Search for content in message boards

BOB BURNS, VAN BUREN, ARKANSAS

BOB BURNS, VAN BUREN, ARKANSAS

carole a. johnson (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 1:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
I found in my Fathers possessions that he left a penny picture post card. It has not been used and it appears to be a actual photograph of the home of Bob Burns. Can someone tell me who he was and why there would be a picture of his home. Also on rootsweb I also found this same picture but as if a painting and in color. Mine is a actual postcard as it has the place for a l (one) cent stamp.
Thanks for any enlightment here,
Carole A. Johnson
Bullhead City, Az.

Re: BOB BURNS, VAN BUREN, ARKANSAS

Joe E Smith (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 6:18PM GMT
Carole

I will attemp to answer your question about who Bob Burns was.

He was a comedian and originally broadcast on radio in the late 1930's. He was famous for telling outlandish and exaggerated stories about his kin folks that were suppose to live around the Van Buren area. Most people around this area resented being misrepresented in such a manner because they thought that only "hillbillies" existed in this area.

He went on to star in several movies and is probably buried in California. He is famous for developing a musical instrument he called a bazooka which was made from several lengths of pipe with a funnel on the end. He played it by blowing air thru a mouthpiece and the tone was controlled by sliding one piece of pipe over the other. The anti-tank weapon was called a bazooka because it was similar in appearance.

When I was in the Navy in the early '50s, when anyone found out that I was from Van Buren, the first question would be "What ever happened to Bob Burns".

His home is still in existance on the corner of Jefferson and 9th Streets although it has lost much of its prior popularity. His brother Farrah is buried here in Fairview Cemetery and there is a memorial to Bob beside his gravesite.

I'm sure that there will be others that give you bits and pieces of information...the above is just a little of his history.

Joe

Re: BOB BURNS, VAN BUREN, ARKANSAS

carole a. johnson (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS, LONG,BARNES,EDGEMAN, KOHLER,WHITE,ROBERTS,HURST GLOVER,JOHNSON, GRIGG,SUMLIN
Thanks Joe,
You have explained well. I found a penny post card in my Fathers things. I know my Mother, who was a Long, came from the AR. area and my Dad was from Ok. So I guess this is just something they held onto.
Mine appears to be unused and is a photographic made into a card for mailing. I have also learned some were made in color as lithographs. very interesting indeed.
Take care, and thank you,
Carole A. Johnson
Bullhead City, Az.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions