Posted: 14 Jul 2004 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dalton/Gregg
Name: Elias Presley Dalton
Birth: 21 JUN 1854 in Clay Co., IN
Death: 13 OCT 1939 in Washburn, Barry County, MO
Marriage Mary Ellen Gregg b: 15 OCT 1858 in Buffalo, Dallas County, MO
Married: 15 MAR 1877 in Buffalo, Dallas, Missouri 1
I'm tring to find Elias's father and mother can any one help me I'm stuck thanks Nick

Re: Elias Presley Dalton

Beth Roller (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: DALTON, GREGG, OWEN
My GGGrandparents are William Aron DALTON, born 1818 in Indiana and Rebecca OWEN, born 1822 in Kentucky. They had four children, Justin DALTON, born in 1844, Elias Presley DALTON, born June 21, 1854 in Clay County, Indiana, Elizabeth A. DALTON, born in 1858, and Robert W. DALTON, born in 1860. The son, Elias , moved to Southwest Missouri sometime prior to June 1879. Elias married Mary Ellen GREGG, born October 15, 1858 in Buffalo, New York. The 1870 Clay County census shows: DALTON, William A. age 53 born in IN and DALTON, Rebecca age 49 born in KY. I also found a curious entry in the 1850 Clay county Indiana census for a William and Rebecca DATTON. (The ages seem to fit.)

Ken Haas (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 8:07PM GMT

Beth -

William A. and Rebecca Dalton were in Dallas County, Missouri in 1880. Ar home were sons Silas J. 33, Robert W. 20 and William H. 17, all born in Indiana.

Old Wm was born in Indiana ca 1817, his parents both born in Va.

Elias 25 was married and in Dallas County also in 1880 with a son Richard, just eleven momnths old. He was in Benton Twp,. the father in Jackson Twp.

The earliest Daltons/Doltons I find in Clay County, Indiana are 1830 - Jacob Dolton, 1840 - John Dalton. Sr., 1850 - Samson and three Williams. Old John was in Harrison Twp in 1840, two Wms and Samson in that Twp in 1850.

You might check the census for 1840 and see if old John had a son in the 20-30 age bracket that year.

The Daltons were connected to the Owens family in Pittsylvania Countyu, Va ca 1800.

- Ken

Melanie Crain (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2005 2:56PM GMT
If the Pittsylvania Co. VA lead doesn't work out, try this one:
William Aron may have been the son of John Dalton who married Jennie Phipps. The primary Dalton researchers of Clay Co. IN (Margaret Baker, Pam Dalton, and Gary Phipps) place William Aron in the family of David Dalton (Jr?) whose line started out in Albemarle Co., went through Rutherford Co. NC and/or Greenbrier Co. WV, then to Roane Co. TN, and finally to the southern Indiana region.

John and Jennie's children were: Samson, b. c1812 TN, Patience, b. 1815, William M. Aron, b. 1817 TN, John Jennings b. 1819 IN, Robert, b. 1829 IN, and Marion (male), b. 1830 IN.

The list of children for William A. and Rebecca from these same researchers is: Hannah, b. 1842, Silas Justin, b. 1844, Elias Presley, b. 1854, Elizabeth A., b. 1858, Robert W., b. c1860, and W. N. and Lidda--both without years of birth.

--Melanie

Beth Roller (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2005 7:21PM GMT
Ken, Thanks so much for your information. I had located most of it (plus some) and really didn't know which direction to look for a follow-up. I will look for documentation as I do not like speculation!! I've noticed in some of your other posts that your view of being related to the "Dalton Gang" seems to coincide with my own...I would rather prove to be related to law abiding, upstanding Daltons than the likes of the "Gang". My Great Grandfather Elias was a traveling preacher. Anyway, thanks for your help. Beth

Beth Roller (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2005 7:27PM GMT
Melanie, Thanks so much for your post. This sounds like a very good direction to look. I hope to find documentation to add to my files. I appreciate people who are willing to share their information very much. It makes searching for our roots much easier and causes a sort of "family bond" to form with people all across our nation. Thanks again.

Beth

Nick Balz (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 6:48PM GMT
Beth my gggrandpa was Elias Presley Dalton I would be happy to share info with you

Beth Roller (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 8:36PM GMT
Nick, I'm guessing that Uncle "Jap" is your gg-grandather and that maybe your grandfather was Johnnie. If you'll e-mail me directly at: droller@centurytel.net we can get the ball rolling on sharing what we have. I don't have a lot of documentation yet just good leads.
Beth

Posted: 3 Mar 2007 8:23AM GMT
I think Rebecca Owen is the daughter of Presley Owen and Elizabeth Unknown. They moved from Clay County IN to Stone County, MO in the 1850's. Presley died in 1858.Stone County is next door to Barry County on the west and Taney county on the east. Presley's son Joshua Owen married Elizabeth Sondles in IN in 1852. They were in Stone County in the Civil War where Joshua was hung as a bushwacker. The following quote talks about cooprider and Church who were neighbors in 1850 of Presley Owen.

"If one is to believe an account in TRAVIS's HISTORY OF CLAY CO., INDIANA, Joshua OWEN was never buried. On pages 538-539 is the following account: "Within the first quarter of a century of the county's history there lived in Harrison township a man named Presley OWEN, who emigrated to southwest Missouri before the Civil War--at some time in the fifties. While in this county OWEN was regarded as a man of considerable prominence, especially so in local politics, having been at various times a candidate for county office. In the family there were six sons, all of whom went to Missouri. As they were on the border line of union and disunion, two of them enlisted in the Federal and two in the Confederate army, while the other two joined the bushwhackers, in whose ranks Joshua OWEN, the eldest son, became a captain. The bushwhackers cared no more nor no less for one side than for the other and committed their depradations alike upon unionists and disunionists. They were sometimes routed and pursued by detachments from the Union forces and at other times by detachments from the Rebel army. Once upon a time a large number of them were corraled, including Captain Joshua OWEN and his men, and the leaders dealt with summarily by hanging. When Elias COOPRIDER and Elijah CHURCH made a trip down into that part of the country in 1871, six years after the war closed, when lands in Tawney and other counties in southwest Missouri were being sold hereabout by agents, they came into association with residents on White river who entertained them with detailed accounts of the bushwhacker element, and especially of the fate of Captain Joshua OWEN, who was shown no quarters whatever, of whom a most wretched example was made by his captors. Instead of suspending him in the usual way, an upright limb on a jack-oak tree was cut down to a stub, the end of which was then sharpened to a point and driven into the base of the skull from the back of the neck to a sufficient depth to make sure of its holding the body, and there it continued to dangle untouched by anyone. They (COOPRIDER and CHURCH) were told that the skull was still pinioned to the stub of that limb, but that the bones of the body lay strewn about on the ground under the tree, as might be seen by anyone going upon the scene."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions