Search for content in message boards

Old search

Old search

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Oct 2012 12:39AM GMT
I was told that the old search was still intact, but most every time I do an "old search", I get results in the "new" format, not the old format. This has been a problem for a long time. Obviously, Ancestry.com doesn't give a crap, and wants us to spend more time on their site to find the same results we could find very quickly in the past with the old search. It means you have to extend your membership because it takes more time. More revenue for them.

To whom it may concern at Ancestry.com, when are you going to learn that happy customers will generate more revenue than dis-satisfied customers? Your new search sucks, period. Start listening to your customers!

Re: OLD SEARCH

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:14AM GMT
I use old search all the time and haven't had any problems.
Have you checked the box that says exact matches only?

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:18AM GMT
Yes, I usually check exact matches... Is there some setting on my PC that I'm missing?

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:26AM GMT
For example, I got an email about the new Canada Voters List, so I clicked on the link, signed in, and put in she?t? in the last name, and it gave me the results in the NEW format.

Paul
Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:30AM GMT
Do you get any results at all in Old Search format before it reverts? If so, the problem (Ancestry's, not yours, IMO) is that if you click on any record (even in someone else's tree) that was saved from a New Search result list, your next search will have reverted back to New Search and you have to reset it again.

If, however, you never got any results in the Old Search format, I have no insights about that.

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:51AM GMT
Do not check "exact"

It no longer works with many databases in Old Search.

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 3:16AM GMT
Why don't you provide a screen shot of what you're calling "new search" results.

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 3:17AM GMT
"Do not check "exact". It no longer works with many databases in Old Search."

Can you give examples? I've yet to encounter this problem.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 12:51AM GMT
ludlowbaylive,

The Drouin Collection which is comprised of 6 databases, 50 million Canadian BMD's, can no longer searched by using "exact" in Old Search.

I posted about this here in June: http://boards.ancestry.com/2010-Search-Beta/125/mb.ashx.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 5:10AM GMT
The Drouin Collection has a known problem with misaligned indexed fields, which will present problems for *any* search, whether exact or not, Old or New.

To advise the OP that there is some correlation between "Exact" searches and his inability to see search results in his preferred "old" format suggests that you are either misinformed or disingenuous.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions