Search for content in message boards

ZENAS ORTON II & RACHEL HICKMOTT

ZENAS ORTON II & RACHEL HICKMOTT

Posted: 20 Jan 2003 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Feb 2003 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: ORTON, HICKMOTT
I am seeking the descendants of ZENAS ORTON II (1806 - 1878) & RACHEL HICKMOTT (1818 - 1856), former widow of William Lovelace, who resided in Gosfield South Township, Essex County, Ontario.

There were two surviving children of this union: Alda Orton (Mrs. Alexander Hyslop) and Urie Orton (Mrs. Andrew Wright).

I am in need of data in order to complete this family line as well as old photographs.

With thanks,
Kevin.

Re: ZENAS ORTON II & RACHEL HICKMOTT

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2003 5:20AM GMT
Hi Kevin, I also am researching this family. I am trying to find descendants of all the Hickmotts, not just my direct line.
My records indicate that it was Margaret Hickmott who married first William Loveless/Lovelace on May 30, 1836 and then Zenas Orton II on Dec 17,1850. I have the descendants of John Alexander Hislop and Olga/Alda Margaret Orton who were married on Sep. 5, 1876 and some of the descendants of Andrew Wright and Urie/Eura/Erue Orton who were married ca 1879. I would love to exchange info. I am on holidays right now. Will home at my e-mail address next week. Look forward to hearing from you.

Re: ORTONS/ LOVELACES

Posted: 24 Jan 2003 1:19AM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2003 5:05PM GMT
Here is what is listed in the 1891 Census for Gosfield Twsp. -

Lovelace, Fenwick aged 28 b. Ontario
, Annie aged 28 b. "
, Harold aged 3 b. "
, Dora aged 1 b. "

Lovelace, Wilfred aged 30 b. Ontario
, Laura aged 26 b. "
, Mabel aged 5 b. "

Orton, Zenas aged 64 b. Ontario
, Eliza aged 65 b. "
, Oliver aged 36 b. "
, Roxanna aged 25 b. "
, Ruby aged 1 b. "

Orton, William aged 29 b. Ontario
, Ann aged 28 b. "
, Emma aged 10 b. "
, Eva aged 8 b. "
, Rowena aged 5 b. "
, Stanley aged 1 b. "

Further, in the Biographical Record of Essex Co., there are-
1. Zenas Orton - family from Conntecticut, first of the family in Western Canada. A U. E.L. He emigrated to eastern Canada from the States, then to Essex Co., and later moved to Leeds Co. where he died. He left two sons- Zenas and Alvin.
2. John, son of Zenas, b. 29 Sept. 1836 in Gosfield Twsp. He farmed for a while then moved to Mersea Twsp. conc. 4. He married Maria Irwin b. Mersea Twsp., dau. of Wm. Irwin.
children - Arvilla Cecilia m. James Jeffery
- Darius P. b. May 10, 1861 d. Mar. 21, 1893 buried Lakeview Cem., Leamington ( killed accidently by a saw at the home of Jacob Fox).Left widow Laura Quick Orton and three children -Stanley, Vera, Jennie.
- Martin Van Buren b. Aug. 10, 1863
- Herman d. young
- Emily A. m. Scott White of Mersea Twsp.
- Thaddeus S. of Yellow Grass, N.W.T.
- Otto Bismark of Vancouver, B.C.
3. Zenas b. 1806 in Co. of Leeds m. Julia Malotte dau. of Theodore and Katie (Wigle). Mrs. Orton d. 1851 in Gosfield.
children- Zenas
- Theodore of Muskegon, Mich. d. Apr. 1902
- Catherine m. Alonzo Brown of Chicago
- John of Mersea, d. leaving wife and family
- Priedeux of Gosfield, d. leaving family
- William of Florida- for his health
- Alvin of Gosfield North killed in accident in 1900, leaving a family
- Lucinda m. samuel Whitesel of Michigan, d. June 1903 leaving 3 children
Second wife was Margaret (Hickman) Lovelace- children- Alda m. Alexander Hyslop of Gosfield North and Urie m. Andrew Wright of Colchester South.
The Orton family is of English Extraction and has lived in the Us for 250 years.

Zenas Orton b. Mar. 10, 1827 in Gosfield on shores of Lake Erie. his parents, Zenas and Julia (Malott) Orton, m. Eliza Hickman on Jan 25, 1848.

There is more!

Regards George

Posted: 24 Jan 2003 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2003 3:17PM GMT
Thanks George for the information and your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin.

Posted: 24 Jan 2003 9:17PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2003 5:05PM GMT
Continued---
Zenas and Eliza's children-
1.Emily b. 1850, m. Darius Fox, lived farm at Ruthven where he died leaving her with 2 kids Gordon, m. Cora Bund of Gosfield & 2.Carrie m. Chas. Wigle of Gosfield.
3.Andrew b. 1853 m. Alice Brigham of Gosfield w/ 6 kids- George, Blanche, Pearl, Laura, May & Everett.
4.Celestia b. 1854 m. Albert Royal of Leamington, 2 kids - Bertha, Laura.
5.Oliver b. 1856 m. Roxie Hillier of Mersea Twsp., 5 kids - Ruby, Mary, Laura, Stella & Doris E.
6.Amelia b. 1858 m. Thomas Fenwick of Romney Twsp., Kent Co., 1 child, Grace and remarried to Mr. Dawson of Calgary.
7.Almina b. 1860 m. Thos. Jenner of Colchester, 5 kids - Arthur, Amelia, Stanley, Rosie & Flossie.
8.William b. 1862 m. Annie Noble, 5 kids - Emma m. Chas. Millen, Eva m. Everett Millen, Roena, Stanley & Carrie.
9.Laura b. 1866 m. Wilford Lovelace of Detroit, one child Leila Mabel.
10.Sabina b. 1868 m. John Smith of Cottam, 3 kids - Roy, William & Edward.

Lewis J. Orton, son of Alvin And Margaret (McQueen) Orton, b. Aug. 2, 1872 on father's farm on Talbot Rd. Gosfield. NOTE: Alvin b. 1844, d. June 1898.
Children- Dr. Ellsworth b. 1865 m. Minnie Christie of St. Catharines, practiced in Waterford, Mich.1 child- Clark E.
- Zadia b. 1867 , m. George Abercrombie of Montana, 1 child- Charles E.
- Minnie b. 1869 unmarried in Detroit
- Lewis J. m. Annie Ash in Jan. 1898, 2 kids - Willie S. b. May 1899 & Alvin b. 1901
- Hamilton b. 1875 m. Lillie Speacely of Gosfield, 2 kids - Frances M. & Oina L.
- Aylmer b.1878 unmarried in Essex.
- Jennie b. 1880 unmarried in Detroit
- Mabel b. 1882 , lives in Detroit

This is all I have. Good Luck,

George

jm (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2003 5:57AM GMT
Surnames: Curtis, Cullen, Bell, Lovelace, Neal
George, I believe you are the same person I typed to regarding the Curtis and Bell families(old posting from 2001). I just found both of your postings now. Do you have any info pertaining to Caleb Curtis and his wife Ruth Cullen. I am most interested in their son, Hilbert James Dale Curtis who was married to Ellen Lovelace. They had a daughter Maggie Bell Curtis who was married to William Hughes Neal. Can anyone help me?

Re: Curtis

George Setterington (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2004 9:39PM GMT
Caleb Curtis, son of Bennett Curtis b. New York d. 1871 in Mersea and Sarah Sterns, b. Mar. 31, 1824 in Mersea Twsp. d. 1841, grandson of Abel Curtis of Connecticutt and who died in Michigan. Abel's wife was Mabel Curtis with children Reuben, Bennett, Ransom, Miranda and Minerva.
Bennett's children were
1. Caleb b. Mar. 31, 1824 m. Ruth Cullen in Amherstburg on Feb. 3, 1850 Ruth b. in Quebec a dau. of James and Elizabeth(Bell) Cullen. Children-
a) Hilburt m. Ellen Lovelace of Mersea - 3 children Maggie, Floyd and Beatrice
b) Burrit m. Alma Fowler - 3 children Lorne, Claud and Dott
c) Cecelia Sarah m. Sylvester Setterington - three children Alice Ray, Gordon Cleone and Harold Aubrey
d) Annetta m. Richard Cooke -2 children Mahlon and Ruth
e) Howard m. Florence Whipple
f) Leroy
g) Gordon
2. Alice widow in 1905 of James Wigle
3. Minerva m. John McGaw- both desceased before 1905
4. Miranda died unmarried before 1905
5. William died before 1905
6. Abel died before 1905
7. Sarah died before 1905
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions