Search for content in message boards

Upcoming Search Feature

Upcoming Search Feature

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi all,

I wanted to give you a heads up about an upcoming search feature that we developed in response to some of the feedback we received about search results.

You've requested that we help reduce the scrolling you need to do as you review search results. While there is certainly more we can do, we feel this first project gets us a little closer to where we'd like to be.

Specifically, we are reducing the amount of space taken up in search results for records that are already attached to your online tree when you do a search from your tree. The easiest way to think of it is that where you currently see the green check mark next to a record in search results (because it is already saved to your tree), we will now show a single line of information so you don't need to scroll through all the info you've already reviewed and accepted. Of course, you can still hover over the record to see the full details when you want a reminder.

I've attached a mock of what the feature will (more or less) look like when we release it.

John
Ancestry.com
Search Product Team
Attachments:

Re: Upcoming Search Feature

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 12:29AM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2012 12:30AM GMT
John,

That is a start but...

If it can already identify which are already attached then why not just leave them out of the search results entirely?

Sure would save a lot of space (allowing more records per page)AND scrolling.

*GRIN*

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 12:32AM GMT
No, I like the idea of leaving the "abbreviated - already attached" record in the search results. I usually don't search from within my family tree. In fact, I keep the family tree online only as a "cousin catcher." I do most of my work on my desktop program. Therefore the "already attached" records serve as quick reminder of what I have already found.

Sharon

PS: Thanks for the "heads up" on this change.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 12:46AM GMT
Looks nice. I like the idea of keeping the reference there. It's a handy reminder of what is already attached.

Rosemary

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 2:33AM GMT
John,

Thanks for the update.

Will you also include, in the abbreviated format, "public member photos & scanned documents?"

For my core family direct lines, I may have dozens of City Directory pages, birth, marriage and death records. When I search from within my tree, I have to scroll past all of that info that I have created before I can get to anything new/different/of interest.

Oh - and if someone - or multiple someones - has copied from my tree, I have to scroll past the same info again.

See attached clip.

Attachments:

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 2:35AM GMT
Let's say, Andy, that the 1910 census "line item" was not showing. Would that be because Ancestry "hid" it from you (per your suggestion) or because the search results did not find a match to begin with. Please, Andy. Try not to *GRIN* until you've thought of something that makes sense.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 3:29AM GMT
John's post said:

"Specifically, we are reducing the amount of space taken up in search results for records that are already attached to your online tree when you do a search from your tree."

Note the "when you do a search from your tree"

When one is searching from their tree then they are- or at least should be- already aware of what is or is not attached to the person and thereby know the reason if something doesn't show in the results (you either already know it is attached or you know it isn't attached so you know it isn't found by the search engine).

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 5:10AM GMT
ok, Andy ... whatever you say.
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 6:58AM GMT
John,

Nice, and thanks for the heads-up.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 7:27AM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2012 7:31AM GMT
I search from my tree and I definately want to see it. Any further benefit in scrolling would be lost in my clicking back and forth to review. I will miss the more detailed view as I use it to constantly review and re-evaluate. Seeing two detailed items together can sometimes cause me to rethink a choice or sometimes an item to be compared didn't show up the first time I searched.

If you want to save space move stories to a separate heading for the search area than with books (when the search is narrowed). Also, use thumbnails for photos.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions