Search for content in message boards

Hawleyville

Hawleyville

Heather (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooper
Im trying to find out information on Hawleyville Ct Im trying to find out whom the town was named after and why..any info would be very helpfullll.

Hawleyville, CT

Evelyn Beran (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HAWLEY, BOOTH, BIRDSEYE
Four Hawley siblings came to Connecticut early:

1. Joseph Hawley, b. 1603, probably at Parwich, Derbyshire England; at Stratford, Fairfield County CT in 1649 and perhaps before. He married Katherine Birdseye, daughter of John Birdseye, ca. 1646. His son Samuel married 1) Mary Thompson and 2) Patience Nichols; they remained at Stratford. Benjamin Hawley, son of the second marriage, married Experience Dibble. Benjamin farmed at "Landsend", Hawleyville, and all the Hawleys of Newtown are supposed to be descended from him, so I would assume Hawleyville was named after him and his family.

2. Hannah Hawley, married John Ufford, divorced him on the grounds he was "not suited to the marriage relationship" and she married Capt. John Beard. They resided at Milford. The New Haven Court felt a bit ill-used when John Ufford sought permission to marry Martha Nettleton, who, if my dates are correct, was pregnant at the time. John and Martha had eight children.

3. Elizabeth Hawley married Richard Booth about 1640, probably soon after Richard arrived in Stratford CT.

4. Thomas Hawley came first to Roxbury, MA. He married 1) Emma (___) and 2) Dorothy Harbottle, widow of Thomas Lamb. He died in Sudbury. His son Joseph went to Northampton MA. His daughter Dorothy married John Booth, son of Richard Booth and Elizabeth Hawley and settled in Stratford.

I have lines of descent through both 3. Elizabeth and 4. Thomas.

Sources include:
George Little: Genealogical and Family History of Maine
Rebecca Donaldson Beach & Rebecca Donaldson Gibbons: The Reverend John Beach and His Descendants.
Donald Lines Jacobus: History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield

Re: Hawleyville, CT

Posted: 6 Jan 2005 12:16AM GMT
Would love to hear about the Rev John Beach as he was suppose to be a good friend of my ggggggrandfather Daniel Booth and md him to Eunice Bennett (interesting story).
Also my line goes from Daniel to Jonathan Booth to John Booth to Richard and Elizabeth (Hawley) Booth.

Re: Hawleyville, CT - Richard BOOTH/Elizabeth HAWLEY

Posted: 6 Jan 2005 1:53AM GMT
Interesting!! I am also descended from Richard BOOTH and Elizabeth HAWLEY through their daughter, Bethia BOOTH who married Joseph CURTIS.

Re: Hawleyville, CT - Richard BOOTH/Elizabeth HAWLEY

Ardith Newbold (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Hawley, Birdseye, Osborn, Gregory, Curtis
I too am part of your tree. I think she was a brother og Bethya Booth?

I think mine fits in with Joannah Booth, b. 1661, Stratford, Fairfield, CT. She married Dea. Thomas Hawley, son of Samuel H. Sr. Hawley and Catherine Birdseye.
I have been working on this line but it is likely there is mistakes. I do appreciate any assistance.

Kindest regards,
Ardith Newbold (Osborne & Gregory) Southport, CT

Posted: 4 Apr 2005 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Hawley, Curtis, etc, et al
Hello. I'm a Booth come down through Richard and Elizabeth Hawley's grandson John. I met with a Curtis last week who is updating the Booth genealogy starting where the present one left off - William Lewis Booth, son of Captain William Booth. He is also working on Beardsley, Curtis, all those other names you mention. Any interest?

Anna Hayes (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2005 12:08AM GMT
Surnames: BOOTH, CURTIS, HAWLEY, etc. of Hawleyville
I would definately be interested. ALL THOSE NAMES ARE MINE!!!! Is this person who's doing this update on line?

Posted: 9 May 2005 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Curtis, et al
Sorry I am late replying. I forgot to check for replies. Yes, he is online. His name is Count Curtis and his website is www.genealogycentral.net. You can see the surnames he has written books on and is researching.
Marilyn Booth Glabicki
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions