Search for content in message boards

William Holland Thomas

William Holland Thomas

Posted: 13 Apr 2010 5:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thomas
Hi, I'm a descendant of William Holland Thomas through his wife, Sarah Jane Burney Love Thomas. I'm researching a book about him and am looking for possible descendants of his through his relationships with other women. If you think you may be descended from him, I'd love to hear from you!
My email is ebeth.avery@gmail.com

Re: William Holland Thomas

Posted: 21 May 2010 4:06AM GMT
Surnames: Dennis Thomas
Hi. I wish to enlighten you regarding the claims certain Dennis individuals will make regarding their descent from William Holland Thomas. Our gggrandmother, Delilah Thomas, married our gggrandfather John Dennis in 1845. Over the years, the family lost sight of Delilah's ancestry. A cousin of mine spent some time in the 1970's trying to piece together our ancestry and decided, from what evidence I do not know, that Delilah Thomas was the daughter of William Holland Thomas. Now his genealogy is spread throughout the family and the Internet. Since the cousin died in the 1980's I cannot ascertain why he wanted to make Delilah a daughter of William Holland Thomas. There is no empirical evidence to buttress the assertion. However, there is evidence that casts great doubt on the familal connection to William Holland Thomas.

Delilah and John Dennis, McNary County, Tennessee, marriage certificate lists her as MRS. Delilah Thomas, implying she was a widow who was previously married to a Thomas. Furthermore, when Delilah and John married, she had a son named Robert Ethelred Thomas. In the 1840 Tennessee census record, there is an Eliza Thomas living in McNairy County with a female in the household of about the right age to be Delilah and a son of about the right age to be Robert Ethelred. The implication is, Delilah was probabaly married to Eliza Thomas, whendce her Thomas name was derived. (One family source states Thomas was a waterman, left on a river trip, and never returned.)

Additionally, I have found a distant family source whose oral tradition states Delilah was born in western Kentucky. There are several later census records which identify her birth state as Kentucky. William Holland Thomas lived in western North Carolina, many miles from western Kentucky.

There is one additional fact that, in my mind, cements the case against Delilah being the daughter of William Holland Thomas. However, I keep this to myself since I am publishing her genealogy at my www.scribd.com web site in a few days.

Given all the above, it is extremely unlikely Delilah was a daughter of William Holland Thomas. I will be most appreciate if you do not include Delilah in your book. But, if you decide to do such a thing, I hope you have the scholarship to include the above facts.

Re: William Holland Thomas

Posted: 9 Jan 2011 3:28AM GMT
We (my family) are from the "other woman" you may be referring to...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions