Goings descendants of Albemarle, VA

Goings descendants of Albemarle, VA

yvonne (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2005 2:35PM GMT

Re: Goings descendants of Albemarle, VA

Posted: 2 Oct 2007 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bruce, Shiflet, Edmonds, gordon, Fitzhug, Lee
I have some partial census records of a goings family in Albemarle Co, ca. 1850. what are you looking for?

Posted: 11 Dec 2007 10:33PM GMT
Thanks but I have the 1850 census. Looking for anyone who is related to and researching the Sharod Goings, Sr family of Albermarle County, VA.

Re: Tobie or Tobias Goings d 1937 in Alb.

Posted: 18 Dec 2007 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Goings, Truehart, Johnson
This is not on the exact point of Sherod Goings.
Alb. Chancery drawer new style drawer # 2: Cora Goings vs. George Gilmer trustee. Tobie B. Goings died May 4, 1936 in Alb. owning 98+ acres with a deed of trust. Cora the widow gave deposition May 15, 1937. " I am his widow 65 years old. Children: Elizabeth Pritchett, Nannie Botts wife of George D. Botts, Fred A. Goings, Nimrod Goings, Winston T. Goings (wife Maude E.), and a dec'd dau Bettie B. Cobbs wife of Dr. H.P. Cobbs. The Cobbs have infants listed as of 1937: Salle 16, Katie 15, henry 13, Going 12, Wilson 8, Winston 7 and Jesse 7.

I know that Maude and Winston T. Goings both died around 1972 in Charlottesville. He was a builder and they owned to houses on Grady ave. Winston T. was a WWI veteran. Maude was a daughter of William Truehart and Ada Johnson. The Trueharts owned land on the south end of Ridge St. Ada's mother was Mary Johnson. She lived with Joel Wheeler at Monticello during the civil war. Mary Johnson was a former slave of Joel Wheeler. (her parents were Robert & Elizabeth Johnson). She lived at Monticello from 1860 to about 1878 or 1879. She married Reuben Barbour though Ada kept the Johnson name. Mary was present in 1864 during the Union raid on Monticello. Riffin Barbour who died in the early 1970s in columbus Ohio was an uncle of Maude Goings.

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 1:18PM GMT
To Whom Concerned;

I am the grandson of Tobias Goings of Pigeon Top Mountain.
My father was Fred A. Goings of Culpeper, Virginia and now I (Nimrod A.Goings) live in Washington, DC. I am researching information for a family tree. The Terry's (Massie Terry)are family as well. Can you lead me in the right direction?

Thank you kindley,

Nimrod Goings
4736 6th Place, N.E.
Washington, DC. 20017
(H)202-529-3277
(W)202-824-7464
nimrodgoings@msn.com (H)
NGoings@ussiclean.com (W)

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 6:02PM GMT
Yvonne - I came across a posting on a Lumbee Indians website stating "William Going [of Pittsylvania County, VA] marries Susan Bruce, 21 Aug 1821...Anna (mother of the groom) states that William is a free person of color .... Thomas (father of the bride) gives consent (perhaps indicating that Susan or Susanna is underage and marrying with his consent?). Do you have any more information on this couple?

Thanks,
Lee

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 9:47PM GMT
Thanks. But, no, I don't have additonal info on the William you are referring to.

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 2:29PM GMT
I also am looking for information. My great grandfather was Nicholas Bouregard Goin from Albemarle. His father was Robert A. Going - different name spellings - but can't seem to find anything. He supposedly was shot in 1909 by his neighbor Charlie Powell in an argument. Nicholas had a brother Fitchugh Lee and he changed the spelling to Gowen. Nicholas md. Lucy Jane Peters first, died in childbirth, then md. Mary K. Branham and had 7 more children. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Tina my e mail is ernie1109@gmail.com or grainie1@aol.com. Thanks

Re: Tobie or Tobias Goings d 1937 in Alb.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: Goings Cobbs
Hello:
I am the grand daughter Bette Bell Goings Cobbs. I would greatly look forward to connecting with you.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 3:49PM GMT
Dear Nim:
This is your cousin Yvette. I am the granddaughter of Bette Bell Goings and sister of Helene Jackson. We met you several years ago at a Thanksgiving Dinner my nephew, Warren brown, gave at his Cakelove Cafe. I would love to connect again.
With Love,
Yvette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions