Search for content in message boards

Fanny J. Marquis

Fanny J. Marquis

Posted: 11 Dec 2000 11:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jun 2005 11:55AM GMT
Surnames: Marquis
born 1843 in Indiana do George W.who was married in Hardy Co. Va.She had siblings John C. BarberyE, Cathrine, Isaac F.

Fanny J. Marquis d/o Geo. Wash.

Posted: 11 Dec 2000 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2005 11:56AM GMT
Here is all that I have in my files on the family.Ellen Horner sent it to me.
George Washington MARQUIS, son of William Kidd MARQUIS, Sr., was the
3rd
gr-grandfather of my late husband.
William Kidd MARQUIS, Sr.
George Washington MARQUIS (Brother of William Kidd MARQUIS, JR.)
John Crumrine MARQUIS-b. IN; d. MO
Isaac LeRoy MARQUIS-b. MO; d. MO
James Winfred MARQUIS-b. MO; d.TX, bur. MO
Eugene LeRoy MARQUIS-b. MO; d. TX 8-9-1987Subject: Fanny J. Marquis

Descendants of William Kidd Marquess

1 William Kidd Marquess 1795 - 1857
. +Polly Stingley 1794 - 1891
........ 2 James Marquis
........ 2 George Washington Marquis 1817 -
................... 3 John Crumrine Marquis
.............................. 4 Isaac LeRoy Marquis
......................................... 5 James Winfred Marquis
.................................................... 6 Eugene LeRoy Marquis - 1987
........ 2 Rebecca Marquis 1819 -
............ +Aaron Simmons
................... 3 William K, Simmons
........ 2 Charity Marquis 1821 -
............ +Lewis Mcfarland
........ 2 Mary Marquis 1826 -
........ 2 Louisa Marquis 1829 -
............ +Daniel Crumrine
........ 2 William Kidd Marquis 1832 - 1891
............ +Mary Bennett - 1875
................... 3 Enos Marquis
.............................. 4 John Keys Marquis
......................................... 5 Donald Robert Marquis
.................................................... 6 Thomas K. Marquis
......................................... 5 Mary Louise Marquis
........ *2nd Wife of William Kidd Marquis:
............ +Fannie Coats - 1897
................... 3 Charles Alva Marquis 1891 -
........ 2 John Marquis 1835 -
........ 2 Elizabeth Marquis 1838 -
............ +Noah W. Crumrine

Marquess family

Posted: 31 Dec 2000 11:09AM GMT
Edited: 18 Dec 2003 11:47AM GMT
I am seeking information on the Marquess family. My grandmother was Ida Elizabeth Marquis, daughter of George Washington Marquess who was a son of William Kidd Marquess and Mary Stingley. I have recently come on line and am a novice at geneology. I would certainly appreciate any help. Thank you. Delphine

Our Marquis/Marquess Line

Posted: 1 Jan 2001 11:13AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 5:20AM GMT
I have quite a bit about your ancestors and I am in contact with many of our Marquis "cousins." You can contact me at kdwgroves at yahoo dot com.

Marquis Stingley Grove

Mark Hale (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2001 6:23AM GMT
My books STINGLEY FAMILY TRADITIONS & GENEALOGY and RETURN TO GREENLAND contain histories of your ancestral families and their community in what is now Grant Co., WV. Please email sourcespub@netzero.net

Grove or Groves Family

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 10:29PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2001 12:55AM GMT
Hi Mark,

Found you on Family History & was wondering
if your Grove or Groves family had an Anna
Groves who was born in 1834 & married George
Fletcher when she was 16 years.At the time
George was 37.I would assume they were
married in 1840.

As far as I know they both lived in Virginia
at the time. I don't know if their ancestor's
were also from Virginia or moved there in
the early 1800's.

Could you possibly have the same relative's?
I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you,
Trudi Florian
email:TKISSANGEL@aol.com

Re: Marquess family

Posted: 24 Feb 2002 7:17PM GMT
Hi, I'm interested in my geneology also you and I are seeking for the same information because according to my records William Paulet is the 1st Marquess of Winchester and his wife
Elizabeth Capell and His son is Lord Thomas Paulet and his wife is Mary Moore and their son is george Paulet a captain on one of Queen Victoria ships to Hawaii. In between 1830 and 1880. If you have any information to share please contect
me at Kamaka123@aol.com. thanks Isabel

Posted: 24 Feb 2002 7:24PM GMT
Hi, I'm interested in my geneology also you and I are seeking for the same information because according to my records William Paulet is the 1st Marquess of Winchester and
his wife Elizabeth Capell and their son is Lord Thomas Paulet and his wife is Mary Moore and their son is George Paulet a captain on one of Queen Victoria ships to Hawaii. In between 1830 and 1880. If you have any information to share please contect
me at Kamaka123@aol.com. thanks Isabel

Posted: 24 Feb 2002 11:14PM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2002 2:31AM GMT

Ancestors of William Kidd Marquis

Generation No. 1

1. Rev. William Kidd Marquis, born January 06, 1795; died November 09, 1857 in Darke Co., OH. He was the son of 2. Sr. James Marquis and 3. Rebecca Smith. He married (1) Polly Stingley September 08, 1816 in Virginia. She was born October 18, 1794 in valley between the Alleghany and New Creek mountains, Hardy County, Virginia, and died March 29, 1891 in Darke Co., OH. She was the daughter of William Stingley and Charity Roby.

Notes for Rev. William Kidd Marquis:
German Baptist Minister. Also a farmer.
William Kidd Marquis Sr. Was a vetern of the War of 1812 enlisting when he was 18 years old at Moorefield,Hardy County,Virginia ( now West Virginia).
He served in Capt. David Van Meter's 6th Regt. Virginia Milita.
According to a letter written by a George Schell he and William served together
and William held the rank of Prvt. . They were under the direct command of
Col. Henry Coleman. He further says that they entered the service in July 1814
going to active duty in august 1814. When Captain Van Meter went home they
were transferred to a company of Artittery under the command of Lt. Thomas
Purkins, and Col. William Lindsey in which they served until being honorably
discharged at Watkins Battery on the 19th day of Febuary 1815. The letter is
dated July 24,1851.
According to a book published for the 50th annversery of Randolph County Ind.
on page 574 in an article written by Michael Robbins, at one time during his
service William was assigned by his Capt. as a spy and stationed with a mag-
nifying glass in tree to watch the movements of the British. He was spotted and
fired on knocking the tree out from under him, and he narrowly escaped being
captured.
In papers filed by Polly Marquis for a widow's pension she says that when she
first met William he was age 18, she described him as looking like the following.
Height nearly 6 ft.,black hair,Hazle or nearly black eyes,and had a fair complex-
tion.
Cause of Death: Died of Black Crysipelas
Medical Information: HAD FAIR COMPLEXTION AND HAZEL OR BLACKEYES
Military service: Bet. 1814 - 1815, War of 1812
Religion: German Baptist
Residence: Hardy County, W.Va., Ross County, Ohio, Darke County, Ohio
CONTINUING INFORMATION ABOUT WILLIAM K. MARQUESS IN PAPERS FROM THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES.
Numbers from war of 1812 WO 22393;WC 16217 Bounty Land Wt. 14147-80-50;Wt. 6571-80-55
Soldier Marquess,William K. Widow Polly Service Pvt.,Capt. Van Meter, Va.Mil
War of 1812 Act of March 9,1878 Widows' Pension No 16217
Indiana
Polly Marquess
Widow of
William K Marquess
Rank Pvt.
Company Capt. Van Meter
Regiment Va. Mil
Indianapolis Agency
Rate per month Eight dollars
Commencin March 9, 1878
Certificate dated January 29,1879
and sent to Pension Agent February 6, 1879
Vau Keureu Clerk
6571-80-55
WAR OF 1812
CLAIM OF WIDOW FOR SERVICE PENSION
Under the provision of Sections 4736 to 4740, inclusive Revised Statutes and the Act of March 9,1878.
N.B. All the blank spaces in this form must be carefully filled up in accordance with the instructions on the back heror; and from the best information possessed, or obtainable, by applicant.
State of Indiana County of Randolph
On this 30th day of April A.D. One thousand eight hundred and seventy eight Personally appeared before
me Clerk of The Randolph Circuit Court the same being a court of record within and for the County and State aforsaid (1) Polly Marquis Aged 83 years a resident of Randolph County in the State of Indiana
who being duly sworn according to law, declares that she is the widow of (2) William K Marquis deceased who was the identical (3) William K. Marquis who served under the name of (4) William K. Marquis (Marquess) as a Private in the company commanded by Captain Van Meter in the regiment of
Virginia Militia Commanded by (officer unknown to affiant) in the War of 1812 that her said husband (7) enlisted at Moorefield,Hardy county, Virginia on or about the month of August or September A.D. 1814
for the term of six months and continued in actual service in said war for the term of (8) his enlistment or the close of the war and whose services terminated, by reason of (9) his honorable discharge at close of
war on the _________day of____________A.D. 1815 She further states that the following is a full description of her said husband at the time of his enlistment,viz: (10) Age 18 years / farmer/height nearly
six feet, black hair, hazle or nearly black eyes fair complexion,he was born on the top of the "Blue Ridge
In the state of Virginia. She further states that she was married to the said William K. Marquis in the county of Hardy and in the state of Virginia on the Eight day of September A.D. 1816 by one (11) Samuel
Arnold Who was a Minister of the Gospel and that her name before her said marriage was Polly Stingley
and she further states that (13) Neither she nor her said husband had been previously married and that
she has not remarried since his death. and that her said husband (14) William K. Marquis died at Darke
County in the State of Ohio on the Ninth day of November A.D. 1857 and she further declares that the following have been the places of residence of herself and her said husband since the date of his discharge from the Army, viz: (15) 2yrs in Hardy County Va. , 8 yrs. in Ross Co. , Ohio , 4yrs in "Durley Plains" Madison county Ohio; and about 25-26 years in Darke County Ohio, to date of his death She makes this declaration for the purposr of obtaining the pension to which she may be entitled under Sections 4736 to 4740, inclusive, revised statutes and the Act of March 9,1878 and hereby appoints L D Lambert of Union City, Indiana her true and lawful attorney to prosecute her claim
And she further declares that she has heretofore made no application for (16) any allowances whatever from the U.S. Goverment on account of said service,but that her said husband during his llifetime received bounty land and that her residence is alternatily with her children in Darke County Ohio and Randolph County Indiana .
Two attesting witnesses who can write their names
C.W. Paris
W A. Thompson Polly (X) her mark Marquis
Also personally appeared William Parent aged 73 years residing at no_________street near Union City and William F. Fowler aged 54 years residing at no_________in Union City persons whom I cerify to be
respectable and entited to credit and who being by me duly sworn say that they have know the said
Polly Marquis for 40 years and for 40 years respectively;that they were present and saw her make her mark to the foregoing declaration that they have every reason to believe from the appearance of said claimant and their acquaintance with her, that she is the identical person she represents herself to be;
and they further say that they are able to identify her as the person who was the wife of the identical (17) William K. Marquis who rendered the service alleged to the above application in the company of Captain
Van Meter in the regiment of Virginia Militia in the war of 1812 by the following handed facts and circumstances viz: (18)____________________ and that they have no interest in the prosecution of this
claim.
William Parent
Harrson T. Flowler
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 30th day of April A.D. 1878 and I hereby certify that the contents of the above declaration andc., were fully made known and explained to the applicant and witnesses before swearing and including the words_____________erased,and the words_____________added and that I have no interest diredt or indirect in the prosecution of this claim.
Joo.N. Macy Clk.
Official character of Randolph Cir. Court
THE PRECEEDING WAS AS CLOSE A DUPLICATE COPY OF THAT FORM AS POSSIBLE. SOME OF THE WRITING WAS VERY HARD TO MAKE OUT AND I DID THE BEST I COULD.
THOMAS K. MARQUIS

William K. Marquis, Sr., born January 6, 1795, of French parentage, came to Ohio from West Virginia in 1817, settling in Ross Co. He went back to Virginia to be baptized by Samuel Arnold. He probably took this long the marriage ceremony which bound him to Polly Stingley, Sept. 8, 1816, ere they had left the state the first time; secondly, because preachers of the Church of the Brethren were not then very numerous. Returning to Ross Co. he soon emigrated to Darke Co, O, settling in 1821 near Union City.
There an organization was effected and he was elected to the ministry in 1833. He died Nov. 9, 1857.
From History of the Church of the Brethren of the Southern District of Ohio 1920.
Ferne Baldwin, Manchester CollegeWilliam Kidd Marquis

Posted by: Delphine Jackson
Message: born in Va. of French extraction.Soldier in War l8l2 Early settler in Ohio. Had two children. One was George W. married three times #1?, #2Elizabeth Miller,#3 Caroline Rankin? Please contact me for the rest of the material I have. My e-mail res0327v@gte.net Delphine Jones Jackson

Land purchased in Darke Co., Ohio
Last Name First Name I Date Signed Range Twsp Sec Part Tot Acres
MARQUESS William K 1831/04/02 1 E 13 N 32 W½NE 80.0000

More About Rev. William Kidd Marquis:
Burial: Parent Cemetery

Notes for Polly Stingley:
Religion: German Baptist
Residence: HARDY County, W.Va., Ross County ,Ohio, Darke County, Ohio

"Polly Stingley, a sister to my grandmother, on my mother's side, and a daughter of William Stingley, was married Sept. 8, 1816 to Kidd Marquis. We just suppose he was a brother to James Marquis, who married Polly Cosner. At any rate, my father and mother both had an Aunt Polly Marquis, who were two different persons. When Polly Stingley married Kidd Marquis, they went to Dark County, Ohio, no! Ross County, in 1818; settling on Paint Creek, then in 1820 they moved to Union County, and in 1830 to where Dark County now stands. In 1829 she, Polly Stingley Marquis, united with the Brethren Church. Her husband was a minister in the Brethren Church for a number of years. William Kidd Marquis died in Nov. 9, 1857 and Polly died March 29, 1891.
A daughter of great aunt Polly Marquis. The Polly that married James Marquis, Mary, I think, married a Benge, but that is all we know about them."

More About William Marquis and Polly Stingley:
Marriage: September 08, 1816, Virginia

Generation No. 2

2. Sr. James Marquis, born 1765 in Frederick Co., VA1; died 1828 in Hardy Co., VA. He was the son of 4. William Kidd Marquis and 5. Sarah Taylor Sunderland. He married 3. Rebecca Smith September 06, 1787 in Frederick Co., VA.
3. Rebecca Smith

Notes for Sr. James Marquis:
In E. L. Judy's book he lists the "Federal Census of 1820" by Jelhra Neville, Assistant to Marshall of the East District of Virginia. On page 62 of his book the following is found:
Marquis, James 10 (the number of persons residing at the household)

JAMES MARQUIS(MARQUESS) WHO MARRIED
A REBECCA SMITH. THEY HAD A SON NAMED WILLIAM KIDD MARQUESS(MARQUIS)
HE MARRIED A POLLY STINGLEY. THEY HAD A SON NAMED WILLIAM KIDD MARQUIS
JR. WHO HAD A SON NAMED ENOS, WHO HAD A SON NAMED JOHN WHO HAD A SON
NAMED DONALD ROBERT MARQUIS WHO WAS MY FATHER.
TOM K. MARQUIS brotom@evansville.net

Submitter(s):
RALPH E. COLEMAN
7820 SO. VIEWPOINT DR. :
APT G101
SANDY, UTAH
USA 84094

VICTOR CASTENS
525 EAST WASHINGTON
PITTSBURG KS
USA 66762

PATRICIA (MARQUIS) MCLAUGHLIN
13660 TABEGUACHE RD
NATHROP CO
USA 81236

"History of Grant and Hardy Counties, West Virginia" by E.L. Judy, Petersburg, West Virginia, printed by Charleston Printing Company, Charleston, West Virginia, 1951.

page 321 "James Marquis---Wife Rebecca; sons Smith, William K., John G., Wilson and AJames, Jr.; daughters Rebecca Harris, Margaret Martin, ;;and Nancy Schell; and Smith, John G. and James M. heirs of daughter Keziah Martin---Reveccda Marquis and James Marquis- William Stingley, William W. Davis and Henry Hawk---June 10, 1828----300(entry # in Hardy or Grant Co. records)

"Mark Hale is the one who ...He did not, however, have much on our James Marquis, Jr. especially after they came West to Missouri but he had several contributors giving information on the other lines which I intend to incorporate into my Tree."--Wade P & Betty Hicks <bwhicks@worldnet.att.net>Friday, February 02, 2001 3:30 PM

GRANTEE Marquis, James. grantee.
DATE 20 September 1816.
NOTE Location: Hardy County.
NOTE Description: 26 acres on Walker's Ridge and the north fork of Patterson's Creek adjoining his own lands bought of Thomas Dent.
NOTE Source: Northern Neck Grants B, No. 2, 1812-1820, p. 246 (Reel 307).
NOTE Recorded survey available. Northern Neck Surveys No. A, 1810-1818, p. 293 (Reel 318).
NOTE Original survey exists.
NOTE Part of the index to recorded copies of land grants issued by the agents of the Fairfax Proprietary between 1690 and 1781 and by the Commonwealth between 1786 and 1874. Original and recorded surveys are also indexed when available. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia.
OTHER FORMAT Available on microfilm. Northern Neck Grants, reels 288-311.
OTHER FORMAT Available on microfilm. Northern Neck Surveys, 1-6, A-E, reels 312-320.
SUBJECT Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- West Virginia -- Hardy County.
SUBJECT Hardy County (W. Va.) -- History -- 19th century.
SUBJECT Land grants -- West Virginia -- Hardy County. aat.
SUBJECT Surveys (land) -- West Virginia -- Hardy County. aat.
ADDED ENTRY Dent, Thomas.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck grants, 1690-1874.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck surveys, 1786-1874.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck plats and certificates, 1786-1874.

More About Sr. James Marquis:
Burial: Greenland, Grant Co., Wv
Will: June 10, 1828, Hardy Co., VA

Notes for Rebecca Smith:
James MARQUIS
Sex: M

Marriage(s):
Spouse: Rebecca SMITH
Marriage: 6 Sep 1787
Frederick, Virginia

Batch number: Dates Source Call No. Type Printout Call No. Type
8622007 - 1396226

Submitter(s):
RALPH E. COLEMAN
7820 SO. VIEWPOINT DR.
APT G101
SANDY, UTAH
USA 84094

VICTOR CASTENS
525 EAST WASHINGTON
PITTSBURG KS
USA 66762

13660 TABEGUACHE RD
NATHROP CO
USA 81236

Friday, February 02, 2001 3:30 PM

More About James Marquis and Rebecca Smith:
Marriage: September 06, 1787, Frederick Co., VA

Children of James Marquis and Rebecca Smith are:
i. Nancy Marquis, born Bet. 1788 - 1790 in Frederick Co., Va; died 1873 in Grant Co., VA; married Phillip Schell January 17, 1811 in Moorefield, Hardy County, VA; born Abt. 1784 in Hardy Co., Va; died Abt. 1859.

Notes for Nancy Marquis:
" Mar. Nancy Marquis, 17 Jan 1811 [Hardy County, VA, marriage returns]. Nancy born ca.
1789 [listed as age 71 in 1860 Hardy County census and living with son
John]. Death date not known but Grant County, WV, court records indicate
that Daniel Schell was paid $32.24 on 22 April 1873 for "keeping pauper and
funeral expenses of Nancy Shell." Would this have been the same Nancy
Shell? Although she apparently lived with her son John in 1860, by 1870 he
had moved to Ohio along with his brother James. By 1873 it would appear
that several of her children were dead [Rebecca, Margaret, Nancy, and
Daniel]. Daughter Catharine lived outside the Grant County area as did
sons George, James, and John. This possibly explains why her nephew Daniel
cared for her." Gary Tucker

Submitter(s):
RALPH E. COLEMAN Microfilm: NONE
7820 SO. VIEWPOINT DR. Submission:
APT G101
SANDY, UTAH
USA 84094

GEORGE W. SHELL Microfilm: NONE
1498 EAST PIONEER RD Submission:
DRAPER UTAH
USA 84020-9637

PAUL WONLESS CALLAWAY Microfilm: NONE
354 SOUTH 400 EAST Submission:
PAYSON UT
USA 84651

PATRICIA (MARQUIS) MCLAUGHLIN Microfilm: NONE
13660 TABEGUACHE RD Submission:
NATHROP CO
USA 81236

Hardy County Marriages
NAME SPOUSE DATE REPORTED BY
Marquis, Nancy Schell, Phillip 1/ 17/1811 John Johnson

Notes for Phillip Schell:
PHILIP SHELL
Born ca.; exact death date unknown but probably in early 1859. His
estate was appraised on 16 May 1859 [Hardy County probate records]. Both
Philip and his wife are listed in the Hardy County, VA, 1850 census; only
his wife is listed in the 1860 census. Burial place not known. Mar. Nancy
Marquis, 17 Jan 1811 [Hardy County, VA, marriage returns]. Nancy born ca.
1789 [listed as age 71 in 1860 Hardy County census and living with son
John]. Death date not known but Grant County, WV, court records indicate
that Daniel Schell was paid $32.24 on 22 April 1873 for "keeping pauper and
funeral expenses of Nancy Shell." Would this have been the same Nancy
Shell? Although she apparently lived with her son John in 1860, by 1870 he
had moved to Ohio along with his brother James. By 1873 it would appear
that several of her children were dead [Rebecca, Margaret, Nancy, and
Daniel]. Daughter Catharine lived outside the Grant County area as did
sons George, James, and John. This possibly explains why her nephew Daniel
cared for her.
Several of the children of the Philip Shell family were born in Ohio, but
it is not known how early the family was in Ohio nor exactly where they
were located. Two of the children are found in Athens County, Ohio, at the
1870 census, although the birthplace of John Jr. is recorded as Fayette
County, Ohio. When Philip and Nancy returned to Virginia is not known but
they are recorded in Hardy County, Virginia in the 1850 census. Nine
children.1784 Place: , Hardy Cty, Virginia
Died: Bef Mar 1859 Place: , , Virginia

Children
1. M Mr. SHELL (AFN:Q6TG-36) Born: Abt. 1812 Place: <, Hardy, West Virginia>
2. F Rebecca SCHELL (AFN:1HZ4-H7M) Born: Abt 1816 Place: Hardy, , Virginia Died: Bef 1870
3. F Margaret SCHELL (AFN:1HZ4-H92) Born: Abt 1820 Place: Hardy, , Virginia Died: 22 Jul 1854 Place: Hardy, , Virginia
4.M George William SHELL (AFN:1HZ4-HG3) Born: Abt 1820 Place: Hardy, , Virginia
Died: 1 Sep 1901 Place: Farmer City, Dewitt, Illinois Buried: Farmer City, Dewitt, Illinois
5. M James SCHELL (AFN:1HZ4-HB8) Born: Abt 1822 Place: Hardy, , Virginia
6. M Phillip Nathanial SHELL (AFN:Q6TG-4C) Born: 21 Feb 1826 Place: , , Virginia Died: 20 Mar 1900 Place: , Brown, Ohio
7. F Catherine SCHELL (AFN:1HZ4-HFV) Born: Abt 1827 Place: Hardy, , Virginia
8. M John C. SHELL (AFN:Q6TG-5J) Born: Abt 1828 Place: , Hardy, Virginia
9. F Nancy W. SCHELL (AFN:1HZ4-816) Born: 21 Nov 1830 Place: , Hardy, Virginia
10. F Nancy M. SHELL (AFN:Q6TG-6P) Born: Abt 1831 Place: , , Virginia
11. M Daniel C. M. SHELL (AFN:Q6V2-19) Born: Abt 1833 Place: , Hardy, Virginia Died: 17 Sep 1862 Place: Antietam, Ad Buried: Place: Antietam, Ad
12. M Gilead SCHELL (AFN:1HZ4-82D) Born: Abt 1835 Place: <, Frederick Co., Va>

© 1999-2000 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. English approval: 3/1999
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use (last updated: 3/22/1999).
Privacy Policy (last updated: 3/22/1999). http://www.familysearch.org 16

RALPH E. COLEMAN Microfilm: NONE
7820 SO. VIEWPOINT DR. Submission:
APT G101
SANDY, UTAH
USA 84094

THOMAS L PHALIN Microfilm: NONE
324 CLAIRE LANE Submission:
CARY IL
USA 60013

PAUL WONLESS CALLAWAY Microfilm: NONE
354 SOUTH 400 EAST Submission:
PAYSON UT
USA 84651

GRANTEE Shell, Philip. grantee.
DATE 30 June 1840.
NOTE Description: 160 acres on top of Little Mountain joining the George Shell place.
NOTE Source: Northern Neck Grants E, No. 2, 1838-1846, p. 114 (Reel 310).
NOTE Recorded survey available. Northern Neck Surveys No. D, 1833-1841, p. 356 (Reel 319).
NOTE Part of the index to recorded copies of land grants issued by the agents of the Fairfax Proprietary between 1690 and 1781 and by the Commonwealth between 1786 and 1874. Original and recorded surveys are also indexed when available. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia.
OTHER FORMAT Available on microfilm. Northern Neck Surveys, 1-6, A-E, reels 312-320.
SUBJECT Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- West Virginia -- Hardy County.
ADDED ENTRY Shell, George.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck plats and certificates, 1786-1874.

Marriage Notes for Nancy Marquis and Phillip Schell:
NAME SPOUSE DATE REPORTED BY
Schell, Phillip Marquis, Nancy 1/ 17/1811 John Johnson

More About Phillip Schell and Nancy Marquis:
Marriage: January 17, 1811, Moorefield, Hardy County, VA

ii. Smith Stingley Marquis, born November 04, 1792 in Frederick Co., Va; died October 16, 1877 in Tippecanoe Co In; married Eve Stingley March 15, 1816 in Hardy Co, VA; born 1796; died 1877.

Notes for Smith Stingley Marquis:
Hardy County marriges
Marquis, Smith Stingley, Eve 3/ 15/1816 John Johnson

1830 Darke Co., Ohio Census.

PG# LN# LAST NAME FIRST NAME FILE NAME

4 21 Marquess Smith pg0002.txt

More About Smith Marquis and Eve Stingley:
Marriage: March 15, 1816, Hardy Co, VA

1 iii. Rev. William Kidd Marquis, born January 06, 1795; died November 09, 1857 in Darke Co., OH; married Polly Stingley September 08, 1816 in Virginia.
iv. Keziah Marquis, born 1797 in Frederick Co., Va; died 1827 in Hardy Co, WV; married John Martin February 07, 1818.

Notes for Keziah Marquis:
Marquis, Keziah Martin, John 2/ 7/1818 John Johnson

More About John Martin and Keziah Marquis:
Marriage: February 07, 1818

v. Margaret Marquis, born Abt. 1799; married James Martin September 14, 1820 in Hardy Co., VA.

More About James Martin and Margaret Marquis:
Marriage: September 14, 1820, Hardy Co., VA

vi. John Gardner Marquis2,3, born Abt. 1801; married Elizabeth Smith December 14, 1826 in Hardy Co., VA; born Abt. 1805.

Notes for John Gardner Marquis:
" George W. Shell, age 30, along with his three children, is apparently living as a
widower in the home of John G. and Elizabeth Marquis in the 1850 census.
His three children in the 1850 census are: Alfred, age 5; Arbela, age 3;
and Lemuel, age l. It is assumed that the three were children of Mary
Elizabeth (Tucker) Schell. John G. Marquis was a brother of George's
mother, Nancy (Marquis) Shell." Gary Tucker

More About John Marquis and Elizabeth Smith:
Marriage: December 14, 1826, Hardy Co., VA

vii. Rebecca Marquis, born Abt. 1802; married William Harris April 21, 1825.

More About William Harris and Rebecca Marquis:
Marriage: April 21, 1825

viii. Wilson H. Marquis, born Abt. 1803; married Catherine Barnaby January 31, 1831 in Jackson Co, IN.

More About Wilson Marquis and Catherine Barnaby:
Marriage: January 31, 1831, Jackson Co, IN

ix. MD James Marquess, born October 29, 1808 in Hardy Co., VA; died March 31, 1881 in Eldorado Springs, Cedar County, MO; married Mary Polly Cosner 1828; born July 22, 1811 in Hardy, Va; died 1892 in Cedar Co., MO.

Notes for MD James Marquess:
1830 Darke Co. OH Census

PG# LN# LAST NAME FIRST NAME FILE NAME
9 8 Marquess James pg0002.txt

Darke co. Oh.
Last Name First Name I Date Signed Range Twsp Sec Part Tot Acres
MARQUESS James 1830/09/02 1 E 13 N 32 E½NE 80.0000

THIS INFORMATION CONFLICTS WITH OTHE SOURCES
Joyce Wisecarver <jwiseca476@aol.com>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

ID: I023
Name: James MARQUESS , Jr, MD
Birth: 29 OCT 1808 in Westmoreland Co, VA
Death: 31 MAR 1881 in Lebeck Cemetery, Eldorado Springs, Cedar Co, MO
Reference Number: 23

Father: James MARQUESS b: 1765 in Frederick Co, VA
Mother: Rebecca SMITH b: 1770 in MD

Marriage 1 Mary Polly COSNER b: 22 JUL 1810 in Hardy, VA
Married: 1828 in VA or OH
Children
Adonijah Cosner MARQUIS , M.D. b: 7 SEP 1832 in Darke Co, OH
Rachael L. MARQUIS b: 14 JUL 1848 in West Liberty, IN
Merida (Ida) MARQUIS b: 6 OCT 1855 in Jay Co, IN
Lydia A. MARQUIS b: 27 SEP 1834
Eve MARQUIS b: 29 NOV 1839
James G.B. ( Birney) MARQUIS b: 14 JAN 1845
Emeline O. MARQUIS b: 7 SEP 1841
Jacob C. MARQUIS b: 26 JUN 1831
Barbary E. MARQUIS b: 10 JAN 1837
Mahala A. MARQUIS b: 17 DEC 1843
Abdigal MARQUIS b: DEC 1845

More About MD James Marquess:
Burial: Lebeck Cem, El Dorado Springs, Cedar Co., MO

Notes for Mary Polly Cosner:

"-One of my grandmother's (this is my father's mother) sisters, Polly, married a James Marquis. Grandmother said they were afraid to oppose this marriage too strong for fear that they would elope, as, this is wrong, I should say that they didn't oppose Anna's marriage too strong, for fear that she would elope as Polly had done. The man Aunt Polly married was James Marquis. Papa never corresponded with them, but Bertha Fife thought that some of them might be located either at Schell City or Nevada, Mo. " The following information was obtained by myself in a visit to a cousin living in Union City, Indiana in the year 1947. Polly Cosner, daughter of Jacob Cosner, and sister of my grandmother, Eve Cosner Idleman, was born July 22, 1811. She was married to James Marquis and went to Indiana to live. Their children were: William, Rebecca, Nige, Charles, Rachael, Ida, Minnie, Dora, and James Gillespa, Bernie. Rebecca, Polly's daughter, married Aaron Simmons. They had a son called William Kidd. He was born 1841. His brothers and sisters were: John, Andrew, Mary, Jane. Mary married a Hart. Jane married a Mumah.

Ollie Idelman

More About James Marquess and Mary Cosner:
Marriage: 1828

Generation No. 3

4. William Kidd Marquis4, born 1740 in Calvert Co., MD; died April 05, 1788. He was the son of 8. John Marquis and 9. Margaret Kidd. He married 5. Sarah Taylor Sunderland August 07, 1764 in Calvert Co., MD.
5. Sarah Taylor Sunderland, born 1741 in Frederick Co., VA; died 1828. She was the daughter of 10. Isaac Taylor.

Notes for William Kidd Marquis:
Submitter(s):
GEORGE W. SHELL
1498 EAST PIONEER RD
DRAPER UTAH
USA 84020-9637
13660 TABEGUACHE RD
NATHROP CO
USA 81236

Notes for Sarah Taylor Sunderland:
Pat McLaughlin Date: January 21, 2000 at 19:45:48

Does anyone know why the will of Sarah (Sunderland)Taylor Marquis (mother of Fanny Marquis Groves)was written in German? Her will is dated 1810 and was probated in 1820. It mentions her son-in-law Solomon Groves.

I have a copy of this will in German and translated into English. George W. Shell had it translated into English. Solomon was mentioned as Solomon Groff. Darrell Wiley Groves

In E. L. Judy's book History of Hardy and Grant Counties, West Virginia, Page 317 Sarah Marquis--Apparently in Foreign Language and not readable--62"

Sarah believed to have been married to John Sunderland before marrying Wm. due to the following information:

Posted by: Terry Ervin <multitk@indy.net>
Date: May 16, 1998 at 18:09:36
of 19871(posting Taylor Forum on Genforum)

TAYLOR Sarah b. c1742 m. Wm. Kidd MARQUIS. Family was in Frederick cty VA. Sarah believed to have been married to John Sunderland before marrying Wm. Father believed to be Isaac Marquis(Taylor? Darrell Groves). Any help in extending this line greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Terry

Re: John Sunderland (h/o ?) Sarah Taylor 1760's
Posted by: Joseph Sunderland <sun_land@prodigy.net>
Date: November 10, 2001 at 21:35:13
In Reply to: John Sunderland (h/o ?) Sarah Taylor 1760's by Darrell Groves of 459 (posting Sunderland Forum on Genforum)

I have that John Sunderland was born 6 Dec 1720 and he died in 1762. He and Sarah Taylor were married about 1758 and had three children I believe. All were under 4 years old when their father died. I imagine these children were raised by Sarah and her husband William Marquis.

More About William Marquis and Sarah Sunderland:
Marriage: August 07, 1764, Calvert Co., MD

Children of William Marquis and Sarah Sunderland are:
i. Keziah Marquis, born 1764 in Frederick Co., Va; married Electus Hayes.
2 ii. Sr. James Marquis, born 1765 in Frederick Co., VA; died 1828 in Hardy Co., VA; married Rebecca Smith September 06, 1787 in Frederick Co., VA.
iii. William Kidd Marquis, born Bet. 1765 - 1770 in Frederick Co., Va; died in Delphi?, In; married Jane Trussel; born Abt. 1781 in Loudoun Co., Va; died in Dayton, Oh.

Notes for William Kidd Marquis:
MARQUIS, William Kidd (1794-1857) m Mary "Polly" STINGLEY (1794-1891
MARQUIS, George W. (1817-1905) m Sarah "Sallie" CRUMRINE (1822-1848
MARQUIS, John C. (1840-1914) m Clarissa McWILLIAMS (1842-1902
Darke County Ohio Genealogical Researchers Home Page
Family Group Record FamilySearchâ„¢ Ancestral File v4.19

Frederick County, Virginia Marriage Bonds" by Joan D. Hackett, B.A., M.S. , M.L.S. and Rebecca H. Good, C.G. "16 Apr 1804 Henry borders & Delilah Awbrey, daughter of Samuel Awbrey. Bondsman, Kidd Marquess."

Notes for Jane Trussel:
Posted by: Terry Ervin Date: May 16, 1998 at 18:32:10
of 693

Jane TRUSSELL b. c1781 Loudoun cty VA m. Wm. Kidd Marquis. Any
help locating Jane's family greatly appreciated.

Followups:

Re: Jane TRUSSELL m. Wm. Kidd Marquis pat trussell 4/21/99 (0)

iv. Issac Taylor Marquis, born April 04, 1772 in Frederick Co., Va; died 1861; married Elizabeth Beavers February 15, 1795 in Frederick Co., VA; born 1774 in Frederick Co., Va; died 1857 in Taylor Co., WV.

Notes for Issac Taylor Marquis:
I did find at quick glance an error as to the children of Isaac Taylor
and Elizabeth Beavers, they are as follows:
5. ISAAC T.(TAYLOR) MARQUESS (b. 25 Apr 1772)
m. 16 Feb 1795 to Elizabeth 'Betsy' Beavers (Seavers?) inFrederick Co. VA
d. 29 Aug 1861 in Taylor Co. WV [see Issac Taylor Marquess
Genealogy by H.D. Marquess for family details - may be in the library
of the Morman collection]
John Marquess (b. 24 Apr 1797) m. Nancy Evans
William Marquess (b. 1798 in Louisa Co. VA) m. Ann Watts
Samuel Marquess (b. 1 Jul 1800) m. Hulda Criss
Sarah Eliz. Marquess (b. 30 Sep 1803) m. William Bradley and m. Melker Baker Shroyer
Craven Marquess (b. 1 Aug 1805) m. Sarah Evans
Rebecca Marquess (b. ca. 1808) m. Melker Baker
Elizabeth Marquess (b. 18 Dec 1810) m. 1 Jan 1831 Calder Haymond in Monongalia Co. VA
Mary Marquess (b. 7 Feb 1813) m. 17 Oct 1835 to John Haymond in Monongalia Co. VA
Capt. James Marquess (b. 6 Nov 1818) m. Anastacia Baker and m. Amanda Fox
That's all I have at present. When I get more time I'll scrutinize your
list further. Pat McLaughlin

One source had b. April 12, 1772, Loudin (Clark) Co VA d. Logan Co., OH

Frederick County, Virginia Marriage Bonds" by Joan D. Hackett, B.A., M.S. , M.L.S. and Rebecca H. Good, C.G. "9 May 1798 Soloman Groves & Fanny Marquess. Bondsman, Isaac Marquess." page 19.

More About Issac Taylor Marquis:
Burial: Sandy Creek Cem., Taylor Co., WV

More About Elizabeth Beavers:
Burial: Sandy Creek Cem., Taylor Co., WV

More About Issac Marquis and Elizabeth Beavers:
Marriage: February 15, 1795, Frederick Co., VA

v. Zacharia Marqis, born 1774 in Frederick Co., Va.
vi. Wilson Marquis, born 1775 in Calvert, Maryland.

Notes for Wilson Marquis:
Wilson MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NQT) Born: Abt 1774 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland>

vii. Frances "Fanny" Marquis, born Abt. 1780 in Loudin (Clark) Co VA; died Abt. 1850 in Hardy Co., VA; married Solomon H. Groves May 09, 1798 in Winchester, Frederick Co., Virginia5; born Abt. 1778; died Abt. 1823.

Notes for Frances "Fanny" Marquis:
Fanny, 70, was in home of son Alaxander in 1850, Hardy Co. VA Census, the year I have for her death.
Birth: 1780 (This birth date agrees with the 1850, Hardy Co., VA Census)
Loudoun, Virginia

1830 Virginia Census -Grover, Fanny Hardy 084

"Virginia 1840 Census Index," Ronald Vern Jackson & Gary ronald Teeples by Accelerated Indexing Systems, Inc., Bountiful, Utah. "Groves, Frances, Hardy (film #) 135

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM MARQUESS
Mother: SARAH TAYLOR

Submitter(s):
GEORGE W. SHELL Microfilm: NONE
1498 EAST PIONEER RD Submission:
DRAPER UTAH
USA 84020-9637

PATRICIA (MARQUIS) MCLAUGHLIN Microfilm: NONE
13660 TABEGUACHE RD Submission:
NATHROP CO
USA 81236

Notes for Solomon H. Groves:
Solomon was of Hardy Co, VA, 1810 & 1820. Fanny, 70, was in home of son Alexander in 1850, Hardy Co., VA Census

I found this entry for the War of 1812, I AM NOT SURE THAT THIS IS OUR SOLOMON.
SOLOMON GROVES 3 REG'T (CASS'), OHIO VOLS. AND MILITIA.

meg meg" <johanna_d44@hotmail.com> Hi Darrell, Did you ever see a posting by Jim Mason about Solomon putting up the money for Isaac to be a Justice of the Peace in Moorefield VA.? I wrote to him and do you have any information about that?? Thanks Coby

"Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants", Volume IV 1800-1862, Compiled by Gertrude E. Gray, Baltimore, Genealogical, Publishing Co., Inc. 1993. "B2-223: Sur. 18 Apr 1815 by T.W.212=23 Jan 1794 Solomon Groves 16 A. in Hardy Co. on Loonies Cr., New Cr. Mt. & Walkers Rg. adj. his own land, Martin Hawk. 20 Sep 1816 [Dl'd Mr. William Hutchinson 2 Sep 1822]" pg 74.

In E. L. Judy's book he lists the "Federal Census of 1820" by Jelhra Neville, Assistant to Marshall of the East District of Virginia. On page 61 of his book the following is found:
Groves, Solomon 8 (people in the houshold)

General Index to Deeds of Trust, Hardy County, W. V. ---Grantees (marked 13)
Grantees-Groves, Solomon Grantor Peter Eyman & wf--Book 6 ---Page 110--- date of Inst. 1808-- Description and Location---114A Patterson Crk

2nd posting for Solomon Grantors Samuel Roby & wf---Book 9--Page 25- Date 1821- Des.-- 14A N Fork Pattersons Crk.

Land Office Patents & Grants/Northern Neck Grants & Surveys : CATALOG CARD

MULTIMEDIA Grant Survey

GRANTEE Groves, Solomon. grantee.
DATE 20 September 1816.
NOTE Description: 16 acres on a drain of Loonies Creek, New Creek Mountain, and Walkers Ridge adjoining his own land and the lands of Martin Hawk.
NOTE Source: Northern Neck Grants B, No. 2, 1812-1820, p. 223-224 (Reel 307).
NOTE Recorded survey available. Northern Neck Surveys No. A, 1810-1818, p. 286-287 (Reel 318).
ADDED ENTRY Hawk, Martin.
ADDED ENTRY Library of Virginia. Archives.

More About Solomon H. Groves:
Survey: April 18, 1815, 16 A. in Hardy Co. on Loonies Cr.

Marriage Notes for Frances Marquis and Solomon Groves:
Fanny MARQUESS
Sex: F
Marriage(s):
Spouse: Soloman GROVES
Marriage: 9 May 1798
Frederick, Virginia
Source Information:
Film Number: 1985228
Birth: 1780
Loudoun, Virginia
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM MARQUESS
Mother: SARAH TAYLOR
Source Information:
Film Number: 1903712

© 1999-2000 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. English approval: 3/1999
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use (last updated: 3/22/1999).
Privacy Policy (last updated: 3/22/1999). http://www.familysearch.org 17

"Virginia Historic Marriage Register" Frederic County Marriages 1738-1850 by John Vogt &T. William Kethley, Jr., Iberian Press, Athens, Georgia 1984. Pg. 122. Groves ... Solomon & Fanny Marquiss 10 May 1798; min- Christian Streit"

"Frederick County, Virginia" Settlement and Some First Families of Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830; Wilmr L. Kerns, Ph.D.:

Page 555 - "Streit Family of Green Spring - The Streit surname was well-know in Frederick county during the 18th and 19th centuries. Persons who have conducted genealogical research in the county marriage records have no doubt encountered the name of the Reverend Christian Streit (1748-1812). Streit, who pastored the Lutheran Church in Winchester and preached across the rural landscape, was known as the first Lutheran pastor who was born on American soil. also, Streit's journal has been preserved by the archives Division of Handley Library in Winchester. There is no record of Rev. Streit preaching at the Old Stone Church at Green Spring. the Warm springs that was cited in his journal is located in Berkeley Springs, Morgan County, West virginia."

"Another Streit family appeared during the early 1800s in the green spring and White Hall section of Frederick County. These people were Methodists, but were later affiliated with the United brethren in Christ, which is now merged into the United Methodist Church. Charles Streit (1782-1825) was a son of William Streit of Bedford County, Pennsylvania. It is believed, but not proven, that Charles Streit and the Rev. Christian Streit belonged to the same family root, going back to earlier generations in New York or New Jersey."

There follows further information Charles and Catherine (Fries) Streit and their children.

Posted by: Sally Coates Date: December 05, 2000 at 20:16:02
In Reply to: Minister Christian Streit 1790's by Darrell Wiley Groves of 343

Christian Streit(1749-1812) was among the half-dozen native born Lutheran ministers in America. He ministered to residents of the Shenandoah Valley from 1785-1812. He is buried in the old Lutheran Church cemetery in Winchester, VA. A portion of his diary covering July 19, 1785, to Nov. 28, 1788, has been published in This Heritage, by William E. Eisenberg. For more information regarding his records, you might contact the Archivist, c/o Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, 26 W. Boscawen Street, Winchester, VA 22601. Good luck!

".... Mariages 1771-1825, Compiled and Edited by Eliza Timberlake Davis, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1973. "Groves, Solomon and Fanny Marquis, May 10, 1798. C. S." p 37.

Frederick County, Virginia Marriage Bonds" by Joan D. Hackett, B.A., M.S. , M.L.S. and Rebecca H. Good, C.G. "9 May 1798 Soloman Groves & Fanny Marquess. Bondsman, Isaac Marquess." page 19.

More About Solomon Groves and Frances Marquis:
Marriage: May 09, 1798, Winchester, Frederick Co., Virginia5

Generation No. 4

8. John Marquis6, born 1705 in Ireland6; died 1750 in Calvert Co., MD6. He was the son of 16. William Marquis and 17. Ann Unknown. He married 9. Margaret Kidd 1735 in Calvert Co., Md.
9. Margaret Kidd, born 1718 in Calvert Co., MD6; died 1774 in Calvert Co., MD6. She was the daughter of 18. Jr. William Kidd and 19. Ann Gideon.

Notes for John Marquis:
John Marquess (b. 1705 d.1750) m. Margerit Kidd
File v4.19 John MARQUESS (AFN: 1HZ4-FBW) Sex: M Birth: Abt 1705, Calvert Co., Md> Death: 1750, Calvert Co., Md Spouse: Margaret KIDD (AFN: 1HZ4-FC4) Marriage: Abt 1735
Husband's Name
John MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FBW)
Born: Abt 1705 Place: <, Calvert Co., Md>
Died: 1750 Place: , Calvert Co., Md
Married: Abt 1735
Wife's Name
Margaret KIDD (AFN:1HZ4-FC4)
Born: Abt 1718 Place: <, Calvert Co., Md>
Died: 1774 Place: , Calvert Co., Md
1. M James MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NTG) Born: Abt 1735 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland> -
2. M John MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NVN) Born: Abt 1737 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland>
3. M William MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-KCS) Born: Abt 1735/1740 Place: , Calvert, Maryland
Died: 5 Apr 1778
4. M Kidd MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NWV) Born: Abt 1741 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland>
5 F Ann MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NX3) Born: Abt 1743 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland>
6. M Kidd William MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FGQ) Born: Abt 1744 Place: <, Shelby Co., Ky>
Died: 23 Oct 1813 Place: , Shelby Co., Ky
7. F Sarah MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NZ9)Born: Abt 1745 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland> -

Privacy Policy (last updated: 3/22/1999). http://www.familysearch.org 11

GRANTEE Glass, Robert. grantee.
DATE 2 November 1754.
NOTE Location: Frederick County.
NOTE Description: 544 acres lying on the north side of Opeckon adjoining Colvin, and Thos Marquis.
NOTE Source: Northern Neck Grants H, p. 529 (Reel 293).
SUBJECT Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Frederick County.
SUBJECT Frederick County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century.
SUBJECT Land grants -- Virginia -- Frederick County. aat.
SUBJECT Surveys (land) -- Virginia -- Frederick County. aat.
ADDED ENTRY Marquis, Colvin.
ADDED ENTRY Marquis, Thos.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck surveys, 1697, 1722-1781

Notes for Margaret Kidd:
Some say she was grandaughter of Captain Kidd the famous pirate.
"If we are decented through Capt William Kidd the pirate, then I would
like to be able to figure out way the all the source I have looked up
say that he was married to a Sarah Ooft, I think I have the spelling
right. She only had two children and they were both girls.
Go to discovery.com somewhere on that site they have information on
Capt Kidd because they are trying to find out of his ships. This
tells his life story and of course there are many other sources. I
have not been able to find out any information on the Deare woman he
is supposed to have been married to." Thomas K Marquis

Posted by: Terry Ervin Date: April 26, 1998 at 21:53:01
of 1513

Margaret Kidd b. c1718, possibly Calvert cty, MD,
d. 2/8/1774 Calvert cty, MD. m. c1735 to
John Marquis/Marquess.

Posted by: David A. Boyles
I am a direct descendant of Margaret Kidd and
John Marquis. It is a long-standing rumor
in our family--undocumented to date--
that Margaret Kidd was Captain William
Kidd's granddaughter.

Cynthia Witting
I certainly would like to know more about your Margaret Kidd and John Marquis. How do you descend from Margaret and what locations are your line of Kidds found besides MD? I too have heard the rumor about Margaret Kidd as a granddaughter. Is everyone referring to the Capt. Wm Kidd who was executed at Newgate prison or another Captain Kidd of another location

"the children of Captain William Kidd. I only know of one wife Sarah (whom he met in New York) and two daughters both born in New York. I would like those who respond to cite sources. It seems that anyone who has ties to the surname Kidd claims the Captain as an ancestor, including my ancestors. However, I have not seen documented proof that he had sons." Billy <dumdawg@aol.com>

Margaret KIDD (AFN:1HZ4-FC4)

Born: Abt 1718 Place: <, Calvert Co., Md>
Died: 1774 Place: , Calvert Co., Md

More About John Marquis and Margaret Kidd:
Marriage: 1735, Calvert Co., Md

Children of John Marquis and Margaret Kidd are:
i. James Marquis, born 1735.
ii. John Marquis, born 1737 in Calvert, Maryland.

Notes for John Marquis:
M John MARQUESS (AFN:1WL8-NVN)

Born: Abt 1737 Place: <, Calvert, Maryland>

4 iii. William Kidd Marquis, born 1740 in Calvert Co., MD; died April 05, 1788; married (1) Sarah Schmidt; married (2) Sarah Taylor Sunderland August 07, 1764 in Calvert Co., MD.
iv. Kidd William Marquess7,8,9, born Abt. 1741; died in Delphi, Indiana; married Jane Trussell.

Notes for Kidd William Marquess:
Called "Kidd" named for his mother's father, grandfather and great-grandfather, William Kidd. I orginally had his name as William Kidd, but changed it due to information supplied me by Thomas K. Marquis.
Thomas also had another Kidd Marquis but since his birthdate, son James Marion and wife's name were the same I deleted the other Kidd Marquis and added his other two children to Kidd William Marquess. He did have two different birthdates for Elanor

Husband's Name
Kidd William MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FGQ)

Born: Abt 1744 Place: <, Shelby Co., Ky>
Died: 23 Oct 1813 Place: , Shelby Co., Ky
Married: Abt 1769 Place:

Father: John MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FBW)
Mother: Margaret KIDD (AFN:1HZ4-FC4)

Wife's Name
Eleanor MAGRUDER (AFN:1HZ4-FP6)

Born: 1745 Place: <, Frederick Co., Md>
Married: Abt 1769 Place:

Father: John MAGRUDER (AFN:1HZ4-FMR)
Mother: Jane OFFUT (AFN:1HZ4-FN0)

Children

1. Sex Name
M James MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FJ5)

Born: Abt. 1770 Place: <, Shelby Co., Ky>

2. Sex Name
M William MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FQD)

Born: 3 Sep 1771 Place: , Of Shelby, Kentucky

3. Sex Name
F Mary MARQUESS (AFN:1HZ4-FLK)

Born: 25 Jan 1773 Place: Md
Died: 8 May 1860 Place: Ky

Privacy Policy (last updated: 3/22/1999). http://www.familysearch.org 11

v. Ann Marquis, born Abt. 1743; married ... Turner.
vi. Sarah Marquis, born 1745; married ... Stevens.

10. Isaac Taylor, born 10.

Child of Isaac Taylor is:
5 i. Sarah Taylor Sunderland, born 1741 in Frederick Co., VA; died 1828; married (1) John Sunderland Abt. 1758; married (2) William Kidd Marquis August 07, 1764 in Calvert Co., MD.

Generation No. 5

16. William Marquis He married 17. Ann Unknown.
17. Ann Unknown

Notes for William Marquis:
THE JOHN WILSON - MAGILL - MADAGAN HOUSE

LOCATION: East of the Middle road (Route 628) about 1.5 miles southwest of Kernstown.

Writing in 1855 in his Sketches of Virginia - Second Series (page 20), the Rev. William Henry Foote, D.D. describing settlers on the Opequon Creek downstream from the village of Opequon, says: "David Glass took his residence a little below his father (Samuel), on the Opequon at Cherry Mead, now owned by Madison Campbell; his son (that is Samuel's son) was placed a little further down at Long Meadows, now in the possession of his grandson, Robert … Next down the creek was Joseph Colvin and family … then came JOHN WILSON AND THE MARQUIS FAMILY, with whom he was connected; the grave of his wife is marked in this yard ( the old Opequon Church Cemetery) by the oldest monumental stone in the Valley".
Continuing Dr. Foote says: "Now let us go with this stone enclosure , and among the remains of the ancient settlers, and meditate upon the past. Let us enter through the narrow gateway on the southern side, through which the congregation sleeping here entered, never to return. Let us pause a few moments at this rough, low, time-worn stone, in the very center of the graves; the first with an inscription, reared in the Valley of Virginia to mark the resting place of an emigrant -- you can scarcely read the inscription on one side or decipher the letters and figures on the other. The stone crumbled under the unskillful hands of the husband, who brought it from that eminence yonder on the west, and , in the absence of a proper artist, inscribed the letters himself, to be a memorial to his young and lovely wife. Tradition says he was the schoolmaster.
On the side on which Ireland is chiseled, the pebbles in the stone, or his unsteady hand, made large indentures, and rendered the inscription almost illegible. Here the stone has stood, a monument of affection, and marked the grave of the early departed, while the days of more than a century have passed away".
Dr. Foote was a prominent Presbyterian minister, whose wife was Eliza Glass, daughter of the Rev. Joseph Glass. Her grave is in the old Opequon Cemetery not far removed from the Wilson tombstone about which her husband wrote. He was thoroughly qualified to write of the history of the old church and of the farms on which these early Presbyterian immigrants lived.
We believe that the well-built old stone dwelling, which we are considering here, now the Madagan home, was the house of John Wilson, about whom Dr. Foote, writes.

Although we have not be able to document it, it is reasonable certain that the land on which the old house stands was granted to Wilson by Yost Hite. The Orange county records contain grants by Hite to Robert Wilson on May 5, 1740 (O.D.B. 4 - Page 14) and on February 17, 1736, to Thomas Wilson (O.D.B. 1 -Page 442), both of which grants were in the Kernstown area; and it is our belief that John Wilson acquired a part of this land.
In his will, proved April 7, 1762, John Wilson devised all of his land to JAMES MARQUIS AND WILLIAM MARQUIS. He further provided that James Marquis should dig for water and share what was found with William Marquis; that James Marquis should CHANGE HIS NAME TO WILSON MARQUIS; and that his heirs should collect from William Vance a sum due him "for last year's school keeping." (F.W.B. 3 - page 40). From this will and from the tombstone inscription in the Opequon Church Cemetery we can, we believe, ascertain the following facts or reasonable assumptions about John Wilson:

1. That he was a native of county Armagh in Northern Ireland or Ulster and that he came to Frederick County (or what was to be Frederick County) in 1737.

2. That his wife's name was really Mary Marquis and that James and William Marquis were her bothers.

3. That he never remarried after his wife's death in 1742 and that he had no children.

4. That by documentation as well as by "tradition", to use Dr. Foote's words, he was indeed the community schoolmaster.

5. That the land upon which he lived had no spring, which is also true of the present-day Madagan place.

On January 28, 1820, the heirs of WILLIAM MARQUIS conveyed to Charles Magill a tract of
200 acres on the drains of the Opequon joining Magill's other lands, which was devised to William Marquis by the last will and testament of John Wilson. (F.D.B. 44 - Page 494).

