. By: Samuel Bentley, Richard Osborn. Sundrys valued in Essex County by Thomas Waring L2.174; Robert Hudgens Administrator February 1739 Returned. William Hendrick was the son of Adolphus Hendrick and grandson of Hance (Hans) Hendrick of Essex County.

Amelia County, Virginia: Will Book 1, pg. 1; L500 bond, Robert Hudgens and Martha Hudgens, administrators for William Hendrick, dec'd; with James Collins and John Hudgens, security. 18 January 1739.

Issue of William Hendrick and Martha Parker Hendrick:

Elizabeth Hendrick, b. 15 May 1732 at King William County, Virginia(?), d. 1 January 1809 at Oglethorpe, Georgia, buried at the Colquitt Family Cemetery, Oglethorpe, Georgia
Spouse: John Colquit, Jr., b. 3 February 1726/27, at Essex, Virginia, d. 1 January 1809 at Oglethorpe, Georgia, buried at the Colquitt Family Cemetery, Oglethorpe, Georgia
Marriage Date: 29 May 1753 at Cumberland County, Virgnia
John Colquit, Sr. and Robert Hudgens operated a Ordinary in Cumberland County, Virgnia:
Robert Hudgens: Cumberland County, Virginia, 25 March 1754. On the motion of Robert Hudgens leave is granted him to keep an ordinary at his house in this county for the space of one year from this time with John Colquit his security entered. Fretwell, Shela S. Abstracts of the Cumberland County, Virginia Court Order Books from June 1749 to May 1756. priv. pub. 1987, pg. 137.

The above information on William Hendrick and John Colquitt came from "Family Search", http://www.familysearch.org/
See also Bob Baird's excellent web site on the Hendricks: Hance Hendrick
Bob Baird shared his research on the Hendrick's family and provided me the information on Martha Hendrick's maiden name as Parker.

Martha had at least one daughter with William Hendricks, Elizabeth. On 21 April 1749 a deed of gift was made between Robert Hudgens and Elizabeth Hendricks. "Deed of Gift, Robert Hudgens to Elizabeth Hendrick ordered recorded." Amelia County, Virginia Court Order Book 2. Robert and Martha were granted administration, 29 January 1739, in Amelia County for the estate of William Hendrick. John Hudgens posted security. What is also unusual is that Robert Hudgens and John Colquitt were named executors of John Hudgens estate. John Colquitt married Elizabeth Hendricks, Martha's daughter with William Hendrick. John Hudgens was a neighbor, ca. 1739, of Hans Hendrick, the grandfather of William Hendrick.

Martha's birth date is based on the Deed of Gift of Robert Hudgens to Elizabeth Hendrick, when she reached age, 21.

Married: ca. 1738/39

Children:

Moses Hudgens, b.ca. 1738-41 at Caroline County, Virginia, d.ca. 1811 at Wayne County, Kentucky
Robert Hudgens grantor to Moses Hudgens, five shillings, 400 acres by patent dated 5 September 1746, adj. William Holidays, a branch of Bear Creek, Robert Hughes, John Allen. 25 June 1759, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 2, pp. 490.
Moses Hudgens served during the Revolutionary War as a private in the 1st Regt. of Light Dragoons, Continental Army. On 17 May 1783, he received a Land Office Military Warrant No. 593 for 100 acres for his 3 years service in the Virginia Continental Line. This land was located in Kentucky.

Moses sold land to Arthur Allen on 26 August 1782 (Cumberland County, Virginia Deed Book 5, pg. 278). Kiddyan is not listed on the deed and may have died before 1784.

March 8, 1810
"I, Moses Hudgens of Wayne County, Kentucky, in consideration to me moving but more especially to prevent litigation and future disturbance and full compliance with the intention of the will of John Hudgens, my brother, who bequeathed to his natural daughter, Sarah Cumminger, all of his real and personal estate. I relinquish any claims for myself. Signed Moses Hudgens, Wit: Thomas Gibson, Joseph Hudgens. July 23, 1811: Deed of relinquishment proven and recorded in Wayne County, Kentucky

Wayne County, Kentucky Court Notes and Deed Book 1, 1811: 18 March 1811 Daniel Hudgeons and Anne Hudgeons, appointed adminsitrators of Moses Hudgeons, deceased. Bond: Anne Hudgeons, Edward Gibson, North East, Archibald E. Mills.
Spouse: Kiddyan _____
Marriage Date:
Moses and Kiddyan Hudgens sold land to Mathew Sims on September 28, 1767. Kiddyan is identified as Moses' wife on the deed. (Cumberland County, Virginia Deed Book 4, pg. 196).

Daniel Hudgens, d.ca. 1836 at Ray County, Missouri
Spouse: Dorothy "Dolly" McNeely
Marriage Date: 12 October 1789 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
In 1787, Daniel Hudgens was living in Lincoln County, Kentucky, Tax List C, self, one horse.
Martha "Patsy" Hudgens
Spouse: William Logan
Marriage Date: 25 March 1812 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Robert Hudgens
Spouse: Susanna Bottom
Marriage Date: 19 December 1820 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Katherine Ann Hudgens, b.ca. 1790 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Spouse: James D. Tucker
Marriage Date: 21 November 1815 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Elizabeth "Betsy" Hudgens, b. 10 April 1796 at Lincoln County, Kentucky, d. 16 March 1866 at Ray County, Missouri
Spouse: William L. Jackson
Marriage Date: 30 December 1820 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Ballard Hudgens, b. 6/3 February 1801 at Lincoln County, Kentucky, d. 20 November 1874 at Ray County, Missouri
Spouse: Nancy McKay Jackson, b. 9 May 1805 at Virginia, d. 21 June 1899 at Ray County, Missouri
Marriage Date: 16 September 1823 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Robert G. Hudgens, b.ca. 1824 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Spouse: Molly Sacrey
Marriage Date: 5 May 1861
Susannah Hudgens, b. 8 April 1803 at Kentucky, d. 17 December 1875 at Ray County, Missouri
Spouse: John Anderson Jackson
Marriage Date: 27 November 1822 at Lincoln County, Kentucky
Anna P. Hudgens, b.ca. 1805 at Kentucky
Spouse: William H. Tombs
Marriage Date: 13 January 1825/31 January 1825
Cyrene "Serena" Hudgens, b. 12 January 1812 at Kentucky, d. 19 October 1865 at Ray County, Missouri
Spouse: Jonathan Hubbard Snowden
Marriage Date: 7 October 1830 at Ray County, Missouri
Joseph Hudgens
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Family composition supplied by Anna Seaton. Anna supplied Green County, Kentucky court cases that greatly helped in documenting the Robert Hudgens family.
Ambrose Hudgens, b.ca. 1743-46 at Virginia
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Ambrose is a complete mystery. Could he be the Ambrose Hudgens in South Carolina? There is no record of Ambrose Hudgens selling his land in Cumberland County. In 1751, an Ambrose Hudgens did sell land to Robert Lowery but he is more likely Robert's brother than son.
Delilah Hudgens
Spouse: William Gibson
Marriage Date:
William Gibson may have married second Jane Snoddy, b. 9 March 1744, d. 1816.
Mary Gibson
Spouse: Joseph Childress
Marriage Date:
William Gibson
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Asa Gibson
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Edward Gibson
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Thomas Gibson
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Betsy Gibson
Spouse: William Reese
Marriage Date:
Rebecca Gibson
Spouse: Allen Taylor
Marriage Date:
Rebekah Hudgens
Spouse: Col. Joseph Fuqua
Marriage Date:
Robert Hudgins: Deed Book 1, Amelia County, Virginia, pg. 223. William Evans, Blacksmith, of Caroline County, Virginia to Robert Hudgins, Planter. Dated 21 March 1739. Consideration 15 pounds. Wit: Henry Anderson, Samuel Scott, and Jesse Scott. 300 acres, being whole tract patent by said William Evans on 13 October 1736, bounded in part by William Gates' lower cor. next Pruits Creek near a small rocky branch, William Austin's line, line of William Fuqua, alias Bentley, and lines of William Hendrick and William Gates. Deed ackn by William Evans and ordered recorded at Court held 25 March 1739. From: Gibson Jefferson McConnaughey. Deed Book 1, Amelia County, Virginia Deeds 1735-1743 Bonds 1735-1741. Amelia: Mid-South Publishing Co., 1981
William Fuqua mentioned in the deed is Joseph Fuqua's father. Notice also, William Hendrick is mentioned in the deed. Robert Hudgens would marry William Hendrick's widow, Martha Parker.

Joseph Fuqua, Jr., b.ca. 1771, d.ca. 1820
He had no issue.
Gabriel Fuqua, b.ca. 1774, d.ca. 1823 at Davidson County, Tennessee
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Robert Fuqua, b.bef. 1775
Spouse: Gracy Terry Davenport, b. 23 October 1788 at Buckingham County, Virginia
Marriage Date:
Martha Ann Fuqua
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Robert Fuqua
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
William Fuqua
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Stephen Fuqua
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Family Group record taken from FamilySearch.
William Fuqua, b.ca. 1776, d.ca. 1857 at Robertson County, Tennessee
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Martha "Patsy" Fuqua
Spouse: Philip Thomas
Marriage Date:
James Henry Fuqua, b.ca. 1786, d.ca. 1837 at Trigg County, Kentucky
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Hannah Hudgens, b.ca. 1750 at Cumberland County, Virginia, d.ca. 1780
Spouse: Boaz Ford, b. 2 June 1749, d.ca. 1810
Marriage Date:
Deposition of Nathan Ayers 24 November 1821 at Buckingham County, Virginia, tavern of Hezekiah Lipscomb at Buckingham Courthouse.
"I knew John Hudgens who was the reputed father of Salley Cummonger, a natural born child who married William Vest is now dead. John Hudgens went from this county to Kentucky where I heard he married and had a child, John, and then died. John Hudgens had the following brothers and sisters: Holloway Hudgens, Rebecca Fuqua who married Joseph Fuqua, Hannah who married Boaz Ford, Delila who married William Gibson and Moses Hudgens. Ford and wife are both dead and have the following decendents: The children of their son Luke, Patsy, the daughter of Boaz Ford and wife, Ambrose the son married a Mauppen, Samuel, William, Ballard, and Boaz Ford and Maria who married John Ayers. The said Delila who married William Gibson is dead and also her husband and have left the following descendants: Mary who married Joseph Childress, Betsey who married William Reese, William Gibson, the plaintiff, Thomas Gibson, Asa Gibson and Rebecca who married Allen Taylor. I know Daniel Hudgens and I do not think he is a brother of John Hudgens who went to Kentucky. He was the son of Moses Hudgens, the brother of John Hudgens.
Statement of William Gibson, Amherst County, Virginia (Stated before Charles Munday, Justice of the Peace in Amherst Co., Virginia on April 11, 1820:
William Gibson states that the allegations are not true. The several deeds were signed by several persons therein. Those persons were legally entitled to the land in contest as heirs of claimants under John Hudgens, Senior and John Hudgens, Junior (both at this time deceased). He knows of no other will. He denies that Boaz Ford or any other executor had any power to make any contract in relation to the sale of the land in contest. He believes Boaz Ford never did exercise or attempt to exercise that power. He doesn't believe Ford gave Carson any assurance whatever that Carson should have land. He believes that Boaz Ford is dead (as well as James and Moses Hudgens, but how long he doesn't recollect). Boaz Ford had a son who lived in Green COunty and the son is dead. He knows nothing of the heirs of Boaz Ford now living in Green County. If there be 7 heirs, then defendant can show them. He further states that James Hudgens was alive on the 16th day of July 1810 and made a deed and he knows nothing of his death since. The tract is small and not conveniently divisible.

Boaz Ford's residence was located where Buckingham Baptist Church now stands. Boaz Ford was the son of James Faure, Sr. and Anne Bondurant. Boaz Ford's birth is recorded in the King William Parish Register, Virginia

Robert Hudgens grantor to John Hudgens, five shillings, 110 acres, adj. Alexander Trent, Horn Quarter Run, Witness: Moses Hudgens, Holloway Hudgens, Boaz Ford, Kiddyan Hudgens, 3 August 1772, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 5, pp. 143.

Robert Hudgens: grantor, to Holloway Hudgens, five shillings, 115 ac. "Being part of the said plantation whereon I (Robert) now live," Horn Quarter Run, adj. Morris Langhorne and Alexander Trent, Wit: Moses Hudgens, John Hudgens, Kiddyan Hudgens, Boaz Ford, 3 August 1772, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 5, pp. 142

John Hudgens: of Powhatan County, Virginia, and Boaz Ford of Buckingham County, grantor, 110 ac., adjoining lands of Holloway Hudgens, 25 March 1799, Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Book 8, pp. 240-241, 380. (This is a curious record. Who is this John Hudgens?)

Ballard Ford
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Samuel Ford, b. 30 October 1790, d. 2 April 1846
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Luke Ford
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Martha "Patsy" Ford
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Ambrose Ford, d.ca. 1814 at Buckingham County, Virginia
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Ambrose Ford died at the home of Nathan Ayres on Hatchers Creek, 10 miles east of Buckingham Court House. In 1801, John M. and Mary Hudgens sold 110a on Horn Quarter Creek to Ambrose Ford.
Ambrose Ford, buried at the Hanes Family Cemetery at "Humanity Hall", Buckingham County, Virginia
Spouse: Elizabeth Hales Holman, b. 7 August 1814, d. 16 October 1841, buried at the Hanes Family Cemetery at "Humanity Hall", Buckingham County, Virginia.
Marriage Date:
Betsy Ford
Spouse: William Maupin
Marriage Date:
William Ford
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Boaz Ford
Spouse:
Marriage Date:
Marie Ford, b. 23 May 1797 at Buckingham County, Virginia, d.ca. 1846
Spouse: John Ayers
Marriage Date:
James Hudgens, b.ca. 1750 at Cumberland County, Virginia
| Deed 1794 |
This James Hudgens moved to Robertson County, Tennessee. He is not the James Hudgens who died ca. October 1823 at Cumberland County, Virginia.
I know a number of researchers show him as the son of John Hudgens and Martha Holloway. By the Deed dated 1794, I believe proves that he is actually the son of Robert Hudgens and Martha Parker. The name Holloway comes from his brother. Now, it is possible that Robert Hudgens could be the son of John Hudgens but this would mean John Hudgens was born later than 1720, more like ca. 1680. While possible, it is highly unlikely that John was born during that time period. Other than the will of John Holloway which mentions his daughter Martha Hudgens and his grandaughter Mary, not is much known of the age or birth date of John Hudgens. It was thought he died young.

Robert Hudgens grantor to James Hudgens, five shillings, 175 acres, adj. Horn Quarter Creek, Witness: Moses Hudgens, Maurice Langhorne, Joseph Caldland, 27 February 1771, Cumberland County, Virginia Deed Book 4, pp. 457

On 3 November 1794, James Hudgens sold the 175 acres to Notley Maddox. Phiba Hudgens was examined and released her dower rights. This is the only document that I have found naming Robert Hudgens son James' wife name. This deed also contains the names Gabriel Hudgins and Holloway Hudgins as witnesses. The land was located on Horn Quarter Creek and Run and it is the same land Robert sold to James for five shillings

James Hudgens: 1787 to 1809, 1814. From Cumberland County in 1787. Bought: 1795 - 73 and 1/2 AC from Randolphs. Sold: 1810 - he and Gabriel Hudgens sold 94 and 1/2 AC to William Adcock Jr., 1814 - 37 AC to Joshuay Smith. From: Roger G. Ward. Buckingham County, Virginia Records Land Tax Summaries and implied Deeds 1782-1814. V.1, Athens: Iberian Publishing Co., 1993, pgs. 161-162.

James Hudgens, Jr.: 1800 to 1809. Bought: 50 AC from John Carner. From: Roger G. Ward. Buckingham County, Virginia Records Land Tax Summaries and implied Deeds 1782-1814. V.1, Athens: Iberian Publishing Co., 1993, pgs. 161-162.

James Hudgens, Sr. moved to Tennessee sometime after 1800.
Spouse 1: Phiba/Phila ____
Proved by Cumberland County, Virginia Deed Book 7, pg. 365.
Marriage Date:

James Hudgens, Jr., b.ca. 1773 at Cumberland County, Virginia, d.ca. 1858 at Cheatham County, Tennessee
Spouse: Elizabeth Gibson, d.ca. 1855 at Tennessee
Marriage Date:

William Lewis Hudgens, b. 30 January 1797 at Cumberland County, Virginia, d.ca. 1865 at Williamson County, Illinois
Spouse: Annie L. Durham, b.ca. 1801 at Surry County, North Carolina, d.aft. 1880 at Williamson County, Illinois
Marriage Date:
John Thomas Hudgens, b. 8 June 1804 at Cumberland County, Virginia, d. 29 December 1878 at Williamson County, Illinois
Spouse 1: Nancy Ann Durham, b.ca. 1809 at Surry County, North Carolina, d.ca. 1842 at Robertson County, Tennessee
Marriage Date:
Spouse 2: Delilah Farmer, b.ca. 1820 at Tennessee, d. at Williamson County, Illinois
Marriage Date: ca. 1846
James Hudgens, III, b.ca. 1805 at Cumberland County, Virginia, d.ca. 1881 at Cheatham County, Tennessee
Spouse: Mary Minerva Oliver
Marriage Date: 23 November 1837 at Johnson County, Illinois
Daniel Hudgens, b. 12 July 1807 at Cumberland County, Virginia, d.ca. 1881 at Cheatham County, Tennessee
Spouse: Nancy Delaney Durham, b. 6 December 1822 at Tennessee, d.ca. 1900 at Cheatham County, Tennessee
Marriage Date: 23 December 1841 at Robertson County, Tennessee
IN the 1880 census, Daniel and Nancy

Posted: 24 Aug 2004 5:03AM GMT
Yes this is the same family. I have the excellent information from Ran Raider's web site and have read several of the Green Co., KY court pleadings he refers to. My information indicates Daniel (son of Moses Hudgens of Buckingham Co., VA, later of Wayne Co., KY) had at least 7 children, possibly by two wives (Anne Hudgeons and Dolly McNelly Hudgens). I believe my ancestor, John Hudgens, was son of Daniel.

Ford is a name long associated with the Hudgens family of VA, KY and MO. Martha A. Hudgens, 6th of 10 children of John & Talitha Turpin Hudgens, married Ambrose W. Ford, son of James Ford and wife, Patsy.

Do you have anything for a James Ford born abt. 1787 (per 1860 Andrew Co., MO census where James Ford, age 73, living in house of Ambrose W. & Martha A. Ford). I suspect this James ties back to Boaz Ford and Hannah Hudgens Ford, as Ambrose is a name seen in this line but cannot prove where he fits.

Posted: 2 Apr 2010 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Ballard, Daniel, Moses,Hudgens
This family is related to me, I would love to share information. My gr grandfather was Robert Gains Hudgens b 1824 and married Mary Sacrey b Mar 1844, then Ballard Hudgens b 3 Feb 1801 who married Nancy McKay Jackson
then Daniel b abt 1770 m Dorothy NcNeally
Moses b 14 Nov 1753 - Abrose b 1728 - William b 1701 who married sarah Vaughn
I am missing dates and some names I would love to share info
Joan Graham Atkinson atkinsonjoan7@yahoo.com

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: hudgens
I am Ballard and Nancy Hudgens great great great grandson I have some information about them along with pictures of both with their daughter Sarah (Sally) and her husband Asa Brockman (my grandfather's grandparents) Belle Brockman Brown and Joseph Brown (my great grandparents). I would like to fill in some of my info before Ballard, like Daniel, Moses, Ambrose and what time frame the Hudgens came to colonial America. email at brown6848@earthlink.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions