Search for content in message boards

Abiah or Abijah Edwards

Abiah or Abijah Edwards

James Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edwards
Recently have discovered my ancestor Abiah or Abijah Edwards was born in Glamorgan in 1654. I'm looking for any information anyone can provide. I have extensive data on his American decendants I'm happy to provide.

Regards, James Edwards
Plano, Texas

Abiah Edwards Shipwrigh

Posted: 29 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2003 10:39PM GMT
Surnames: Edwards, Sutton
I am looking for proof that Abiah/Abijah/Obadiah Edwards was born in Glamorganshire in the 1650-1670's. Where do I go to find early records? He is in Shrewsbury, Monmouth, New Jersey in the late 1600's and is listed on his son's Jonathan Edwards marriage bann to Isabel Lewis @ Nottingham Twp., (Quaker Records) in Pennsylvania as being the father of Jonathan. He was a shipwright by trade and captained the sloop "Desire" in the early 1700's. I would like to get a copy of the ship's log or passenger listing, etc. He sailed the sloop between Shrewsbury, Monmouth, New Jersey and New York,NY (new amsterdam then). He did in 1714/15 in Shrewsbury. Listed as a item on his inventory is a "scoal".
Can anyone help out? I've been searching for 25 years for my 8 ff father. Where do I need to go to find a entry or log of his coming to America from Glamorganshire, Wales? Are there early passenger lists listing "ships carpenters" from Wales to America? Thanks Karen

edwards, obediah

cheryl ellis (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Obediah Edwards married Elizabeth ?, listed on the 1830 census in North Carolina. Located in Lincoln County,NC.
He was born in 1796 or 1797. He and Elizabeth had 10 children. I am looking for info on James Wheeler Edwards born Jan. 1, 1851. He died on June 8, 1922 of Malaria Fever.
I would appreciate any info that would connect to my family.

Re: Abiah or Abijah Edwards

Posted: 16 Aug 2002 5:05AM GMT
Hi,

I have just started seaarching for the Edwards in Illinois. I have several burried at Calvery cemetery in Evanston IL, however there last name was mis spelled as Elward..frist names James F. interment 4/14/19, Bridget Edward (Elward) 6/3/35, James E. Edward (Wlward) 10/13/44 and Catherine Edward (Elward) 4/27/1991 are any of these familer to you?

If we can connect please email me at ebcvmurphy@aol.com, I will get it faster and respond to you asas.

Thanks in Advance
Edith

Karen L. Wofford (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2006 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: Edwards, Abiah and Phylipp Edwardd/Edwards
Hi James,
I was going thru the old rootsweb message board and found your name.. I'm curious where you found the glamorgan record on old obiah/abiah edwards my 9th gg father. Please expound..Below is some information for your use..
His father was Phylipp Edwardd/Edwards admitted as a inhabitant of Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1662 and was found drowned in 1664 by Captain Roger Clapp at the castle fortress in Boston harbor..
Below is listed what I have on Abiah.. I've been looking for Abiah for 28 years and this information listed below was just found..
Tuesday, August 3, 2004 at 2:48 am.. typing what I found on www.godfrey.org internet site: Anonymous author, "Records of the Suffolk County Court : 1671-1680.
Boston: The Society, 1933, 1334 pgs. page 280 has the following regarding a court case of miller vs roscoe: Abiah Edwards appears as a witness to viewing a vessel. The person who is writing of the case says the following: "Abiah Edwards aged two & twenty years or thereabouts testifieth yt hee was one of the persons who viewed the vessel above & set his hand to this Returne & see it signed by the other persons this 30th 4 mo. 1673. Taken before me Walter Clarke Assistant ...true coppie..Jssac Addington cler. Now calculating this means Abiah was born if you use the quaker system of march being the first month, the fourth month would be June 30, 1673 that this document was made. Minus 22 years from 1673 and his date of birth calculates out as 1651 or thereabouts as the judge says..
Source of information: Anonymous p. 280 Records of the Suffolk County Court Part 1 : 1671-1680.Boston: The Society, 1933, 1334 pgs. Volume XXIX.
Author or publisher is The Colonial Society of Massachusetts, Published in Boston, Publisher: The Society, Date of Publication: 1933, Page Count: 2 volumes, Notes: includes bibliographical references and indexes. This is one of the publications of The Colonial Society of Massachusetts established from 1692-1892 (seal on the title page), and has The University Press, Cambridge, USA. the book seems to have been at the Harvard College Library as there is a stamp listing it as such.
I think that Abiah/ Obiah Edwards was named after his grandfather Obadiah Edwards of Barbadoes.
I believe that the list of Obiah Edwards listed in 1669 in Shrewsbury, Monmouth County, New Jersey is proof that Obiah Edwards was named after Obadiah Edwards, his grandfather, who was living in Barbados and died probably in 1653/54 will proved in 1655. I think that my 8 gg father Abiah Edwards, just changed his first name from Obiah to Abiah in the true american fashion..
Now Abiah/Obiah Edwards my 8th gg father and his wife Naomi, the Indian Princess of the Shinnecock tribe (perhaps Mohawk) off of Maine and Long Island , New York named his first born son Phillip, after his father which would be in keeping with the English naming traditions of the time.i.e. first born male after father, etc.
Now the proof will lie in the pudding if the wills have more family listed which I think they will.
I also believe that Obiah/Abiah Edwards was a young lad when his father Phylipp Edwardd/Edwards left Wales and traveled to Barbadoes to see his father <not proved yet> Obadiah Edwards in the early 1600's who was a Captain of a Company in the Regiment of Colonel Fortescue there. It's just a theory and perhaps in a future time this riddle will be answered. Apr 29,2006.
After 28 years of searching, I'm getting tired and would like some answers..

Furthermore, I think<have a hunch> that the great grandfather of Abiah /Obiah Edwards was ap Phillipp EDWARD, of parish of Llandewy Ystradenny, County Radnorshire, Wales as proved by his grandfather's will proved 9 July 1655 in the Prerogative Of Canterbury Court in London, England by David ap Griffith who remains unknown at this time. The abstract reads as follows: " ap EDWARD, Phillip, of p. Llandewy Ystradenny, co. Radnor, Will [299 Avlett] proved July 9 by David ap Griffith. Year 1655." If not there has to be some kind of relationship here.
If I am wrong so be it, but right now I would like to see any kind of proof connecting these guys to England, Scotland or Wales..

Re: edwards, obediah

Posted: 7 Nov 2007 9:32PM GMT
Cheryl,
Has anyone ever replied to your post? My husband is a g-g grandson of James Wheeler Edwards.

Kim Neely

Posted: 18 Oct 2008 10:11PM GMT
Karen,
Wow! You have an incredible amount of information. I was just looking to see if I could find something about Jonathan Edwards and Isabelle Lewis.
So from what you've found-- Obidah Edwards was father to Philip who was father to Abiah, who was the father to Jonathan. Right? I have that Abiah was married first to Mary Sutton. Do you know if any of his children are hers? My line follows Jonathan down through the Bowens, Blackburns, Gordons & Hammers.
Thanks,
Carole
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions