about James Alexander Drennan who married Euretta Holmes
around 1890. He disappeared after his wife died in childbirth
with 2nd child. I need to know his parents, and where they
originated. Any information would be so appreciated. Thanks,
Jane

Re: Drennan

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 5:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
In the 1894 St. Clair county census there is a John (59, Ire. & Prospyna (57, Can.) Drennan with children. Chance are these are his parents. James could have gone to Canada or moved to another county or state. Did the 2nd child live? Name of 1st child?

John & Prospyna are also in the 1880 cenus

Re: Drennan

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 5:14PM GMT
Forgot to give the links -
http://www.us-census.org/inventory/

Select - Michigan, St. Clair county

1880 US Census – The Mormon Church Files LDS (Free, indexed and searchable)
Look for 1880 US Census on the left side of screen
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
Posted: 6 Oct 2012 12:31AM GMT
John A Drennan was one of many Drennan children born to John Drennan and Prospena Sheldon. They married in Canada and moved to Michigan where they stayed for a couple of generations.
Posted: 8 Oct 2012 1:53AM GMT
Yes John and Prospena were James A. Drennan's parents. I have been searching into the claims of Euretta's death... I am unable to locate any documents of her passing... It has been speculated in my family that she may have left the family and the death was reported to the children to placate them... If anyone has any further information, I would appreciate the help.

Thank you

Re: Drennan, Euretta Jane Holmes

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Drennan
We are also trying to determine when and where Euretta died. Have researched this family for a while. It is interesting you indicate Euretta died during the birth of their second child; our news was she died "in childbirth". Is this "family lore?"
James was born in 1865 in Canada, married Euretta on 15 April, 1890 in Sanilac, Michigan.
My client indicated "John Drennan (b. August 3, 1834) is 4 years old when the family emigrated to Canada from the north of Ireland and settled near Lyndhurst, Lansdowne township, Leeds Co., Canada West (Ontario.) Their religion is Church of Scotland (Presbyterian.) The emigration could have occurred from Belfast, Antrim Co. Ireland during 1838 or 1839." Hope this helps some.

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 2:43AM GMT
John Drennan was born in Ireland, in 1834. It is unclear to us when he emigrated to Canada. He married Prospina Sheldon and had several children, including James A. Drennan. James married Euretta Jane Holmes.At some point around 1940, James Drennan joined the gold rush leaving his children, Harry and Grace in Michigan with his parents. It is possibly family lore that Euretta died during or sometime after Grace was born. We have been unable to locate documentation supporting her death, ANYWHERE. it is speculated that she was overwhelmed having been married young and all but abandoned by her husband and left the family. Again this is thus far speculation. We are attempting to locate any documentation supporting either theory. We are aware that Harry met his father John on a train and it is believed not to have gone well.

Posted: 26 May 2013 4:46AM GMT
My wife Marilyn (Howse); is Grace's grandaughter. Graces daughter is Ruth (McKinley) Howse. Grace was born St. Ignes Michigan. She lived with us before her death in about 1991. She was interned in the Howse plot in Acacia Park Cemetary in Beverly Hills, Michigan.

My brother Peter Howells was doing some ancestry research and went to Yale Michigan and found the Drennan plots and grave markers. If that is any help we can e-mail them to you.
Here are the pictures I took yesterday at the Elmwood Cemetery in Yale Michigan.

The layout of the headstones are:
John Drennan is on the right under the Flag. To the right of the DRENNAN large marker is Sarah J Drennan Howse(Daughter). Next is William N Drennan(son) then Prospyna Drennan (wife)then John Drennan(Father). The large memorial in front is for Etta J Holmes Drennan (Daughter-in-law, wife of James A Drennan). to her right are her parents Elmira and Thomas Holmes.

There is one small stone with the name ETTA that lays flat and was partially buried that was directly infront of the Drennan Monument. I don't know what it means because there is the piller monument for Etta J.

ETTA J Drennan's monument is hard to read, here is what is written.

IN MEMORY OF
ETTA J BELOVED WIFE OF JAMES DRENNAN
DIED: AUG 9 1895
AGED
22YRS 9MOS 27 DS

I added this information to my ancestry tree and also to Find a Grave web site www.findagrave.com .

Tom Howells
per page

Find a board about a specific topic