Notes for Ann Unknown:
"came earlier and was possibly a Linge or Hall."I have William and Margaret coming to America in 1720 with
two children
- Mary and Thomas. Mary married a John Wilson and died in
Frederick
County. Thomas married a Mary Colville. They had 7
children:
Elizabeth married Daniel McCauley, James married Mary
Vance; William
married Elizabeth Vance; John married Sarah Griffith;
Thomas married
Jane Park; Sarah married John Vance and Ann married John
William Park.
I'm not sure about the last one. Elizabeth and Daniel
McCauley settled
farther down the valley near Harrisonburg. There is
alleged to be a
Marcus Methodist Church in Staunton. Haven't been there
yet though.
Does any of this match what you have. The Handley Library
has a wealth
of information in the basement in the genaology section and
the Court
house does too. I think I have on my hard drive a picture
of the
Marquis/Magill house and will try to locate it an email it
to you. Gale

Child of William Marquis and Ann Unknown is:
8 i. John Marquis, born 1705 in Ireland; died 1750 in Calvert Co., MD; married Margaret Kidd 1735 in Calvert Co., Md.

18. Jr. William Kidd He was the son of 36. William Kidd and 37. Margaret Deare. He married 19. Ann Gideon.
19. Ann Gideon

Notes for Jr. William Kidd:

Child of William Kidd and Ann Gideon is:
9 i. Margaret Kidd, born 1718 in Calvert Co., MD; died 1774 in Calvert Co., MD; married John Marquis 1735 in Calvert Co., Md.

Generation No. 6

36. William Kidd11, born October 20, 1622 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England; died April 1693 in Calvert Co., MD. He was the son of 72. William Kidd and 73. Elizabeth Nethercote. He married 37. Margaret Deare.
37. Margaret Deare

Notes for William Kidd:
Rommel Entries: 9690 Updated: Thu Aug 17 19:39:01 2000 Contact: Barbara Brown <BBrown6575@aol.com>

1. Margaret Kidd was born ABT. 1718 in Maryland, and died 1774 in Calvert Co., MD. She was the daughter of 2. William Kidd and 3. Ann Gideon. She married John Marquess.

Child of Margaret Kidd and John Marquess is: i. William Kidd Marquess.

2. William Kidd was born 1675. He was the son of 4. William Kidd and 5. Margaret Deare.

3. Ann Gideon.

Child of Ann Gideon and William Kidd is:1. i. Margaret Kidd was born ABT. 1718 in Maryland, and died 1774 in Calvert Co., MD. She married John Marquess.

4. William Kidd was born 20 OCT 1622 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England, and died APR 1693 in Calvert Co., MD. He was the son of 8. William Kidd and 9. Elizabeth Nethercote.

5. Margaret Deare.

Children of Margaret Deare and William Kidd are: i. Margaret Kidd was born 1645. She married James Wilson. He died MAY 1762 in Calvert Co., MD.
ii. unknown Kidd died BEF. 1693. She married Samuel Fowler.
2. iii. William Kidd was born 1675. He married Ann Gideon.

8. William Kidd was born 6 JUL 1589 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 31 MAR 1647 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England. He was the son of 16. William (Kyd) Kidd and 17. Marion.

9. Elizabeth Nethercote was born 8 OCT 1598 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 19 NOV 1630 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. She was the daughter of 18. Thomas Nethercote and 19. Margaret Liles.

Children of Elizabeth Nethercote and William Kidd are:4. i. William Kidd was born 20 OCT 1622 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England, and died APR 1693 in Calvert Co., MD. He married Margaret Deare 3 FEB 1644.
ii. Thomas Kidd was born 8 JAN 1626 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died AFT. 28 MAY 1680 in Rappannock River, Middlesex Co., VA. He married Jane Willis ABT. 1669 in Middlesex Co., VA or York, VA, daughter of Thomas Willis. She was born BET. 1635 - 1648 in Middlesex Co., VA, and died 1680.
iii. Jeremia Kidd was born 1 FEB 1627 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 1635 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.

16. William (Kyd) Kidd was born 16 MAR 1558 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.

17. Marion was born ABT. 1567 in Cambridge, England.

Child of Marion and William (Kyd) Kidd is:8. i. William Kidd was born 6 JUL 1589 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 31 MAR 1647 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England. He married Elizabeth Nethercote 22 NOV 1621 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, daughter of Thomas Nethercote and Margaret Liles. She was born 8 OCT 1598 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 19 NOV 1630 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.

ajus2@k-inc.com>

Index | Descendancy | Register | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

ID: I294
Name: William Kidd (CAPTAIN) III
ALIA: Captain /Kidd/
Birth: ABT 1645 in Greenock, Scotland
Death: 23 May 1701 in Hanged for Piracy in London, England
Note:
Captain William Kidd, privateer and convicted pirate, is believed to have been born about 1645, at Greenock, Scotland, the son of a Presbyterian minister. He first gained notoriety during the revolution of 1688, wherein he performed distinguished service against the French in the West Indies. After receiving several plaudits, in 1695 he came to London and was recommended to the colonial governor Lord Bellomont, as fit to command a vessel to cruise against pirates in the eastern seaas, an effort sponsored by some of the most powerful politicians in England. His commission was to arrest all pirates and conduct reprisals against the French. Kidd sailed from Plymouth, England, in 1696 to New York and eventually in 1697 reaching Madagascar. It is rumored that here, instead of hunting down pirates, he associated with them, captuing native trading vessels. During 1698-99 complaints of his proceedings reached the British government. Being hunted by the British, Kidd deserted his ship in Madagascar and eventually reached New England in a small sloop.

He wrote to Bellomont, professing his ability to justify himself and sending the governor booty. He was eventually arrested in July 1699, was sent to England for trial, and found guilty of murder and piracy. He was hanged on May 23, 1701. About 14,000 England Pounds of Captain Kidd's treasures was recovered from Kidd's ship and from Gardiner's Island (off the east end of Long Island).

Although an actual marriage between the captain and Miss Gardner has not been verified by documentation (William, Jr., may have been illegitimate), the descendants of this line continued for several generations to honor him by naming their children after him. The family felt that he was wrongly convicted and hanged.

18. Thomas Nethercote was born 15 NOV 1562 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.

19. Margaret Liles was born 7 APR 1572 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. She was the daughter of 38. John Liles and 39. Joan.

Child of Margaret Liles and Thomas Nethercote is:9. i. Elizabeth Nethercote was born 8 OCT 1598 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 19 NOV 1630 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. She married William Kidd 22 NOV 1621 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, son of William (Kyd) Kidd and Marion. He was born 6 JUL 1589 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England, and died 31 MAR 1647 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England.

38. John Liles.

39. Joan.

Child of Joan and John Liles is:19. i. Margaret Liles was born 7 APR 1572 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. She married Thomas Nethercote 29 SEP 1595 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England. He was born 15 NOV 1562 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.

Children of William Kidd and Margaret Deare are:
18 i. Jr. William Kidd, married Ann Gideon.
ii. Unknown Kidd11, died Bef. 1693; married Samuel Fowler.
iii. Margaret Kidd11, born 1645; married James Wilson; died May 1762 in Calvert Co., MD.

Generation No. 7

72. William Kidd11, born July 06, 1589 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England; died March 31, 1647 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England. He was the son of 144. William Kidd and 145. Marion Unknown. He married 73. Elizabeth Nethercote.
73. Elizabeth Nethercote She was the daughter of 146. Thomas Nethercote and 147. Margaret Liles.

Children of William Kidd and Elizabeth Nethercote are:
36 i. William Kidd, born October 20, 1622 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England; died April 1693 in Calvert Co., MD; married Margaret Deare.
ii. Thomas Kidd11, born January 08, 1625/26 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England; died Aft. May 28, 1680 in Rappannock River, Middlesex Co., VA; married Jane Willis Abt. 1669 in Middlesex Co., VA or York, VA; born Bet. 1635 - 1648 in Middlesex Co., VA; died 1680.

More About Thomas Kidd and Jane Willis:
Marriage: Abt. 1669, Middlesex Co., VA or York, VA

iii. Jeremia Kidd11, born February 01, 1626/27 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England; died 1635 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England.

Generation No. 8

144. William Kidd, born March 16, 1557/58 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. He married 145. Marion Unknown.
145. Marion Unknown, born Abt. 1567 in Cambridge, England.

Notes for William Kidd:
http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESC&db=bjbro... 519

Barbara Brown <BBrown6575@aol.com

The following line is suspect. Capt. William Kidd the pirat was Only known to have had two daughters. I am entering the information because it is so widely circulated an I may be wrong. Darrell Groves

Child of William Kidd and Marion Unknown is:
72 i. William Kidd, born July 06, 1589 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England; died March 31, 1647 in Soham Parrish, Cambridgeshire, England; married Elizabeth Nethercote.

146. Thomas Nethercote, born November 15, 1562 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. He married 147. Margaret Liles September 29, 1595 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.
147. Margaret Liles11, born April 07, 1572 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England. She was the daughter of 294. John Liles and 295. Joan Unknown.

More About Thomas Nethercote and Margaret Liles:
Marriage: September 29, 1595, Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England

Child of Thomas Nethercote and Margaret Liles is:
73 i. Elizabeth Nethercote, married William Kidd.

Generation No. 9

294. John Liles He married 295. Joan Unknown.
295. Joan Unknown

Notes for John Liles:
1 John Liles
+ Joan
2 Margaret Liles b: 7 APR 1572
+ Thomas Nethercote b: 15 NOV 1562
3 Elizabeth Nethercote b: 8 OCT 1598 d: 19 NOV 1630
+ William Kidd b: 6 JUL 1589 d: 31 MAR 1647
4 William Kidd b: 20 OCT 1622 d: APR 1693
+ Margaret Deare
5 Margaret Kidd b: 1645
+ James Wilson d: MAY 1762
6 James Wilson b: 1665
6 John Wilson b: 1667
6 Joseph Wilson b: 1669
+ Frances Hilleary b: 1670 d: 1735
7 Thomas Wilson b: 5 OCT 1691
+ Priscilla Kent
7 Margaret Wilson b: 18 JUN 1694
+ Thomas Hickman
7 Frances Wilson b: 2 APR 1697
+ Nathan Masters b: 1697
8 Elizabeth Masters b: 1724
+ Thomas Bayne b: 1728 d: 1792
9 Richard Swan Bayne b: 15 FEB 1747
9 Samuel Hawkins Bayne b: 1748
+ Ann
9 Walter Fenley Bayne b: 2 SEP 1750
9 John Phillips Bayne b: 7 SEP 1756
+ Catherine Beall
9 Priscilla Bayne b: 24 NOV 1759
+ John North Masters b: 1756 d: 22 FEB 1811
10 Elizabeth Masters b: 1780 d: 5 JUL 1830
+ Enoch Spalding b: 19 MAR 1785 d: 25 JUL 1847
10 Ezekiel Masters b: 8 JUN 1784 d: 14 JUN 1874
+ Sarah Marshall
10 Matilda Masters b: 1786
+ Walter Mitchel
10 John Masters b: 1788
10 Benjamin Masters b: 1791
10 Nancy Ann Masters b: 1793
+ James Wedding
10 George Masters b: 1795
9 Daniel Jenkins Bayne b: 4 JUL 1762
+ Ann Pope
8 Priscilla Masters b: 1722
+ James Wilson
8 Mary Masters b: 1726
7 Mary Wilson b: 9 JUL 1699
7 Joseph Wilson b: 8 FEB 1701
+ Ann Dowell
7 Elizabeth Wilson b: 10 FEB 1704
+ William Ireland
7 Sophia Wilson b: 10 FEB 1704
+ George Lawrence
7 Josiah Wilson b: 17 MAY 1707
7 James Wilson b: 17 AUG 1710
5 unknown Kidd d: BEF. 1693
+ Samuel Fowler
5 William Kidd b: 1675
+ Ann Gideon
6 Margaret Kidd b: ABT. 1718 d: 1774
+ John Marquess
7 William Kidd Marquess
4 Thomas Kidd b: 8 JAN 1626 d: AFT. 28 MAY 1680
+ Jane Willis b: BET. 1635 - 1648 d: 1680
5 Thomas Kidd b: BET. 1669 - 1687 d: 11 MAY 1727
+ Alice Trigg b: BET. 1673 - 1675 d: 14 DEC 1720
6 Winnifred Kidd b: 21 NOV 1702 d: 1727
6 Henry Kidd b: BET. 1690 - 1715 d: 1727
6 Thomas Kidd b: ABT. 1692 d: 1747
+ Phyllis b: 1692
7 Phillip Kidd b: 1732
+ Margaret b: 1692 d: 1720
7 Rachel Kidd
+ Baker
7 Thomas Kidd b: BET. 1718 - 1728
+ Elizabeth Laurence b: 1692
7 Elizabeth (Betty) Kidd b: BET. 1724 - 1734
7 Anne Kidd b: BET. 1719 - 1726
6 Daniel Kidd b: BET. 1697 - 1710 d: 1792
+ Ann
7 Frances Kidd b: 1769 d: 1769
7 Daniel Kidd
6 John Kidd b: ABT. 1698
+ Rebecca Godbee b: 1698 d: 20 JAN 1742
7 Edmund Kidd
+ Ruth Thurston
8 Ruth Thurston Kidd b: 1771
7 Judith Kidd b: 1722
7 Frances Kidd b: 1726
+ William Thurston
7 Frances Kidd b: 1727
7 Jemima Kidd b: 6 MAR 1729
7 John Kidd b: 2 AUG 1734
7 James Kidd b: 30 MAR 1738 d: 22 JAN 1798
+ Mary
8 Benjamin Kidd b: 23 OCT 1761 d: 27 JUL 1832
+ Nancy Anthony b: 1771 d: 23 MAR 1831
9 George Washington Kidd b: ABT. 1790 d: 1844
+ Nancy N Anthony b: 1805 d: 1876
10 Jackson Carroll Kidd b: 1819 d: 1854
10 Joseph William Kidd b: ABT. 1821
+ Martha J Chaffin b: ABT. 1824
10 James Bryain Kidd b: 13 SEP 1823 d: 27 MAR 1889
10 John Anthony Kidd b: 27 SEP 1825 d: 27 JUL 1865
10 Jerimiah Thomas Kidd b: 1832 d: 1866
10 Martha Hanna Kidd b: 4 JUN 1835 d: 16 SEP 1915
10 Nathaniel Jefferson Kidd b: 1838
10 George Washington Kidd b: 1840
10 Allen Hill Kidd b: 21 MAR 1842 d: 15 DEC 1917
9 Martha Patsey Kidd b: ABT. 1790 d: 27 APR 1834
9 William Kimbrough Kidd b: ABT. 1790 d: 21 SEP 1870
9 James Kidd b: 27 AUG 1793 d: 5 OCT 1869
9 Jane Kidd b: 1797 d: 1875
9 Mary Kidd b: 1798
7 Sarah Kidd b: 1740
7 William Kidd
6 Frances Kidd b: 22 APR 1705
+ William Thurston b: 1705
7 John Thurston b: 6 OCT 1729
+ Winnefred Kidd b: 1731
7 Henry Thurston b: 22 JUL 1734
7 Jane Thurston b: 20 FEB 1735
7 Jane Thurston b: 30 SEP 1737
7 Frances Thurston b: 6 OCT 1740
6 Mary Kidd b: ABT. 1709 d: BET. 1710 - 1803
6 Benjamin Kidd b: BET. 1711 - 1718 d: BET. 1787 - 1820
+ Judith Chowning b: 21 MAR 1717 d: 1761
7 Issac Kidd d: 1777
+ Sarah Bohannon
+ Lucy Minton
8 Pitman Kidd
8 Benjamin Kidd b: BEF. 1761
8 Issac Kidd b: BEF. 1761
7 James Kidd b: ABT. 1749 d: 1796
+ Mary
8 Nancy Kidd
+ William Kidd
8 Polly Kidd b: 1768
+ Issac Kidd
8 Benjamin Kidd
+ Ann Spencer
8 George Kidd
8 James Kidd
+ Catherine Meckelborough
8 Jane Kidd b: ABT. 1756
+ Thomas Crittenden b: ABT. 1749
8 John Kidd
8 William Norman Kidd
+ Sally Stamper
8 Lucy Kidd b: AFT. 1771
8 Sarah 'Sally' Kidd b: 12 MAR 1776 d: 1824
9 Mary Micham Kidd b: 4 APR 1794 d: 4 JUN 1833
+ Levin (Judge) Polk Brown b: 29 JAN 1796 d: 29 JUL 1866
10 James Monroe Brown b: 24 JUL 1818 d: 26 AUG 1835
10 David Bedford Brown b: 25 FEB 1820 d: 20 OCT 1876
+ Elizabeth Ann Todd b: 8 JUN 1833 d: 4 SEP 1904
10 Edmonia B Brown b: 24 AUG 1821 d: 7 AUG 1893
+ Elisha Moore b: 12 NOV 1808 d: 24 AUG 1851
10 Henderson Brown b: 17 DEC 1823 d: 1910
10 John Spencer Brown b: 29 NOV 1825
10 Andrew Jackson Brown b: 23 OCT 1827 d: 9 SEP 1890
10 Pamela Brown b: 4 FEB 1830 d: 14 OCT 1835
+ Samuel Stamper b: 6 OCT 1775 d: 1818
9 Isom Stamper b: ABT. 1808
+ Sarah Creech b: ABT. 1808
10 Ira Stamper b: 11 OCT 1829
10 Enoch Stamper b: MAR 1834
10 John W Stamper b: MAR 1834
10 Sarah Stamper b: 1836
10 Elizabeth Stamper b: 1838
10 Alexander Stamper b: 1842
10 Susannah Stamper b: 1845
8 Thomas Kidd b: 15 JUN 1778
7 George Kidd b: 3 MAY 1737 d: 1797
+ Elizabeth
8 George Kidd b: 1763 d: 24 NOV 1844
+ Mary Elizabeth Southall b: ABT. 1763 d: 12 OCT 1824
8 Lodowick Kidd b: 1765 d: 1855
+ Lucy
9 William Kidd b: ABT. 1797 d: 1883
+ Mary Ann Stell
10 Eutimeous Elanious Canaugh Kidd b: 1846 d: 1906
+ Barbara Elizabeth A Stroupe
7 Benjamin Kidd b: 18 NOV 1739
+ Jane
8 Benjamin Kidd b: 1761
8 James Kidd b: 1771
8 George Kidd b: 1773
7 Henry Kidd b: 16 OCT 1743 d: 1793
+ Catharine Seward
8 William Kidd
8 John Kidd b: BEF. 1764
8 Mary Kidd b: 1769
+ John Brown
8 Sarah Kidd b: ABT. 1770
7 Chowning Kidd b: 9 OCT 1745 d: 23 SEP 1773
+ Catherine French b: 1753
6 William Kidd b: 2 APR 1716
6 Anne Kidd b: 1719 d: BET. 1720 - 1813
6 Jane Kidd b: 7 MAY 1719 d: BET. 1720 - 1813
5 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1 SEP 1672
+ Martin Masey b: 1665
5 William Kidd b: 22 MAR 1675 d: 29 APR 1727
+ Margaret Deare (or Elizabeth Chowning) b: BET. 1675 - 1685 d: 24 MAR 1727
6 William Kidd b: 1700 d: 4 APR 1740
+ Elizabeth Thurston b: BET. 1707 - 1710
7 William Kidd b: 1729 d: 1802
+ Mary Walker Halbert
8 Thomas Kidd b: 1756 d: 1803
+ Elizabeth
8 James Kidd b: 1758 d: 1805
+ Sauders
8 William Kidd b: 1760 d: 1801
8 John Kidd b: 1762 d: 1829
+ Lavinia
8 Edmund James Kidd b: 1762 d: 1820
+ Sarah
+ Frances
8 Frances Kidd b: 1772
+ Washington Jones
8 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1773
+ Edwin Motley
8 Joel Halbert Kidd b: 1776 d: 1827
+ Sarah Sauders
8 Willis Kidd b: 1778 d: 1843
+ Lucy Sauders
8 Walker Kidd b: 1780 d: 1840
+ Patricia Price
8 Phillip Kidd b: 1782
+ Ann Conner
8 Mary Kidd b: 1783
+ John Smither
7 John Kidd b: 1733
7 Betty Kidd b: 1736
7 Susannah Kidd b: BET. 1737 - 1747
7 Sarah Kidd b: 1740
6 Margaret Kidd b: 12 MAY 1702 d: ABT. 1796
+ John Southern b: 1702 d: 21 OCT 1759
7 James Southern
7 Samuel Southern
7 William Southern b: BET. 1726 - 1732 d: 1794
+ Mary Gibson b: 1726
8 Gibson Southern b: 25 DEC 1748 d: 3 APR 1833
+ Mary Peters b: ABT. 1752
8 Reuben Southern b: 1757 d: 1835
+ Tillery
9 Joshua C Southern b: 1774 d: 1868
+ Mary Carter b: 1783 d: 1858
9 Reuben Southern b: 1788
+ Dosia
9 Stephen Southern b: 1790 d: 1870
+ Rachel
+ Harriet Chaffin b: 1827
9 John Southern b: 1790
9 Daniel Southern b: 1792
+ Patsy Mitchell
9 Anny Southern
+ John Brown
8 William Southern b: BET. 1752 - 1758 d: BET. 1833 - 1835
+ J Turner b: ABT. 1760
8 Edward Southern b: ABT. 1754
+ Magdelaine Faure (Ford) b: ABT. 1805
8 Boaz Southern b: 1764
9 John Southern b: ABT. 1790
10 Alford W Southern b: ABT. 1816
+ Emily b: ABT. 1820
+ Sarah b: ABT. 1828
+ Martha b: ABT. 1825
10 Preston Ford Southern b: 3 DEC 1817 d: 10 OCT 1878
+ Martha Ann Bullard b: 21 APR 1821 d: ABT. 1889
8 Ford Southern b: 1765 d: BET. 1839 - 1846
+ Catherine Zimmerman b: BET. 1770 - 1773 d: 1815
9 William Southern b: 1795 d: 1846
+ Frances Banks b: 1792 d: 1855
9 Reuben Southern b: 1800
+ Martha Burton
9 Nancy Southern b: 1800
+ John Mitchell
8 John Southern b: 25 AUG 1774
+ Elizabeth Duncan b: 20 JAN 1791 d: 22 JAN 1873
9 Margaret Southern b: 1805
9 Judith Southern b: 1807
+ Emmons
9 Sarah Southern b: 1808 d: 1888
+ William Henry Bolton b: 1807 d: 1864
9 Nancy Southern b: 1810
+ Alfred Waddel
9 Aylsey Southern b: 1811
+ Emmons
9 Susannah Southern b: 1812
9 John Southern b: 1815
9 Martin Southern b: 1817
+ Melinda Meadows
+ Elizabeth Ann Bolton b: 1828 d: 1900
9 Elizabeth Southern b: 1820
+ Michael Miller
9 Jane Southern b: 1822
+ Fleming T Brown
9 Mary Ann Southern b: 1826
+ Joseph McMahon
9 Charles William Southern b: 1829
+ Catherine
9 Salena Southern b: 1831 d: 20 NOV 1894
+ Charles R Seely d: 17 MAR 1907
10 M V Seely
10 A V Seely
+ Stuart
10 F S Seely
+ Coats
10 G B Seely
10 C P Seely
+ Hageman
10 C R Seely
10 E E Seely
+ Hough
10 W C Seely
+ Graves
9 Brackston Duncan Southern b: 1833
+ Jane Vetch
9 Parker Southern
8 Judith Southern b: 25 AUG 1774 d: DEC 1848
+ John Lawrence Burch b: 7 AUG 1774 d: 12 FEB 1840
9 Dotia Burch b: 1804 d: 1877
+ Perminter Morgan
9 Cynthia Burch b: 1805 d: 1851
+ Spencer Griffin
9 Nancy Burch b: 1807 d: 1874
+ Abraham May
9 Charles Burch b: 1808 d: 1874
+ Jane Oliphant
9 Achilles Burch b: 1810 d: 1874
+ Margaret Oliphant
9 Joel Burch b: 1812 d: 1883
+ Matilda Burch
9 Henry Burch b: 1813 d: 1893
+ Rebecca Linsay Gentry
9 John Southern Burch b: 1815 d: 1898
+ Sarah
9 Hannah Burch b: 1816 d: 1891
+ Richard E Griffin
7 John Southern b: 1722
7 Joseph Southern b: 1724 d: 1733
7 Benjamin Southern b: 1730
7 Averitta Southern b: 1733
6 Robert Kidd b: 20 JUL 1703 d: BET. 1704 - 1793
6 Aggatha Kidd b: 5 NOV 1705
+ William Cardweller b: BET. 1703 - 1705
6 Moses Kidd b: 31 MAR 1707
+ Dorothy
7 Martha Kidd
7 Sarah Kidd b: 17 MAY 1731
6 John Kidd b: 27 FEB 1708 d: 1785
+ Ruth Adkinson (Farish) b: 1710
7 John Norman Kidd b: BET. 1731 - 1758 d: AFT. 1795
+ Juriah
8 Ann W Kidd b: 1780
+ James McAlexander b: 1783 d: 1860
8 Ruth Kidd b: 1790
+ John McAlexander b: 1791 d: 1850
7 William Kidd b: BET. 1733 - 1760 d: 1832
7 Nancy Kidd
+ Edward Kersey
7 James Kidd b: 1766
6 Direll Kidd b: 11 MAR 1711 d: 1793
+ Mary Sorrow b: BET. 1711 - 1713
7 James Kidd b: 10 FEB 1737 d: 1793
+ Morning Mary Parish b: 1738 d: 1793
8 Dicea Kidd b: 1756
8 Sally Kidd b: 3 FEB 1761
+ James Grant b: 1768
9 Stephen Grant b: 1793 d: 6 MAY 1873
+ Nancy Forest
8 James Kidd
8 Polly Kidd b: 1761
8 Nancy Kidd b: 1763
8 John Kidd b: 1769 d: 1862
+ Winnifred Hudson
8 William Kidd b: 16 DEC 1763 d: 1845
+ Judith Carter
9 Carter Kidd b: 1782
9 William Kidd b: 1786
9 Lucy Kidd b: 1788
9 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1790
9 Webb Kidd b: 1792
9 Mary Kidd b: 1794
8 James Henry Kidd b: 1764 d: 1840
+ Frances Robertson b: 20 MAR 1769
8 Zachariah Kidd b: 1765
+ Sarah Sorrow
8 Joseph Kidd b: 1767
8 John Kidd b: 1769 d: 1862
+ Lucy Melton b: 1769
9 Tabitha Kidd
9 George Kidd
9 Benjamin Kidd
9 Elisha Kidd b: 1808
+ Margaret
10 Earl Kidd
10 J Crockett Kidd
10 Preston Kidd b: 1833
10 John Edward Kidd b: 1835
10 Mary Kidd b: 1837
10 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1840
10 George A Kidd b: 1842
10 Deborah Kidd b: 1846
10 Rebecca Kidd b: 1848
10 Lucenda Kidd b: BET. 1849 - 1850
10 Elisha Lafayette Kidd b: AUG 1852
8 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1772
+ Meredith Landers b: 1772 d: 1862
9 Thomas L Landers
+ Priscilla Radcliffe b: 1816
9 Kidd Landers
+ Nancy E Harris
9 Mary A Landers b: 1810
+ John T Kidd b: ABT. 1806
10 Nancy Kidd d: 1854
+ Berry Turley b: ABT. 1800 d: AFT. 1891
10 Martin Kidd b: 1826 d: 6 MAY 1859
+ Demaris Kidd
10 Mathew Kidd b: 1827
10 John Benson Kidd b: OCT 1827 d: 1914
+ Amelia A Martin b: 1830 d: BEF. 1901
10 George W Kidd b: 1832 d: 13 AUG 1859
10 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1835
+ George W Hughes
9 Jane Landers b: 1801
+ John Billings b: 1791
9 George William Landers b: MAY 1810 d: 27 SEP 1861
+ Elizabeth Wilson b: 1813
10 Thomas Wilson Landers b: 1834 d: 1918
+ Sarah Margaret Harmon b: 1836 d: 1912
9 Nancy Elizabeth Landers b: 1811
+ Lemuel Lett b: 1805
+ Hiram Powers Thomas b: 22 FEB 1822 d: 11 JAN 1898
9 John U Landers b: 1813
+ Amanda
8 Pleasant Kidd b: 1775
+ Martha
8 George Kidd b: 1777
+ Lidia Chiles b: ABT. 1778
9 John T Kidd b: ABT. 1806
+ Mary A Landers b: 1810
10 Nancy Kidd d: 1854
+ Berry Turley b: ABT. 1800 d: AFT. 1891
10 Martin Kidd b: 1826 d: 6 MAY 1859
+ Demaris Kidd
10 Mathew Kidd b: 1827
10 John Benson Kidd b: OCT 1827 d: 1914
+ Amelia A Martin b: 1830 d: BEF. 1901
10 George W Kidd b: 1832 d: 13 AUG 1859
10 Elizabeth Kidd b: 1835
+ George W Hughes
9 Catharine D Kidd b: 1808 d: 1886
+ Dioclesian Martin b: 1806 d: MAR 1879
10 Amelia A Martin b: 1830 d: BEF. 1901
+ John Benson Kidd b: OCT 1827 d: 1914
10 William B Martin b: JAN 1831 d: AFT. 5 JUL 1881
+ Nancy D Johnson b: 1835
10 Sarah Martin b: 1835
+ Matthias Ingram b: ABT. 1825
10 Eliza Virginia Martin b: 1837 d: 8 DEC 1883
+ Lafayette Shaver b: 6 NOV 1836 d: 27 JUN 1914
10 Cynthia Martin b: 1839
10 Dioclesian Martin b: 1840
10 Rosanna I Martin b: 1845
10 Mary Emory Martin b: 1847 d: 20 JUN 1861
10 John F Martin b: 1848 d: 1939
+ Melissa Good b: 1850
7 John Kidd b: 1738
+ Ruth Parish
8 Norman Kidd b: 1758
+ Rachel A Smith
8 Matilda Kidd
8 Caroline Kidd
8 Christopher Kidd b: 1800
+ Elizabeth Ann Kinningham b: 15 MAY 1822
8 Sophia Kidd b: ABT. 1806 d: BEF. 1880
+ Henry Whitmire b: 4 FEB 1803 d: ABT. 1883
9 John Henry Whitmire d: 30 JUL 1863
8 Coleman Kidd b: ABT. 1808
+ Harriet Berry
8 Thomas Jefferson Kidd b: ABT. 1810
8 Marcus Kidd b: ABT. 1816
7 Margaret Kidd b: 16 MAY 1739
7 Moses Kidd b: 1742
+ Millie Clark b: 1742
6 Aaron Kidd b: 8 DEC 1713 d: MAR 1772
+ Susannah b: ABT. 1717
7 Annah Kidd b: 1749 d: BEF. OCT 1821
+ Thomas Elliott
7 Mary Kidd b: 1745
+ Davis
7 Mildred Kidd b: 1743
+ Baltimore
8 William Baltimore
8 Ann Baltimore
8 Fanny Baltimore
8 Elizabeth Baltimore d: BEF. 1821
+ James Kidd
9 Nathan H Kidd
9 Mildred Kidd
+ Jessee Manley
9 Polly Kidd d: BEF. OCT 1821
+ Davis
10 Benjamin Davis
10 Zachariah Davis
10 John S Davis
10 William Davis
10 Bryant Davis
10 Carter Davis
10 Milly Davis
10 Polly Davis
9 Nancy Kidd
9 Christopher Kidd
9 James Kidd
9 Austin Kidd
8 James B Baltimore
+ Mary Clements b: 1787
7 Sarah Kidd b: 1770 d: BEF.

Child of John Liles and Joan Unknown is:
147 i. Margaret Liles, born April 07, 1572 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England; married Thomas Nethercote September 29, 1595 in Soham Parrish, Cambridge, England.

Endnotes

1. email Thomas K. Marquis <brotom@evansville.net>.
2. 1840 census Hardy Co., Ba. pg. 133& 1850 census p.91.
3. Delphine Jackson <res0327v@gte.net>.
4. Amy Justice <ajus2@k-inc.com>.
5. "Virginia Historic Marriage Register" Frederic County Marriages 1738-1850 by John Vogt &T. William Kethley, Jr., Iberian Press, Athens, Georgia 1984. Pg. 122.
6. email Thomas K. Marquis <brotom@evansville.net>.
7. Joyce Wisecarver <jwiseca476@aol.com, Joyce Wisecarver <jwiseca476@aol.com.
8. Joyce Bever <moo2@k-inc.com>.
9. Unknown <ajus2@k-inc.com>.
10. Joyce Bever <moo2@k-inc.com>.
11. Barbara Brown <BBrown6575@aol.com>.

Posted: 2 Dec 2002 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2005 6:13PM GMT
Please send me a copy of the section of the posting that relates to Ooft. I must be overlooking it. My email address is <kdwgroves@yahoo.com>, Darrell Groves
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions