Search for content in message boards

Oskar Tannenbaum WW1 Records

Oskar Tannenbaum WW1 Records

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 9:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tannenbaum
I'm looking for any information about my Jewish great grandfather, Oskar Tannenbaum, born probably in Romania and died in Berlin in 1937. I know he fought on the Austrian side in WW1 and would like to find out more about this. It's possible he was doing some kind of translation work, but I can't be sure of that.

Are there any records available online, or elsewhere? I found another thread from last year that suggested there was a list somewhere, but I couldn't work the links and download necessary plug ins.

Many thanks!

Re: Oskar Tannenbaum WW1 Records

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 12:59PM GMT
The Kramerius site operated by Czech National Library is still on line. But there is no listing of an "Oskar Tannenbaum" in the casualty reports nor in the "Nachrichten über Verwundete und Kranke".
CK

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 3:57PM GMT
Hi Carl,

Many thanks for checking these records for me I really appreciate you help. Ah, that's a shame there's no mention. I will have to do some more digging yet. Would the next step be the war archives in Vienna? If so, you know if they will answer an email enquiry or is it best to write a letter?

All best,

Eleanor

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 8:49PM GMT
You asked: "Would the next step be the war archives in Vienna? If so,"do" you know if they will answer an email inquiry or is it best to write a letter?"

Maybe. The Austrian Archives have the WWI records for Austrian soldiers. But it is unlikely that they will have any records for your area of the Empire for WWI. They would have records for all officers but not for the enlisted men. WWI records for soldiers from most regions outside of the current boundaries of Austria were recorded by or given to the successor nations. Sadly, most of these records were destroyed.

The Kriegs Archive will respond to emails but to do a search they will ask for a reasonable fee to do it. I always hate to say that finding the military records for a given individual is unlikely but I do think that is the situation here. Sorry.

Have you thought about looking for records of earlier ancestors? They are much more complete.
CK

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 8:57PM GMT
Thanks Carl, we don't know what Oskar's parents' names were, but are hoping to find a death certificate as we recently managed to find his date of death. He died in 1937 in Berlin, so again, I'm not sure if this record will have survived. But we'll have a look.

I don't know if he was recruited from Romania or if he was already further West by that time. He married a Lithuanian. If anything turns up I'll be back here probably with more questions.

Once again many thanks.

Eleanor
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions